Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
3hickschicks's Avatar
3hickschicks
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 40
6 Month old will not put weight on legs.

My dd is 6 months old. She has never put weight on her legs when I hold her up. She just draws her legs up to her chest. A couple of times when she gets really mad she will put one foot down but only for a second. I have always been concerned about this. She went for her 6 month well check on Friday and her pediatrician is concerned too. She is going to send her to a pediatric rehabilitation therapist (I thinks that's what she said). Has anybody else went through this? I was just wanted to know what I should be expecting. My dd also does not rollover or try to sit up assisted. The pediatrician said that her legs and arm muscles seem to be weak. Thanks in advance for any information.

Advertisement

3hickschicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
luvsviola's Avatar
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 17,103
My Mood:
Re: 6 Month old will not put weight on legs.

I would have also call Early Intervention and have them do an evaluation. They have PTs whose whole job is to work with kids birth-3. The evaluation is free, and the visits are on a sliding scale--DFS were free.

Often, insurance only covers so many visits a year (ours is 20) to a PT. But EI comes every week, no matter what your insurance coverage is.

You're going think I'm nuts but...does your child cross midline? For example, if you hold a toy out on the right side, will she use her left hand to get it?

DS had PT twice a week til he was 18 months old, and still has it once a week at 3. He didn't sit up til over a year, and didn't walk til 18 months. We did SMOs and AFOs to help him, which made a difference. Mostly, it was finding a magical therapist who he loved. Therapy isn't all fun and games, and sometimes it is hard to watch your child struggle, but we have been blessed with 4 physical therapists who love our children like their own. They told me at 4 months that he'd never walk (or talk for that matter) but at 3, he is age appropriate, and running, riding a bike, and his big milestone this week was galloping.
__________________
Kristen
Middle school teacher by day, super mom by night
Mommy to The Boss~2007, The Energizer Bunny~2009, and The Princess~2011
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 07-24-2012 at 10:31 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
jeebee's Avatar
jeebee
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,899
My Mood:
Re: 6 Month old will not put weight on legs.

My DD is 8 months and has only just started bearing weight on her legs. My second daughter was doing it from 2 months and by 4 months would stand holding things. I think they're all different, but i don't think it hurts to be concerned, even if it turns out there is nothing wrong. I am also somewhat relieved that my baby is finally starting to do it now, although she is definitely not much of a stander, compared to my other two. Although DD1 also wasn't much of a stander until 9-10 months and still walked at 12.5 months.

ETA: Like Nerissa said below, I think a lot is to do with personality. She is a very very laid back baby. Has always slept through the night since day 1 (i.e. 6 hours) and since 6 weeks 10-12 hours every night. Barely cries, super-easy, and just doesn't have much reason to go anywhere or do anything. She is almost 9 months and not crawling, although she was sitting unsupported before 5 months. Just content to sit there and watch the world and play with her toys. Only recently started rolling around, although she certainly did and could roll over much earlier.
__________________
Jen=mummy to L and S and A, my birthday thief, and one little baby-not-to-be 14/2/14
I sell patterns for OSFM covers and fitted diapers, please check outhttps://www.etsy.com/au/shop/purenappiness

Last edited by jeebee; 07-25-2012 at 07:25 AM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: small town USA
Posts: 5,419
My Mood:
Re: 6 Month old will not put weight on legs.

I don't think it will hurt anything to get her checked out. There may be something wrong or it just maybe her personality.

FWIW--neither of my boys sat up unassisted and barely assisted until 7 months, crawled at 10 months, and didn't start pulling themselves up till 10/11 months and didn't walk utnil 16/17 months. Both were very layed back and content to do things in their own time. There was no way anyone was going to force them to meet a milestone before they were ready to do so. They are still that way.
__________________
wife and mom-- no other special labels. Just trying to do the best I can.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
pepsichic9115's Avatar
pepsichic9115
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Longview, WA
Posts: 662
My Mood:
Dd3, who is now 10, did the same thing. At 10 months I finally called EI. They did pt until she started walking at 14 months. When she was older (about 4) I started to notice other skills that seemed difficult for her.....like riding a bike and her funny run. I asked the Dr about it and she said it was related to her low muscle tone. She didn't ride a bike without training wheels until she was 7 simply because she couldn't pedal with enough speed to keep the bike going. And just this last year at soccer, I have realized her funny run is improved.

