Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #21
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do you feel about pediasure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
The sugar is in there to get easily digestible calories in your child. If your child didn't need the calories, you wouldn't be using pediasure. For many moms, it is a last ditch effort product before going to medical formulas. My son is on Peptamin Jr for 32 ounces a day, which is a hypoallergenic version of Pediasure. We'd love to be on it.

Pediasure is a product your child can live on. It is supplemental nutrition. If you are concerned, I would suggest you contact a pediatric nutritionist to work out an appropriate plan for your child. There are other products out there, but they all have sugar in some for or another to get the easily digestible calories in.
This.

We use Nutren. Insurance will cover it also if needed and your doctor writes a script.

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I very much understand that sensory issues require different approaches. I'd offer the Pediasure now & look into a feeding clinic or feeding program to bring professionals on board to help work on trying new foods & textures.

My 2 1/2 year old is on Neocate Jr only, no other food. He has a sensory processing disorder, severe food allergies, suspected EE, an extreme low blood sugar disorder & other neurological issues.

mom to 1 little guy (12/09) & 3 big girls ('02, '99 & '94)
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #23
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can check out the WAPF homemade formula recommendations. Even if you don't go all out and make the formula, you can see what natural alternatives (whole food) there are to pediasure. I would also recommend making your own broth- if she would eat that it would be a great supplement for her diet.
When I started weaning my daughter we switched to raw milk from a local farm. It's much more nutritious and is almost a complete food, even for humans. If you could get her to drink a lot of that it would be better than pediasure, imo. Also, maybe you can try offering her foods that are highly nutritious that she may not like, but she might just love them! My daughter eats salmon roe with her fingers, like candy! ugh. I really can't stand it, but it's one of the most nutritious foods on earth, so I'm glad that she likes it. I found a local source that is affordable. 1/2 teaspoon has in insane amount of vitamin D and A, something like 8,000 iu of vitamin D, plus K and lots of other nutrients.
Does she like coconut milk? Smoothies? Coconut milk or oil is another supplement that is very nutrient dense and health promoting.

Nothing against the pediasure or toddler formula moms, but I think that these foods allow kids to survive, not necessarily thrive. It's better than nothing, but there are lots of other natural foods out there that I feel are healthier for kids by virtue of them being whole food products with nothing synthetic added.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
You can check out the WAPF homemade formula recommendations. Even if you don't go all out and make the formula, you can see what natural alternatives (whole food) there are to pediasure. I would also recommend making your own broth- if she would eat that it would be a great supplement for her diet.
When I started weaning my daughter we switched to raw milk from a local farm. It's much more nutritious and is almost a complete food, even for humans. If you could get her to drink a lot of that it would be better than pediasure, imo. Also, maybe you can try offering her foods that are highly nutritious that she may not like, but she might just love them! My daughter eats salmon roe with her fingers, like candy! ugh. I really can't stand it, but it's one of the most nutritious foods on earth, so I'm glad that she likes it. I found a local source that is affordable. 1/2 teaspoon has in insane amount of vitamin D and A, something like 8,000 iu of vitamin D, plus K and lots of other nutrients.
Does she like coconut milk? Smoothies? Coconut milk or oil is another supplement that is very nutrient dense and health promoting.

Nothing against the pediasure or toddler formula moms, but I think that these foods allow kids to survive, not necessarily thrive. It's better than nothing, but there are lots of other natural foods out there that I feel are healthier for kids by virtue of them being whole food products with nothing synthetic added.
Thanks for this. I'm kind of hesitant to go the pediasure route again because it just doesn't seem the best but I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. We are looking at switching over to raw milk also and she does love milk and I think we have found a place that is close enough to get some. We are still offering her a wide variety of foods in hopes that she will try and like them, but it's really hard to get her to try things. Sometimes the look or smell of something will be enough that she will not even touch the food, and sometimes once she touches it she wrinkles her nose and drops it again. She didn't really end up eating anything yesterday, so I was kind of down about it, but today she ate some beans so that was encouraging. We had beans and dumplings....not beans and rice.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #25
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Mama- is your daughter in feeding therapy? I would suggest a good feeding therapist to start working on the sensitivities. DS is tube fed because he aspirated as an infant and now we are getting much closer to being off. He developed oral aversion from the NG tube. He works with a feeding therapist weekly.

I also recommend the Food Chaining book. It is super helpful.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 07-15-2012 at 12:51 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #26
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Mama- is your daughter in feeding therapy? I would suggest a good feeding therapist to start working on the sensitivities. DS is tube fed because he aspirated as an infant and now we are getting much closer to being off. He developed oral aversion from the NG tube. He works with a feeding therapist weekly.

I also recommend the Food Chaining book. It is super helpful.
She's not in feeding therapy. Is that through EI or something else? She's always had sensory issues but lately they are getting much worse. Before there was just a few foods she would avoid but the list is growing pretty quick. She does have a OT but he's not very experienced so we're trying to find someone else but there's just not many around here at all. The couple that are here are so hard to get into to because they are already overbooked, and one of those is quitting so it's going to be getting even harder. I will definatly check into the book so thanks for the rec!

ETA: Just thought I might add that she is in first steps (EI for MO). They are overbooked and you can't really get into anything though which is so frustrating! They have a wonderful PT that she graduated from, but they don't have a ST right now so she goes through a clinic for that and their OT is one of the ones that is too booked to get into and is quitting it a week or two. So she goes to a clinic for that too--I don't want to give up her spot there with the OT because we won't be able to get back in, but I don't really feel like he's helping.

Last edited by jen_batten; 07-15-2012 at 09:32 PM.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #27
pcjs
Registered Users

How about a compromise and getting something like Gerber Sips? It is an in-between of everything. They have plain, vanilla and strawberry but I used to have a tuff time finding the plain. My son liked it for a while but then stopped. Its made for toddlers.

http://www.gerber.com/allstages/prod...age_plain.aspx
Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #28
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

An ST should have some experience in feeding therapy. I would talk to your speech person, and she what she thinks.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #29
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
An ST should have some experience in feeding therapy. I would talk to your speech person, and she what she thinks.
Not all and not all will do it. We had a feeding therapy set up and canceled it. We've now seen 3 speech therapists (one for evaluation only) and all claimed to have experience but when asked for advice none gave us any. (and the ped's only suggestion was to stop the formula which we will not do for the extra nutrition). One on her website was specifically trained in it which was one reason I switched to her.