View Poll Results: Pearl Return
Ask him to take them back and get one of the needed items? 30 17.65%
Just ask him to take them back so the money isn't wasted? 5 2.94%
Keep them and try to find a time and place to wear them? 131 77.06%
Other 4 2.35%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:
Crazy expensive Push Present

Update-

In case anyone was looking for an update, I'm going to keep them. Wear them as soon as the rest of this baby weight is gone just for him alone. And while he's basking in the aftermath I'm going to tell him he has to take me somewhere I can wear them in public and take the kids so I can go shopping for the right dress to wear them with.

Original post-
Please don't quote me.
This is a serious question with a silly background.

I got a push present from dh. I was expecting (after being told it was more expensive than a kindle) a patio, a washing machine or a laptop. All items I plan on purchasing in the next year. I received pearls. Beautiful, gorgeous, "investment" pearls. Dh was uber proud of them and apparently got a good deal on them. (We don't share spending money). I know I'm very blessed to have someone who loves me enough to buy me a push present and unselfish enough to spend a lot of money (and time) on it.

However, I do Not wear jewelry. I've told him this at least a hundred times and he still buys me it. It's all sitting in the safe. I know this is not a real problem and I understand it seems silly, but it really bugs me that the money was not used on something useful. If I had worn any of the other jewelry he's purchased in the 8 years we've been together, I wouldn't be even thinking about this next question, but I haven't.

Dh offered to take them back but pointed out that I could give them to Matthew's wife when he gets married. I do not want to have my present sitting in the safe for the next 18-60 years when we are doing so good about not wasting money.

Would you (in my situation).....

Advertisement

Last edited by wlillie; 07-31-2012 at 03:49 PM.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Crazy expensive Push Present

Smile and say thank you. Wear them once a year when he takes you out.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
kkleinman
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I voted for taking them back to get a needed item. I am like you, i do not wear jewelery and i would much rather have something that is needed. I think what your husband did was a super sweet gesture and was trying to show you how beautiful and loved you are by him. But in the end, if you are not going to wear them you should return them so you have money for something that is needed. Hopefully your sweet hubby is practical too and will not be hurt by this. Good luck with your tough choice!

Last edited by ~happy2Bamommy~; 07-22-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: removed quote
kkleinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
kkleinman
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sorry i quoted you!!! I am on my phone and forgot to erase it all before i started typing!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Angel89411
Banned

They were a gift. Surely you could wear them on a nice date. I think it is rather rude to tell someone to exchange a gift they got you for something more useful.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel89411
They were a gift. Surely you could wear them on a nice date. I think it is rather rude to tell someone to exchange a gift they got you for something more useful.
^ that
Old 07-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
jennak
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
Smile and say thank you. Wear them once a year when he takes you out.
i agree.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

im not sure what push present is but im extremely practical and would thank DH very much for such a thoughtful gift but tell him we need and i would appreciate a new washer more.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i dont like people to buy me gifts. i hate to feel like a jerk when i hate what they got me. it seems so wasteful to spend so much money on something i dont want, will rarely use and dont need. i much rather be told i can go out and buy myself whatever i want.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

A gift from the heart should be appreciated. It was a very generous gift! He was kind enough to get something for you that in his eyes would make you feel special each time you wore it. Awesome husband!!!

I would be thrilled that the gift was a memorable token I could cherish. Even if I only wore it occasionally, I'd remember the story behind it and the history that it has.

Gifts are just that gifts. We've all received something that we didn't like so much (or was hideous!) and we smile and say thank you.

Will you remember when your washer breaks years from now that it was your push gift? Instead, he thought only of your beauty and wanted to make you feel like a million bucks... That's wonderful he's so thoughtful.

It sounds like you wanted was something your family needed, but he thought more of you. His expectation was you'd smile and gleam. However, your expectation of a suitable gift was not putting yourself first, which is what he did.

Cherish your pearls and your DH, he seems amazing!

Last edited by HugeBabyBoy; 07-21-2012 at 04:44 PM.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote