Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
ma-meem
Registered Users
Formerly: ecoMama2b
seller

Re: TTA while breastfeeding Advice

charting and FAM!

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
4mes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I suggest the sympto thermal method of NFP as taught by CCL. It cross checks three fertility signs for greater accuracy. Those signs are temp., cervical mucus, and cervical position. I am not a fan of of NFP methods that only track cervical mucus especially when tta while breastfeeding. Using any type of NFP is a bit trickier to use while breastfeeding because you are not cycling (typically). When you start gearing up to become fertile the signs are harder to interpret especially mucus.

Also, some woman whether breastfeeding or not may have all the time mucus do to hormone or dietary issues. Due to this they will be abstaining a lot.

4mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #13
Kap7270
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mes View Post
I suggest the sympto thermal method of NFP as taught by CCL. It cross checks three fertility signs for greater accuracy. Those signs are temp., cervical mucus, and cervical position. I am not a fan of of NFP methods that only track cervical mucus especially when tta while breastfeeding. Using any type of NFP is a bit trickier to use while breastfeeding because you are not cycling (typically). When you start gearing up to become fertile the signs are harder to interpret especially mucus.

Also, some woman whether breastfeeding or not may have all the time mucus do to hormone or dietary issues. Due to this they will be abstaining a lot.
there is certainly nothing wrong with sympto thermal, but I must disagree with your assessment of the cervical mucus only methods. With a well-trained teacher (which is certainly what you would get with the Creighton Model), continuos mucus is easily handled. We can figure out which cervical mucus is infertile and which is true fertility, and the unintended pregnancy rate is not higher than the published rates for all couples. They certainly won't be having to abstain a lot when we determine the true signs of fertility.
Kap7270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
pastdiapers
Registered Users

My Mood:

Since you have a more serious reason to avoid a pregnancy, I would recommend charting temps and mucus: more data; and your husband can help chart and interpret. NFPInternational has an online course and you can print free charts; you can work with the authors of the NFP, the Complete Approach book who have been doing this work for 40 years; best wishes - we used it for over 20 years; you can also check the cervix for more data - this is called symptothermal method
pastdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #15
foundrychick
Registered Users

My Mood:

How does the Creighton method differ from NFP charting basal temp/cervical mucus? Thank you! Has anyone had difficulties during breastfeeding charting? I am up so much in the middle of the night still breastfeeding or just waking up to pump....how do I take early morning temp? we've been using condoms since I cant figure out how to get into charting rhythm...
foundrychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:08 AM   #16
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundrychick
How does the Creighton method differ from NFP charting basal temp/cervical mucus? Thank you! Has anyone had difficulties during breastfeeding charting? I am up so much in the middle of the night still breastfeeding or just waking up to pump....how do I take early morning temp? we've been using condoms since I cant figure out how to get into charting rhythm...
Would also like to know. Thanks
Old 07-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #17
Kap7270
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundrychick View Post
Creighton Model checks for cervical mucus only. There is no need to take the basal body temperature (which can be negatively affected by irregular wake up times and lack of sleep). The research on the Creighton Model (beginning in 1968) shows that cervical mucus is the only sign that is needed for the high effectiveness that has been published (99.5% with perfect use and 96.8% with typical use for avoiding pregnancy).
Cervical mucus gives you the advance notice that you need that your body is starting to rev up for ovulation. In a breastfeeding mom who is just returning to fertility, there are often (but not always!) several attempts to rev up before ovulation actually occurs. This is easily handled by the special instructions for breastfeeding moms. The teacher continues to closely watch even experienced charters while they are waiting for their first post partum menses (meeting in person or on the phone every six weeks)- it can be a time when charting patterns are variable and we want to make sure that the couple is well supported. Someone previously mentioned continuous mucus (which is certainly not unusual) - the teachers are well trained to help the couple identify the true days of fertility.
If you would like more info on the Creighton Model, let me know
Kap7270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
stephaniebrookeh5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had two pregnancies on Creighton. But, I am also pregnant again after permanent sterilization via Adiana procedure. So, maybe I am an exception. BTW, I was not practicing Creighton after Adiana.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #19
JCJmama
Registered Users

Could I get the creighton model info as well please? Thank you.
JCJmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #20
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use condoms and fertility awareness, though I don't chart or temp.

Spunkify is online now   Reply With Quote