Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Anheyla
Registered Users
seller

Exclusively Pump / How do I stop??

While I have it A LOT easier than most (I read the forum and wow... weaning a baby sounds hard!).... I have been exclusively pumping since my little one wouldn't latch and was having other issues since birth.

I am down to pumping only 3 times a day (morning, noon & night) but can't seem to figure out the best way to reduce it from there. I have gotten advice to just STOP and "wrap" myself as tight as possible... I do NOT think this is a good idea, others have told me to go get the shot to help reduce my milk.... I have been trying to plan and do it as naturally as possible by reducing number of times per day as well as how long I pump for, but I'm kind of at a stand still.

Anyone have any advice? Right now I can go about 12-13 hours at night but I wake up leaking and in desperate need of a pumping session. I am trying to avoid having to wake up in the middle of the night to pump while weaning, but I don't know how else I will literally get it down to twice and then once a day.

Help!

Advertisement

Anheyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
NikiG
Registered Users
seller

Just pump or hand express enough to relieve your breasts. Don't empty them. You may wind up pumping more often but since you're not removing much, your breasts will slow down production. The fuller your breasts are the slower the milk production so really just remove enough to take the edge off!
NikiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Exclusively Pump / How do I stop??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikiG View Post
Just pump or hand express enough to relieve your breasts. Don't empty them. You may wind up pumping more often but since you're not removing much, your breasts will slow down production. The fuller your breasts are the slower the milk production so really just remove enough to take the edge off!
Yeah, that. How long do you pump at each session? However long you do at the midday session, cut it by 5 minutes every couple of days until you are only pumping 5 minutes. Then try skipping that session. Once you adjust to that, choose another (probably the evening) and cut back the same way. Or cut 5 minutes off each session, if that is comfortable enough for you. It will take a few weeks, but is more like weaning the baby from nursing.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

200 mg of B6 can help dry you up. I just found this out the hard way.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
GodLover
Registered Users
seller

Subbing for more info!
GodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:30 AM   #6
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

I started slowly- it took me about 2 months from the time I decided to stop until I completely stopped.

I kept all the pumping sessions, but reduced the time- so I usually pumped for 20 minutes. I only pumped for 15 minutes.

Then I started dropping the sessions one by one. I started with the middle of night ones.

I kept doing this until I got down to one session a day.

I also started taking my allergy medicine which helped since antihistimines dry out milk supply
Old 09-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
sbmarie23
Registered Users
seller

I'm down to 3-4 times day and trying to get down to morning, afternoon and before bed. hope it works
sbmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Do u have an electric or manual? Manual won't pull as hard. Try to pump a little for a few mins instead of like I think it took me 20 mins...so like 5 to relieve. Then try weening like you did to get to pumping 3 times a day.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikiG
This!
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote