Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #111
bohemianxchaos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you have to do?

Sooo...do I order a basic birth kit, or do I just build my own?
I'm sure I can get cheapy shower curtains from the $tree for my bed to use as liners between sheets, and I can get some chux pads for cheap. The only things I don't have on hand currently are PP pads, I think. And a peri bottle.

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #112
1healthylady
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemianxchaos View Post
Sooo...do I order a basic birth kit, or do I just build my own?
I'm sure I can get cheapy shower curtains from the $tree for my bed to use as liners between sheets, and I can get some chux pads for cheap. The only things I don't have on hand currently are PP pads, I think. And a peri bottle.
This is the birth kit our MWs have us order, just to give you an idea. http://www.preciousarrows.com/Midwiv...p/80211-70.htm

And this is the rest that we have to get ready:
GENERAL SUPPLIES: Please gather and store in a rubbermaid bin, laundry basket, etc…
2 sets of sheets (old ones, preferably)
1 box plastic garbage bags
6-8 bath towels
laundry detergent/bleach/oxi-clean (for blood removal)
washcloths (stack of 8)
Pot with tight-fitting lid (for hot compresses)
1 roll of toilet paper
1 roll of paper towels
vinyl mattress cover or shower curtain liner
2 additional shower curtain liner(s)
flashlight with battery
Bowl or Tupperware for placenta (6 qt.size)
heating pad or hot water bottle (optional)
1 bottle hydrogen peroxide
1 quick read digital thermometer
12-24 Large maxi pads with wings
12-24 large disposable underpads (available in the incontinence section of grocery store or pharmacy)

FOR BABY
6 receiving blankets, soft cotton
diapers
2 baby hats
2 newborn outfits

FOR MOM
2-3 gowns, t-shirts to labor in
hair clips or tie
robe
2 pairs socks
Old 07-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #113
bohemianxchaos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you! my mw said she'd be emailung me her 'necessaries' but i just want to hear from experienced hb moms too.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DS Forum. That means my typing is probably awful. I'm sorry.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #114
1healthylady
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemianxchaos View Post
Thank you! my mw said she'd be emailung me her 'necessaries' but i just want to hear from experienced hb moms too.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DS Forum. That means my typing is probably awful. I'm sorry.
I'm not experienced!! This is my first baby, but the MWs give us lots of info to prepare. They sent me this list when I was 20 weeks so I've been gathering everything a little bit at a time. Just need a few more things now.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #115
mama2seth&trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got the rest of the stuff I need for the HB the other day. The $$$ store had most of the odds and ends. I had no idea I was going to need that many receiving blankets. I had to go out to garage sales to find some. I only had 5 but they are really nice ones that I want to actually use.
Yesterday I went to the herb shop and got the herbs I need for my PP tea and I need to get the stuff for my PP peri spray.
I am really hoping that we have everything done with the bathroom before baby is born. I have been anxious to do a good cleaning to it but there is no purpose until the sanding, priming, and painting is done.
mama2seth&trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #116
threec's
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love this idea! My c-section is scheduled for 2 weeks which makes it easier to plan.

I need to:

*Keep house clean! Yikes!
*Type up CD washing instruction for hubby
*Type up a schedule and important phone numbers for my two boys
*decide on and buy some pre-folds!

I've done:
*Nursery is READY
*Hospital bag is packed in case I go early
*made lactation cookies
*diapers I have are prepped
*house WAS clean... 2 boys have undone. This will happen every day

With the third, I feel like I don't have that much to get ready, just keeping these little things kept up, and round out my NB stash. Having my DS's 4 and 2, makes keeping everything tidy and perfect impossible, and getting a lot of extra things accomplished. So I'm trying to be as relaxed as possible and not stress myself out!
threec's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #117
1healthylady
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2seth&trey View Post
I got the rest of the stuff I need for the HB the other day. The $$$ store had most of the odds and ends. I had no idea I was going to need that many receiving blankets. I had to go out to garage sales to find some. I only had 5 but they are really nice ones that I want to actually use.
Yesterday I went to the herb shop and got the herbs I need for my PP tea and I need to get the stuff for my PP peri spray.
I have soo many receiving blankets! I'm sure I will be repurposing a bunch of them at some point. I'm thinking cloth wipes, most likely. My mom has bought me two 4-packs (she went a little crazy) and I received another 2-3 4-packs at baby showers, plus a few random ones like the organic thermal receiving blanket and other single pack ones. I just had to pick which ones I wanted to use right after birth. The comfiest ones and the ones I would most want in pictures. lol.
A friend made me an herbal after birth bath as a shower gift. I am soo looking forward to it! I forget now what all it has in it, but I remember there's shepherd's purse, lavender, yarrow, plantain, comfrey and calendula. I just need to write up the instructions she told me and add that to the birth box as well. Or just call her over and she'll make my bath. She lives just a few doors down.
We have no plans for the weekend, which is awesome. I'm hoping to rest a lot, get over this yeast infection, and MAYBE get some stuff crossed off my list. I am definitely not in nesting mode right now. I'm too tired. I've had a load of baby towels and blankets ready to go down to the washer for days now, but just haven't gotten around to it.
threec's - thank you for the reminder about CD washing instructions! I do need to add that to my list and tape it by the washer. But first I need to figure out what those instructions are. I still have no idea what I'm doing!
I also need to write down important people to call with phone numbers when in labor/when baby arrives. Gotta make sure my pastor and my dear friend from church who is one of my prayer warriors are in the loop, as well as our moms so they can start their drives down.
Must call my mom today. My parents just got back late last night from Croatia. They were sailing for a few weeks from Malta up the coast of Croatia. Time to give them updates on what's been happening here, and hear all about their trip!
Sorry. This is long. I'm tired and rambling.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #118
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh you ladies reminded me I still hadn't ordered any birth supplies so I did that yesterday..oops! I got some recipes for my "Labor-Aide" DH is going to make for me. I went to Costco today and spent a bazillion dollars but our pantry is stocked for at least the next 6-8 weeks and we can get our freezer meals prepped this weekend.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #119
ivymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL...I LOVE this thread! I could copy just about anyone's ans paste to my own list. Had to read a few to DH so that he'd have some clue what I'm going thru right now, and all the craziness that is keeping me up at 5am! Thanks for sharing mamas...I'm right there with you.
ivymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #120
mama2seth&trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are finally painting the bathroom today. My birth supplies are ready to go. We are also putting the curtians up in the kitchen today too. I really don't want to be walking around my house naked in labor with no curtains in the kitchen so the neighbours can see everything. The bad thing is I've been having contractions alot today and the painting isn't helping. My husband sucks at cutting in so at 37 weeks I am climbing on a ladder to do the cutting in. Baby's stuff is ready to go.
mama2seth&trey is offline   Reply With Quote