Sent from my ADR6325 using DS Forum
__________________
Nichole WOHM to Nadalee 9/9/98 , Nashara 11/27/99 ,Nareesa 9/6/00 7 hours in my arms, forever in my heart!, Nailynn 5/19/02 , and Dylan 10/26/05
pepsichic9115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Rdesonia's Avatar
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,693
My Mood:
Re: 6 Month old will not put weight on legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
The evaluation is free, and the visits are on a sliding scale--DFS were free.
I think it depends on your state. I've never been asked my income/insurance info/ etc. In my state, Early Intervention is through the school district and it is 100% free to any child that qualifies based on a "disability"/ "delay" regardless of income of the parents.

I love the person that does DD's EI stuff. She comes 2x a month to my house. She always has suggestions, handouts, and plays games with DD. DD still has some low muscle tone issues but she helps me to know how to exercise her in fun ways to improve it.
__________________
Sahm married to a wonderful man who does the dishes with DS 11/18/02 and DD 7/11/11

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Mom2jandb's Avatar
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,963
My DD1 was like that. She rolled a few months late, could sit unassisted until 8 or 9 months, would not bear weight on legs or even put feet flat until she was ready to try pulling up at just past 12 months. She was finally walking at 16 months. Our pedi recommended intervention as well, which I declined. Some babies are just way off the charts and develop at their own pace. Not to say that some babies don't have underlying problems. It's jusy not a reason to stress yet, based on my experience.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Sarahknavy's Avatar
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 1,301
When I was home in may, my 11 month old nephew wouldn't put weight on his legs. A month or so later and he started crawling, pulling up, and even cruising.
__________________
Mom to Isaac born 5-24-11 and Leah 2-19-13
Sarahknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
luvsviola's Avatar
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 17,103
My Mood:
Re: 6 Month old will not put weight on legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
I think it depends on your state. I've never been asked my income/insurance info/ etc. In my state, Early Intervention is through the school district and it is 100% free to any child that qualifies based on a "disability"/ "delay" regardless of income of the parents.

I love the person that does DD's EI stuff. She comes 2x a month to my house. She always has suggestions, handouts, and plays games with DD. DD still has some low muscle tone issues but she helps me to know how to exercise her in fun ways to improve it.
Typically, the school district only takes over once the kids are 3. Usually the state program is in place for birth-3.

After having 2 kids in therapy, I am a huge proponent of it. It is fun! The therapists are wonderful, and my kids all love them. My opinion is---any adult who is giving one-on-one time and love to my child is awesome! The more people loving on them, the better.
__________________
Kristen
Middle school teacher by day, super mom by night
Mommy to The Boss~2007, The Energizer Bunny~2009, and The Princess~2011
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 07-25-2012 at 02:28 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #10
3hickschicks's Avatar
3hickschicks
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
I would have also call Early Intervention and have them do an evaluation. They have PTs whose whole job is to work with kids birth-3. The evaluation is free, and the visits are on a sliding scale--DFS were free.

Often, insurance only covers so many visits a year (ours is 20) to a PT. But EI comes every week, no matter what your insurance coverage is.

You're going think I'm nuts but...does your child cross midline? For example, if you hold a toy out on the right side, will she use her left hand to get it?

DS had PT twice a week til he was 18 months old, and still has it once a week at 3. He didn't sit up til over a year, and didn't walk til 18 months. We did SMOs and AFOs to help him, which made a difference. Mostly, it was finding a magical therapist who he loved. Therapy isn't all fun and games, and sometimes it is hard to watch your child struggle, but we have been blessed with 4 physical therapists who love our children like their own. They told me at 4 months that he'd never walk (or talk for that matter) but at 3, he is age appropriate, and running, riding a bike, and his big milestone this week was galloping.
Thanks so much. She does not cross midline. Can I just call early intervention or do I need some kind of referral from the doctor.
She did roll over yesterday from her belly to her back. So that made me happy. What kind of exercises will they do with her? Is there anything I can be doing with her now to help?
3hickschicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.