Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Reassure me daycare is ok!

I'll ask someone I know in Oklahoma. Maybe she has leads.

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

http://childcarefind.okdhs.org/childcarefind/

My friend's niece was in a good daycare in your area, but recently moved, so this is all she could give me.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #13
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
http://childcarefind.okdhs.org/childcarefind/

My friend's niece was in a good daycare in your area, but recently moved, so this is all she could give me.
Thanks! I'll take a look at that website.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #14
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
I didn't read the other responses but this is coming from a person who did daycare for a long time. The only reason my girls were in daycare was because I was working there. And I've worked at many centers. I am not a fan of large group centers. The turnover rate for employees are high, the pay is low and most of the time classes are over ratio. Also, there is a lot of juggling kids around to make numbers work. For example, lets say that a few kids call in and the 2 year old class only has 7 kids. Normally there are 10, so the class needs two teachers (ratio is 6:1 for two year olds in Wisconsin). So the director decides to move the oldest child up to the 2.5 year old room so she can let a teacher go or put her somewhere else. No big deal right? Except now the 2.5 year old teacher is over in her numbers because a 2 year old brings the ratio down. Yeah, unfortunately this happens a lot. There are some very good teachers out there and some that are looking for an easy paycheck. They get tired, overworked, and a lot of times kids get brought in sick or teachers are sick. I would find in home child care for sure. I'm sorry if that isn't the answer you want but it's an honest one.
These things are true and it is a big deal to a kid to get to school.and not know what room, teachers, routine or friends he will be with on any given day. A "transition" to the next classroom up should nnot be sporadic and start when the kid is 6 months from moving upp, conveniently when the numbers were low. But i would prefer a good accredited center who pays their employees well WITH SECURITY CAMERAS over someone i dont know with no accountibility.

That being said, no matter what you decide there are several positive outcomes observed in children in daycare in long term studies. Things like social skills and school readiness. There are positives and negatives to sah as well as daycare.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
These things are true and it is a big deal to a kid to get to school.and not know what room, teachers, routine or friends he will be with on any given day. A "transition" to the next classroom up should nnot be sporadic and start when the kid is 6 months from moving upp, conveniently when the numbers were low. But i would prefer a good accredited center who pays their employees well WITH SECURITY CAMERAS over someone i dont know with no accountibility.

That being said, no matter what you decide there are several positive outcomes observed in children in daycare in long term studies. Things like social skills and school readiness. There are positives and negatives to sah as well as daycare.
The accountability factor depends on the center. Some states regulations are just as tight for in-home as they are for centers. Some in-homes have a camera system. The vast majority of in-home providers I know (and I know a lot) get paid MUCH better working from home than they would if they go to a center. Just some things for the OP to consider....

Hope your interview turns out good and you find an amazing place too! I will whole heartedly agree that in general, daycare is much harder on mom than on the child, assuming you are working with a quality place.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have never encountered an in home daycare that is licensed! I know they exist but i think its pretty common to not be at least here. I agree about the pay as well. I know of one woman who had 12 kids in her home and charged $200/week flat rate up to 50 hours a week and required kids to bring all snacks and meals. All of her kids were 2 years old or under. She was making bank and the kids were being vastly underserved. I dont know who would think that situation is ok.

If i encountered an inhom eprovider with security cameras i would feel very comfortable especially if there wa slive viewing online. Our doggy daycare had that lol!

Eta i meant accreddited by the national association for the education of young children. I think it would be difficult if not impossible for an in home provider to meet the expectations of naeyc but that wouldnt be a dealbreaker for me for an in home provider.

Last edited by newmommy13; 07-19-2012 at 11:58 AM.
newmommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
kateroc
Registered Users
seller

This is a very personal thing, so you really need to do what you feel comfortable with, but both of my boys are in a center (I work 4 days a week), so I will give you my 2 cents. Personally, I was uneasy about in-home child care, particularly where there is only a single care-provider. What if something happened to that person? What happens when the caregiver gets overwhelmed with caring for multiple kids and needs a break? And, possibly most importantly, I just don't see how one person can provide for the needs of several kids all at different ages at the same time (bigger kids could really stand to get outside but baby's sleeping, etc...). I do know many people who are very happy with these types of arrangements, though, so, like I said, it's very personal.

Anyway, I know there are a lot of bad, "assembly line" (like pp said) centers out there. You have to do your homework thoroughly. But this is your CHILD you're talking about, OF COURSE you're going to do your homework. There are good centers also. We found a small-ish center (about 30 kids) that has a very loving and homey vibe -- kids are with one teacher all day, for the most part, and there is a very low turnover rate for the teachers -- but it's still a center with plenty of structure and multiple caregivers. We are very very happy with it.

Good luck!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13
I have never encountered an in home daycare that is licensed! I know they exist but i think its pretty common to not be at least here. I agree about the pay as well. I know of one woman who had 12 kids in her home and charged $200/week flat rate up to 50 hours a week and required kids to bring all snacks and meals. All of her kids were 2 years old or under. She was making bank and the kids were being vastly underserved. I dont know who would think that situation is ok.

If i encountered an inhom eprovider with security cameras i would feel very comfortable especially if there wa slive viewing online. Our doggy daycare had that lol!

Eta i meant accreddited by the national association for the education of young children. I think it would be difficult if not impossible for an in home provider to meet the expectations of naeyc but that wouldnt be a dealbreaker for me for an in home provider.
This is illegal in many states. I wouldn't take my kids to someone with that many kids #1, and I wouldn't expect quality care at $4/hr. People shouldn't do daycare for the money, they should do it because they like kids and want the best care for not only their child but other kids as well. Most providers around here are licensed because the consequences are serious. $200/day fine plus fines for other things like not having toxics locked up, pools not blocked off, no fire extinguishers, etc. Its like trusting someone to drive your kids without a license. Sure they may know HOW to drive, but no one has confirmed this and it's illegal. Same with childcare. Cheaper isn't always better!

Eta- I'm currently license-exempt as I only care for one family's children at a time, but I'm in the process of being licensed. I have been on the other side of the fence though and used an in home DCP for many years before being completely betrayed and slapped in the face by the provider. She's still doing daycare and while I can't go around telling everyone what she did, I can recommend that people do as much background work as possible before hiring a DCP. Call every reference, find out how long ago they used this person, ask as many questions as you can, tour the place, read the contract, call your local licensing office and see what info is available to you. My previous DCP only has what seems like minor citations, but I "know" it's more, much much more. She's had class A citations (leaving cleaners and medications within reach) and other minor paperwork citations for lack of documentation. People don't always know this info is available to them. What may appear to be a great situation may not be behind the scenes. Word of mouth referrals are the best you can have. Having a friend recommend someone is a start and go from there because no two families are the same. A home daycare can be an excellent situation, but just do your homework and not just rely on prices and appearances.

Last edited by TwinKristi; 07-19-2012 at 01:35 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #19
emilyinmichigan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateroc View Post
This is a very personal thing, so you really need to do what you feel comfortable with, but both of my boys are in a center (I work 4 days a week), so I will give you my 2 cents. Personally, I was uneasy about in-home child care, particularly where there is only a single care-provider. What if something happened to that person? What happens when the caregiver gets overwhelmed with caring for multiple kids and needs a break? And, possibly most importantly, I just don't see how one person can provide for the needs of several kids all at different ages at the same time (bigger kids could really stand to get outside but baby's sleeping, etc...). I do know many people who are very happy with these types of arrangements, though, so, like I said, it's very personal.

Anyway, I know there are a lot of bad, "assembly line" (like pp said) centers out there. You have to do your homework thoroughly. But this is your CHILD you're talking about, OF COURSE you're going to do your homework. There are good centers also. We found a small-ish center (about 30 kids) that has a very loving and homey vibe -- kids are with one teacher all day, for the most part, and there is a very low turnover rate for the teachers -- but it's still a center with plenty of structure and multiple caregivers. We are very very happy with it.

Good luck!
Well spoken! I completely agree. Both my LO's are in a smallish center. They have been in the same facility since I returned to work shortly after DS was born (5 years). Their quality of care is excellent. Both kids have formed close attachments to "teachers" and other children. I would whole-heartedly recommend a well-researched daycare facility to working Moms.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

only read the OP.

Two thoughts: Daycare is probably a better option for her at this point anyways. She's getting old enough to start interacting with other children, playing, etc. So, while it's nice that she had one-on-one for her baby time, this should be fun for her.

Second thought: yes, that is bad for a marriage. Your marriage is important. That is how my parents did it. They had no choice as they had no funds for babysitters or daycare. I truly believe their marriage suffered. Even though they stayed together for somewhere around 30 yrs, it did finally sour. Without the kids in the house, they hadn't really worked on their own relationship enough and well.. I just think it contributed.