Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: "I'm just not going there"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan1212 View Post
I say, yeah, well, you're supposed to remove the poop before you throw your disposable away and flush it. And you have to wash baby clothes that get poop and spit up on them anyway. So what's the difference?

People are always like, what, really? when I say you have to flush the poop. But it's true -- even the disposable diaper boxes say to do it. Storing big hunks of toddler poop in a diaper genie is way grosser than dealing with cloth diapers that have been de-pooped first. People are just ignorant.

You mean you don't like the diaper genie "sausage" with individually wrapped hunks of poop and dipes

In fairness when I was a FTM I did about 50% of things differently then I do with DS3 and DS4. I think I would have been open to CD though.

It's true that FTM have NO idea how much poop they will be dealing with.

Ditto to my dogs is a zillion times grosser

I think a genuinely interested person will ask you many questions about CD. Otherwise you are just wasting your breath talking about it.

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually just sort of shrug and laugh and say something like, "Yeah I thought it might be tough to deal with when I started, but it's not rocket science. I'm pretty sure a monkey could do it."

That way I'm not saying that I'm better/smarter for using cloth, just that it's easy and they are making too big of a deal out of it. ETA: If they want to use sposies that's fine, I don't really care, but the amount of poop their baby produces will be the same no matter what diaper the baby is wearing.
and M

Last edited by alaskamum; 07-22-2012 at 12:37 PM.
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
A.Fred
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree..I think a lot of FTM's don't realize how much poop they'll have to deal with. Part of being a mommy..you deal with all sorts of bodily fluids
A.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i never understood that whole theory either and ive hear it from FTPs and those who already have kids too. Your baby poops, you clean it up, no matter what kind of diaper. when i diapered my first two i used sposies and ive never had so many disgusting moments of having poop all over the place - even on the walls - with cloth. as a matter of fact i rarely got poop all over with cloth.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #15
D&MsMommy
Registered Users
seller

Yep.. pregnant first time mommas have no idea what they are about to be getting into! The amount of diapers and the cost of disposables.. the leaking. Whether you use cloth or disposables.. your involved with poop whether you like it or not! When we first started cloth we were doing disposables when we were on the go.. at a B-Day party my son had a poop explosion that leaked out of the diaper ALL OVER ME. Then we had an hour long drive home.. of course I still had some on me. Yuck! That was the last time I used a disposable for my "convenience".
Old 07-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #16
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I started cloth diapering as a FTM but my main concern was keeping my baby as chemical free as possible. I had A LOT of blow outs regardless of cloth or disposables but haven't experienced those issues with DD (my 2nd child). Maybe it was my inexperience in diapering or just different kids different outputs type of thing.

I was the only cloth diapering mom in my group and also the youngest (23 at the time) so I received A LOT of criticism and put downs. Recently (almost 4 years into my cloth diapering addiction) one of my distant in laws (mama of 5 and close to DH) did a diaper run close to 10pm (store closes at 10) and she made a comment that was directed at me (I can't remember what it was). I responded, when I run out of diapers I just put a load in the wash. She said, "don't even start with that"

Don't take jabs at me if you can't receive them back.

This is the lady who made fun of my choice to cloth and afterward became chummy and wanted to know if she could buy cloth in bjs. I told her I didn't kow but directed her to where she could get some and even offered a portion of my stash and she refused so I'm assuming it was just small talk that didn't mean anything. Anyway after she made the "don't even" comment her sister jumped in about GROSS you wash your clothes in the SAME machine afterward? Poop and pee and THEN you wash you clothes? How do you know they are even clean?! My clothes MUST be clean.

ITS A WASHING MACHINE, you can do all kinds of loads, sanitize, disinfect, it has its own water heater so the water is BOILING hot etc. Things you cannot do in the laundromat! I much prefer washing my clothes immediately after a diaper load then to put my clothes in a public facility. My mom wouldn't let us wash our underwear in those machines because she said EVERYONE uses them and you have no idea what people use or how gross they can be. So we had to handwash all our underwear but we did use the machines for our outer clothes.

That's the last time I saw or spoke to her (4-5 weeks ago) I'm staying away because clearly after almost 6 years of marriage and trying to be friends we just don't mesh well. Early in my marriage and first pregnancy she tried to take over, telling me what I should or should not do. How DARE I consider homebirth as it was abuse and I would never forgive myself if my child dies. How DARE I babywear as its harmful to the baby. blah. blah. blah. I would always end up in tears after her visits until my DH put a stop to them. He said as a first time expectant mother who wanted to homebirth I needed to stay away from ppl who would mess with my confidence even if they may be his dear close family members. When my DS was born she again was in my biz and parenting style (I was more attachment parenting and she was something else) and my DH again pulled me away from that part of the family until they could respect my parenting choices. Frankly I think she just hates my guts and I either make her feel inadequate or as a veteran mom, doesn't like her advices rejected. I'm cool with it as it was draining to keep extending my friendship to her and I was only doing it because my DH loves her very much and after all its his family.

sorry for the long sidetrack.
Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #17
dmp517
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umm_Ibraheem
Anyway after she made the "don't even" comment her sister jumped in about GROSS you wash your clothes in the SAME machine afterward? Poop and pee and THEN you wash you clothes? How do you know they are even clean?!
I love this argument! It's one of my favorites! People expect to get dirty clothes after washing a load of dirty diapers, but they expect to get clean clothes after washing the first load of dirty clothes...because washing machines will pass on the dirty poop to the next load, but not any of the dirty clothes gunk?

DD is only 4 months old and I'm already tired of what other people think I should do. We just got back from visiting DH family. It was the first time we've had that many people close enough to see exactly what we do as far as nursing in public and cloth diapering and it was interesting to see all of the different reactions. We got everything from avoiding me as I was NIPing with a cover to knowing looks from the older parents who had tried cloth when prefolds and flats were the only cloth option before they quit and went to sposies halfway through diapering the first kid (and they all had diaper services!).

DH's grandparents were the most supportive of us using cloth. It was so cute seeing Grandma go nuts over my BG4.0s. She was insanely jealous of them!

I've taken to looking to my FIL for support as far as how to react when other people look down on me for using cloth or nursing in public. DD is his first grandkid and he's very supportive of DH and I being the ones to make our own parenting decisions. He's quick to tell us if someone doesn't like what we're doing it's their problem and to keep doing what we feel is best for DD...especially if that happens to piss them off!
dmp517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #18
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp517 View Post
I love this argument! It's one of my favorites! People expect to get dirty clothes after washing a load of dirty diapers, but they expect to get clean clothes after washing the first load of dirty clothes...because washing machines will pass on the dirty poop to the next load, but not any of the dirty clothes gunk?
EXACTLY I wish I had thought of this, even though the answer would still have been "you can't compare SWEAT with POOP!" because somehow baby poop even one that is EBF is still worst than anything they can imagine. so whatever.

About your inlaws that amazing that they support you. After living with my inlaws for about 3 years I feel that they are SAINTS. Not only did they support me cloth diapering but they also supported me when I was finding my way with different containers to "contain" the smells that were ATROCIOUS. I'm completely embarrassed about my newbie fumbles.

They lived with the stench until I was able to find a system that worked for me and I felt bad when they had visitors. HONESTLY just typing that I'm so ashamed of myself. I was such a newbie and learning as I went along but man they were saints. I don't think I would have tolerated as much as they did with me and I hope that I'm as good of a mother in law in the future as my in laws were with me.

OH so embarrassed. I should go apologize and give them a gift this week because man they deserve it.
Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #19
mamaspice
Registered Users

If I really want to make people think I am wacky I will just reapond that dd mostly poops in the potty anyway so it's not that big of a deal.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #20
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthdayMama View Post
Yeah, I don't get that comment. How many of the people who say that have a dog, too? Because picking up dog poop in little baggies on a walk is way more poop contact than I've ever had using CDs. And my dog's poop is 1000 times grosser than baby poop.
I totally agree with this.

I've had parents (people who already have kids in diapers) say they "don't do poop" so there IS a misconception that with cloth you somehow handle poop more. DS1 had blowouts in sposies DAILY, at least once, for months. I washed poopy clothes all the time and there was poop all over him when I changed him.

What I want to know is where these parents are finding sposies that eradicate the poop before you change the diaper. If they "don't do poop" then obviously they aren't wiping a poopy booty or throwing a poopy diaper away.

And I've just got to advocate for young mamas for a second... I had DS1 st 21 and I swear I wasn't so goofy as to think that I wouldn't have to deal with poop.