Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: just a vent - I'm never going to sleep again!

I agree with Keen wholeheartedly. Right now, you are doing you and your children (including the unborn baby) no favors by staying up constantly in effort to avoid the crying. Crying is not the worse thing in the world and for most kids, in my experience, it really isnt more than a tough week of transition before things are WAY better. Please consider that at this point, some crying in order to transition to better sleep habits IS what is best for the whole family. You wont be able to continue at this pace forever.

Advertisement

doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #22
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We night weaned dd at 20 months. She was still nursing every 2 hours at night as well. I also agree with Keen. I slept on the couch for a week and dh put her to sleep. She screamed a couple of hours the first night and it was less over the next couple of nights and by 5 days she was not crying at all. I still let her nurse at bedtime and when we first woke up in the am but I was so exhausted trying to WOH fulltime and nurse her all night. I am not one who falls asleep easily so sometimes I really didn't sleep at all. You can and must do this for your health and sanity.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I make my DH help. DD will want to eat if I try to rock her to sleep... but she just falls asleep in 2 minutes if DH rocks her. (She also sleeps much better in her own crib than our bed. In our bed...It was too easy for her to nurse. In her bed... she has learned to settle herself and go back to sleep. She wakes up less but it took a few weeks to change her patterns)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #24
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

I was in the same situation (minus the pregnancy) with my 14 month old. We are currently in the process of using Dr. Jay Gordon's nightweaning method. It is going better than I expected. The first 3 nights where I nursed for a couple minutes and then unlatched him. Then after those 3 nights, DH takes care of all the wakenings between 11 and 6. He's only had to get out of bed and rock him once. The rest of the time DH has been able to pat his bottom and cuddle him. One night was terrible,(the night DH rocked him) but when I tried to help it just got worse as he didn't understand cuddling with Mom and not nursing. Letting DH do it has worked the best for us. Last night I nursed him down at 7ish, then again at 10 when he woke, and he didn't wake again until 2:30!!!! And, DH was able to get him back down in under 5 minutes. It's working!!! And DH has commented that in the last couple days I've been in a better mood than I have in MONTHS. Do it for your sanity. It is soooo worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #25
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! This is DH's last day of class , and then we have just over one week before he moves to Nashville to work (gone during the week, home on weekends), so we'll be partially night-weaning DS3 after tonight. He only woke up three times last night (between 8pm-7am), and I'm already feeling more rejuvenated . That definitely inspires me to really work on getting him down to only one night-waking for now!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #26
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse
Thanks ladies! This is DH's last day of class , and then we have just over one week before he moves to Nashville to work (gone during the week, home on weekends), so we'll be partially night-weaning DS3 after tonight. He only woke up three times last night (between 8pm-7am), and I'm already feeling more rejuvenated . That definitely inspires me to really work on getting him down to only one night-waking for now!
Or none!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #27
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Or none!
None would be wonderful... but his 3-4am feeding is when he really nurses, and seems to still need that one. And as crazy as it sounds, I kind of enjoy the peaceful nursing session that we have at the time. Between my other two kids, and DS3 being the ultimate drive-by nurser during the day, our nursing sessions are anything but relaxing, so that one early morning feeding is kind of special .
Old 07-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck with the night weaning! My dh wouldn't help with that so it was on me when I night weaned.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #29
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse

None would be wonderful... but his 3-4am feeding is when he really nurses, and seems to still need that one. And as crazy as it sounds, I kind of enjoy the peaceful nursing session that we have at the time. Between my other two kids, and DS3 being the ultimate drive-by nurser during the day, our nursing sessions are anything but relaxing, so that one early morning feeding is kind of special .
DS was the same way as far as the 3am feeding. I was worried about cutting that feeding out because that was the one time he really seemed to eat. However, I decided when we weaned him at night I didn't want to confuse him by not going to him sometimes and then going him to other times. I honestly think it would make it harder to wean because they aren't sure if you are going to come this time or not, so they will just keep on crying in the hopes you are going to come. In my opinion, I think it would be harder on your LO if you take this approach to weaning because it'd be confusing to them.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote