Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Speech Delay Is it time for eval? **Update EVAL was today/Results**

Cool! Hope you love your therapist!

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #22
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housefullofgirls View Post
So somehow we lucked out when I called Monday & they had this am open. So she did qualify
Her IFSP says:
cognitive:15mon
communication receptive: 9mon
communication expressive: 6mon
social or emotional: 18mon
adaptive: 20mon
fine motor: 16mon
gross motor:20mon

Hearing test is August 15th.
I know those communication results are probably hard for you to take. When we had my DD evaulated she was behind in ALL areas of development except one. It's a hard thing to hear and deal with. But over all it looks like she is doing pretty well so just remember that, and now you are able to get her help for the areas where she is struggling. Try to keep a positive perspective on things, and know that sometimes with therapy kids can catch up pretty quick.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #23
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housefullofgirls

So somehow we lucked out when I called Monday & they had this am open. So she did qualify
Her IFSP says:

IMO those results can be interpreted as positive for the following reasons:
1) Mom's almost always know, good job for trusting your gut.
2) Everything but language is at or above average.
3) Because her cognitive skills are intact, with therapy you should see good results!

So glad she's going to get the help she needs!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #24
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I know those communication results are probably hard for you to take. When we had my DD evaulated she was behind in ALL areas of development except one. It's a hard thing to hear and deal with. But over all it looks like she is doing pretty well so just remember that, and now you are able to get her help for the areas where she is struggling. Try to keep a positive perspective on things, and know that sometimes with therapy kids can catch up pretty quick.

mibarra: Thank-you ladies (insert giant kiss) You both made me feel a TON better!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #25
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Cool! Hope you love your therapist!
Thanks, me too. The 2 ladies there today if they were any indication I will love her. They were soo nice.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #26
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
My daughter is having some medical issues that hopefully will come to a dx soon from her scope yesterday. She is in pain all day everyday in varying degrees. Due to her sugar malabsorption she is failure to thrive. She only says mama, dada and mom that is it. She just started to point last week and she does recongnize dogs and says woof woof when she see's them. She's 15 months. She is shy so apart of my denial is she's shy, the baby of 4 kids, in pain alot and that's why she doesn't talk. Her 15 mon appt is coming up should I ask for an eval? I'm worried about her. My other kids were saying alot more by now.

Her IFSP says:

Glad you followed your gut! Looks like you have a smart cookie though with great skills in all the other areas! Therapy should be super helpful. My dd was evaled at 21 months with an expressive score at 5 months. It was hard to swallow but now at 2.7 she is almost on track with her speech.

((hugs)). I am sure you will love your SLP. Are they going to come weekly?
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Glad you followed your gut! Looks like you have a smart cookie though with great skills in all the other areas! Therapy should be super helpful. My dd was evaled at 21 months with an expressive score at 5 months. It was hard to swallow but now at 2.7 she is almost on track with her speech.

((hugs)). I am sure you will love your SLP. Are they going to come weekly?
Wow! That is fantastic she is doing so well and really that's about only a year in therapy right? That's a huge jump in such time amazing. Thank-you for sharing it makes me feel so much better reading such wonderful stories. They started this new program that they want us to do first. It's a 12 week program that includes 4 therapy sessions for Ella but also 3 90minute sessions with just the therapist and myself alone. After that they said they would evalute her and either do weekly or bi-weekly sessions. She said that they don't see this age at all and she's not sure what the therapist will want to do. So I'm not entirely sure right now. But after 12 weeks she'll be 18.5 or 19 months. I'm going to start baby signing now too. They asked me how she asks for things and gets me to understand what she wants and I told them she relies on me reading her mind It's true. I can read her so well TG! She'd be up the creek if I didn't.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #28
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:

Wow! That is fantastic she is doing so well and really that's about only a year in therapy right? That's a huge jump in such time amazing. Thank-you for sharing it makes me feel so much better reading such wonderful stories. They started this new program that they want us to do first. It's a 12 week program that includes 4 therapy sessions for Ella but also 3 90minute sessions with just the therapist and myself alone. After that they said they would evalute her and either do weekly or bi-weekly sessions. She said that they don't see this age at all and she's not sure what the therapist will want to do. So I'm not entirely sure right now. But after 12 weeks she'll be 18.5 or 19 months. I'm going to start baby signing now too. They asked me how she asks for things and gets me to understand what she wants and I told them she relies on me reading her mind It's true. I can read her so well TG! She'd be up the creek if I didn't.
Sounds great! We started signing with our dd at 15 months and by 18 months she knew 250 signs, it was her only form of communication. We are dealing with autism now and selective mutism but she speaks great at home, and is understandable. I am sure she will catch on quick!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #29
speechmama
Registered Users

Any time you have a concern talk to your pediatrician. Mom's often have a feeling "in their gut" when something isn't right and they are often correct. Hope all goes well. Check out Little Talkers , a free speech/language and learning resource. You can see developmental milestones and watch free videos on ways to promote speech and language skills. It also gives you tips on how to get started if you have a concern.
speechmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #30
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Her results are similar to my youngest who is now caught up for his age as far as his private speech is concerned we will do a school district evaluation this next month to confirm that his speech is adequate as far as the school is concerned who is an untrained ear.

Catching it early is absolutly the best for getting her caught up

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote