Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Am I wrong?

My DH and I are having a bit of a disagreement and I guess I'm just looking for some opinions....

My sister had a baby on the 13th of July. She's teeny tiny and still in the nicu. My sister pumps about 2 oz a day due to her high stress and fatigue. The nurses have said the baby does way better when she gets breast milk, but my sister can't pump enough right now. (The baby was getting about 10 oz a day before her supply went down.)

I'm pumping for my LO, who is a hearty, healthy 4 mo old. My LO also has special formula for his reflux. So the obvious solution IMO is to pump for my niece and have my LO drink more formula in the meantime. I won't be able to produce enough for both, but I can produce enough for a NB so she doesn't have to drink formula. Also, the hospital only has one type of formula...that gross brown similac and if you the babies don't do well on it, too bad.

My DH says I should keep my BM for our baby, but I think it's more important that my sisters baby in the nicu get it. If our baby gets sick or something I guess we can reevaluate what we should do, but he's healthy and happy right now. I'm planning on giving her my breast milk starting tomorrow, no matter what he says. Am I wrong? WWYD?

Oh yeah, the milk sharing would just be until she's stabilized and doing better - so for a few weeks.

Advertisement

Last edited by *Peanut*; 07-23-2012 at 10:41 AM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

I would say the NB would benefit more. However it isn't something I think you and your husband should be arguing about. Possibly sit and calmly explain your rationale, present him with any research you can and see why happens. Worse comes to worse he just isn't comfortable with it-which then you can find out why. Maybe it's a reason you haven't thought of and he just can't communicate it without lots of prodding. If nothing else maybe you can compromise. Half of the pumped milk to yours and half to newbie until things stabilize for everyone.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
WilliamsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Am I wrong?

I think what you want to do is very honorable. I tend to take your side, though I do see how your husband is viewing it. In the long run, the poor little NB would probably benefit more from having breast milk.

I've always admired moms who are able to give to others in this way.
WilliamsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

I see your point and agree with you. I would likely do the same in your position.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Maybe he thinks you are planning on "weaning"
Your child permanently? Present him with a plan of how many ounces a day you will provide to your niece for how many weeks and get your sister some domperidone ASAP!
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think either of you are wrong, and it's one of those situations where it's hard for me to "pick sides". On one hand, I think what you're offering to do for your niece is so generous and wonderful... and obviously, she would benefit much more (medically speaking) from breastmilk. Of course, on the other hand, I can see why your husband wants to provide the best for your son first, KWIM?

I'm also curious as to why you say you won't produce enough for both babies? I only ask because I exclusively pumped for DS2, and was also able to donate milk to another baby as well... I produced enough for both of them, as well as some leftover each day to put in my freezer (pumped for DS2 for almost 16 months, and he received my frozen milk for almost 21 months, even after I donated!). Unless you're having supply issues yourself, it's basic supply-and-demand... pump more, produce more.

That said, I would try to pump for both of them, but I would also urge your sister to see a LC or even a doctor about increasing her supply... if pumping more, drinking more water, etc doesn't work, maybe she can try Reglan or Domperidone?
Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the input.

I have IGT and my sister has pcos. So with some of her pregnancies she makes a ton of milk and sometimes she makes very little. I always make very little, so to make even a moderate amount I have to drink tons of water, take floridix and domperidone, and eat oatmeal every day. I think I'm at my max output and even with more pumping I make the same amount by the end of the day.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could she get donor milk covered by her ins? Have either of you looked into other milksharing sites?
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote