Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
My Top 5 NB Items:
1) Burp cloths
2) Muslin blanket (spring/summer baby - so many uses!!)
3) Lanolin
4) Bravado nursing tanks
5) Rock and Play Sleeper (I have spitty babies!)

Also nice:
-Flannel receiving blankets
-Bouncy seat (for keeping baby happy while showering)
-Moby wrap
-One piece outfits (so much easier in the beginning!)

Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012

Last edited by Alaga; 07-25-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:
Stuff I had and loved:
Kimono wrap style, side snapping shirts (nothing to pull over the head!) With the foldover mittens to keep them from scratching themselves
Footie pants
Practice and ability to jellyroll and snappi a NB prefold - and 2-3 dozen prefolds, a couple of snappis, and 4-6 NB covers
Huge (45-50" square) muslin swaddle blankets (I made my own, muslin is cheap!)
Arm's Reach cosleeper or similar (bassinet setting on a pack n play would have worked too) - we mostly bed shared but sometimes I felt overly exhausted and needed to set her in her own sleep space for safety - mostly used it as a changing table though
My Brest Friend - very helpful in those first weeks - I could nurse hands free and eat with both hands while she ate!
Thick quilt for setting her on the floor while I did something or for tummy time
Wool breast pads and stretchy tank tops (my boobs changed size A LOT and my nursing tanks and bras ended up never fitting!)
HELP. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping... I was able to rest and relax a lot and it helped me breastfeed well and not get PPD.

Things I went without and didn't miss:
Disposable or "easy" cloth diapers
Crib, swing, various battery operated thingies

Things I had and never used:
Breast pump and bottles
Disposable breast pads
Tons of adorable NB size outfits and onesies (she was in 0-3 month within days)
Gripe water and other baby medical kit items
Mommy to my girl M (b. June 2011) and baby boy G (b. July 2013)
shen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #23
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Must haves for newborn baby!

Things that we required (in a first-world-problem kind of way):
-flannel receiving blankets, not for swaddling but for catching massive amounts of spitup. Regular burp cloths were just not cutting it.
-supportive DH. He took two weeks off and did all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and managed our social calendar (occasionally kicking people out of the house). I had no clue what I was doing, bf was not going well, and I seriously would have lost my mind without him.
-my "bf basket" - DD was a constant nurser, so I had a little fabric bin that was always at my side with snacks, lanolin, burp cloths, kindle, phone, water bottle, pen and paper, etc. It was so nice to just grab DD and the basket, knowing that I had all my "essentials."
-comfortable place to nurse. We had two: the couch and the fugly old recliner that I hated and wanted to get rid of. I now LOVE IT (and DD does too) and refuse to ever get rid of it. If nothing else, it holds many dear memories of nursing DD late, late into the night.
-ring sling/bjorn. Wish I had figured it out sooner.

Things that were super helpful:
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Kindle version, super convenient.
-Swing. DD would, on occasion, deign to nap in it.
-Jumper/exersaucer was loved from maybe 4-6 mos?
-Also not til 4 mos or so, woven wrap. My favorite.
+ + +
DottieHarley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #24
Registered Users
My Mood:

ring sling. If I only had that, I think I could survive.
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk!
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #25
Registered Users
My Mood:

I hate zippered sleepers! In the middle of the night at 3am exhausted from sleep deprivation... zippered sleepers are no fun! I do sleep gowns. (I even did them for my DS.) (you can buy them anywhere!)

I also like kimono shirts for daytime. I had a ton of bibs/burp rags as DD spit up a lot(reflux)! I had at least 15 flannel receiving blankets if not more, plus others. I love to have a bunch. (Especially if you are doing diaper free time because of a rash!)

A mattress cover/pad for the crib & playpen. (put a sheet over the waterproof protector in the playpen! )
Sahm married to a wonderful man who does the dishes with DS 11/18/02 and DD 7/11/11

My Come Swag with me!
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #26
Registered Users

I didn't read all the responses, so sorry if I'm repeating: I don't know if the stuff like the swing, bouncy seat, etc... are "necessities." They might be for your baby (with DS1 we WOULD NOT have survived without a swing. DS2 wouldn't go in it for a minute...). You'll just have to wait and see...

These are things, though, that I didn't really think about before having the baby that I found helpful:

1. You want to make middle-of-the night diaper changes as easy as possible. DS1 slept in a diaper, a t-shirt (NOT a onesie -- those extra snaps are so annoying in the middle of the night) and a swaddle. We didn't swaddle DS2, so he slept in a sleeper (ZIP, not snaps. Seriously, snaps in the middle of the night will make you murderous) or a gown. Both easy peasy.

2. Have pacifiers, bottles and formula even if you plan to bf. You just never know and you don't want to be stuck at 2 a.m. I was SO anti-pacifier with DS1, but on day 3 at 2 a.m. I was sure glad my veteran mom friend had gifted me some...

3. a baby carrier that you can use from day 1 (so a wrap, sling or mei tai).

good luck!
Kate, mama to three crazy boys! Owen (3/30/09) , Rory (8/18/11) and Brennan (8/3/14)
kateroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #27
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users

I was reading responses and I have to second a few:

Having bottles and a little bit of formula just in case. I only produced around 4oz milk a day, but we didn't fully figure this out until he was obviously starving and screaming bloody murder at 2am. 2am is not the time to run to the store.

The basket of breastfeeding supplies. I had one with nipple butter, breast pads, a bottle of water, pen and paper, a book, burp cloths (we used flour sacks, they were great), an extra sleeper, socks for me, a hair clip, granola bars, and other stuff that popped up along the way.
Mama to B and E, Wife to E
Parenting with Hugs and Terror since 2011
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote