Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:
Breastfeeding Month Moms Meeting Help???

Hi everyone! I'm a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor. For Breastfeeding Awareness Month, we're having a Moms meeting. We'll probably provide drinks & cookies (I'm thinking about making some lactation cookies ^_~) and have a Q&A session and a presentation on 1-2 topics. I was wondering if anyone here has some possible topics that you would enjoy hearing about if you went to a similar meeting. Most of the moms that would come to these will have babies under 6 months old.

Topics I was thinking of addressing:
Breastfeeding in Public
Position & Latch
Common Issues/Problems (blood/milk blisters, clogged ducts, mastitis, etc)

What do y'all think of these? Are there others you can think of? What would be your top 2 picks that you would want to hear about in your first 6 months of BF'ing? Do you have any great illustrative links for any of these topics?
Thanks!
Amy

Advertisement

~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Breastfeeding Month Moms Meeting Help???

For mamas who already have babies, and those babies are <6 months, the topics you suggested all sound interesting. Other possible topics include:
-part time pumping/EBM bottle feeding for those moms going back to work, and information about working mom's support groups if there is one in your area
-phone numbers for certified lactation consultants and some problems the moms might encounter that would be worth phone calls
-other reputable resources (such as kellymom's website, books that are carried at the local library, etc)
-how to deal with decreasing supply due to AF's return
-what is NOT normal/needs help when BF
-benefits of continuing to breastfeed past 6-8 weeks, for mama and baby (ie don't give up!)
-debunking of myths
-why wait to introduce solids
-how long babies are physiologically programmed to expect to be nursed
-what to do to adjust when baby gets teeth (don't give up!)
-a few snappy comebacks for family/friends/acquiantences who are vocally anti-breastfeeding or anti-NIP, etc.

Hope you get lots of interested mamas.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Br2me
Registered Users
seller
seller

teh above post said it all!! all of that!!!
Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
mamma_z
Registered Users

I like all the topics above. Perhaps you could mention how breastfeeding changes (gets easier and less constant ) as the baby gets older, and that it continues to be nourishing physically and emotionally for LO.

At 6 months or less, talking about nursing in public is great. I would also be interested in seeing a demonstration of babywearing for nursing on the go if you have any carriers/slings. I didn't like being tied down for such long periods of time in the early months.
mamma_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the topic help ladies! Does anyone have any funny or interesting short stories or ideas for icebreakers that would help lead into a breastfeeding conversation? I want it to be fun and interesting...not sitting in a "class" environment but I'm not sure how to achieve that...any ideas?
~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
sweetpea101506
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know this sounds odd, but tell them that it's ok if they aren't able to BF. With my 1st two children, I tried and tried and tried to BF. I bought a $350 Medela double electric pump, took supplements... everything. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get my milk supply up enough to feed my LO. I felt absolutely horrible and was constantly told that there is 'no such thing as not having enough milk'. I ended up formula feeding with both of my children (I gave up about 6-8 weeks after they were born, having to supplement with formula due to my lack of milk) and for the longest time, I felt like the worst parent ever.

Now, that it's been a few years since my youngest was a baby, I chalk it up to my genes. When I hit puberty, I wasn't blessed with breasts, and I definitely didn't get them with either pregnancy or after my children were born.

I know better now, but back then I just wish I would've had someone there to tell me that I did my best and that I wasn't a horrible mom for formula feeding.
sweetpea101506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LizziesLoops* View Post
I want it to be fun and interesting...not sitting in a "class" environment but I'm not sure how to achieve that...any ideas?
Do you have any mamas who would be willing to come in and demo with their own <6 month babies? Gathering around to watch how to deal with a nursing cover, how to get the babywearing equipment on right, etc, would help keep everyone from sitting un-involved.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamma_z View Post
I like all the topics above. Perhaps you could mention how breastfeeding changes (gets easier and less constant ) as the baby gets older, and that it continues to be nourishing physically and emotionally for LO.
A graph of this with two lines was something my lactation educators presented, and it helped convey the idea. Unfortunately I can't find any similar graph online to show you what I mean, but it had a horizontal line for bottle feeding, and a line that started high and ended low for breastfeeding, and the two lines crossed at about 12 weeks.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think common misconceptions about breastfeeding would be a fantastic one to cover! Debunk some of the biggest myths out there.

Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote