Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
WilliamsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: My first c-section - so many questions!

I guess some hospitals do things differently, reading what others have written. I ate before I had passed gas, or at least don't remember them asking me about that, and I've read in other threads people saying that they had to have a BM before leaving, not the case for me. I guess if you're wondering how any of that will go for you, just ask. :-)

Advertisement

Luke 9/26/13
WilliamsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Am I really going to be stuck on my back after surgery? I hate being stuck on my back, has anyone else been able to sit up a little while after surgery?

My DH will be with me in the room the whole time so he can help with the baby. I was planning on cd'ing in the hospital but I'm starting to rethink that. I want to worry about snuggling with my baby and not on diapers I'm going to have to wash when I get home.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
dmj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done at 3 View Post
Can't offer any insight, but just wanted to say I am in a similar situation. Not due to baby being breech but issues with ds2's delivery. I am so scared and did a birth plan to address some concerns I had heard of. One of the biggest being having my arms restrained. I do not know if this is common or not but I do know it would elevate me anxiety, so I am requesting that not be done. I also am opting for stitches, just don't like the idea of staples. I imagine the scaring would be less with stitches, but that is just a guess. Best of luck!
I have had 3 c/s and staples are easier! Easier to remove. It really doesn't hurt unless they get some redness around them, even then no worse than having your eyebrows waxed.
dmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
dmj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina View Post
Am I really going to be stuck on my back after surgery? I hate being stuck on my back, has anyone else been able to sit up a little while after surgery?

My DH will be with me in the room the whole time so he can help with the baby. I was planning on cd'ing in the hospital but I'm starting to rethink that. I want to worry about snuggling with my baby and not on diapers I'm going to have to wash when I get home.
I wouldn't use cd's in the hospital due to the meconium staining them forever. You won't be stuck on your back either. As soon as the spinal wears off you will be able to sit up. You can walk as soon as you feel up to it. I have had 3 c/s's.
dmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

I have had two cesareans, I have never used a disposable or any formula. Insist that baby comes with you in recovery for nursing, I was able to nurse within 15min of birth. I never felt drowsy or drugged. We opted out of the newborn bath routine and got to snuggle nonstop our entire hospital stay (3 days due to my incision re opening, I had staples an also had a fever). I you do end up needing the cesarean, be ready for a much different experience, make sure you find peace!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Also! My milk came in at 24hrs! So stay strong!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Don't be scared. There is a lot of fear-mongering with C/S but really, they shouldn't be feared. I can give you an extremely detailed rundown of the entire thing if you think it will make you feel better.

In regards to sitting up, you will be reclined in the recovery room and most likely wearing the compression booties that are there to avoid blood clots. These are great, like 24 hours of massage! Enjoy them. At the end of my pregnancy, I was a swollen mess and my feet were the worst of all. The booties were great. Something to look forward to.

Catheter rules depend on your hospital. Some take it out after 12 hours even if it's the middle of the night, some will do it the next morning. You should ask what the rules are if you are concerned.

Absolutely go in and tell them you are fearful of this compromising your breastfeeding relationship and that you wish the baby to be with you at all times and to try to latch on immediately. If the hospital has a lactation nurse on staff, ask ahead of time what their hours are and if you can have an appointment with them right away. They will help you with the logistics if what you usually use for a hold is not conducive for a C/S. The football hold works great.

You are not flat on your back nor on your back for a long period of time. They will actually instead encourage you to get up and moving whenever you can as it gets things flowing through your body again and is good for you.

I had staples and I think they were great. My OB recommended them. I was able to choose but when I pressed him on what he recommended he said staples. Less of a scar, better healing.

You will want to go home in a flowy maxi dress. You will not want any pants or anything touching the incision.

I recommend bringing probiotics with you to the hospital and telling your nurse that you would like to take them when you are allowed to eat again. This is because with many C/S they give preventative antibiotics. You will be able to avoid thrush.

I found out on my due date I had to have a C/S and it was scheduled for the next day. I was pretty bummed. It was not what I wanted nor expected. It turned out just fine.

I would absolutely recommend as well that you discuss any fears with the anesthesiologist if you have them. Mine was great and really wanted my experience to be the best possible. He explained everything, told me what he was giving me, and why. Also, since of course you will get painkillers in the line (which are not over the top, they do not want you out of it) sometimes they do benadryl as well so you don't itch a ton in recovery. I personally am sensitive to benadryl in IV form so we talked that over ahead of time. Feel free to personalize your experience, Mama. Everyone in that room is there in that moment for you and the birth of your baby.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmj View Post
I wouldn't use cd's in the hospital due to the meconium staining them forever. You won't be stuck on your back either. As soon as the spinal wears off you will be able to sit up. You can walk as soon as you feel up to it. I have had 3 c/s's.
I've CDed both my babies from birth, don't worry about meconium if you do decide to CD. It washes out more easily than EBF poop does.

I've had two (unplanned) c-sections, they weren't a cakewalk but they also weren't even close to as bad as I thought they'd be. I did get a little panicky during the surgery, and extremely nauseated, so be prepared for that. The anesthesiologist administered anti-nausea meds when I told her, and it got better quickly, but for me that was absolutely the worst part of having a c-section. My hands weren't strapped down, they sometimes strap them down to keep them from falling off the table but if you tell them you don't want to be strapped down, they'll generally honor your wishes.

Both my c's were very similar. After baby was out, I got to see them for a minute, then they went with DH and a nurse in a little room right off the surgery room to get cleaned up. After the 20-30 minutes it took me to get stitched up, they wheeled me into the same room and I was able to nurse right away, and neither baby ever left my side after that. After about 30 minutes in that room (where they checked my BP a couple times, etc.), we were wheeled down the hall into a normal room, where the nurses washed all the surgery goop (not the technical term, lol) off my belly.

With DS I was up and walking in about 5 hours, with DD I was up and walking in 3. I was a little shaky, but felt much better after being up. With DS they left the catheter in for about 12 hours, but with DD they took it out after 5 because I was up, moving, etc.

Recovery wasn't terrible, the day after the surgery was the worst. My incision didn't hurt too much either time, but I had bigger babies and they had to do some serious maneuvering to get them out, so my ribs were horribly sore. I didn't need anything more than Advil after the second day, though. They'll also probably want you to take a stool softener.

I didn't have many restrictions at all. I was able to eat as soon as I wanted, shower within 24 hours, get up and move as I pleased, etc. I was able to keep my babies in the room, nurse frequently and snuggle a lot. It took 5 days for my milk to come in with DS, and 4 days with DD, but they were both totally content in the meantime.

Good luck, mama! I hope you don't need a c/s, but if you do, I wish you and baby a quick recovery.

ETA - my first was born on a Thursday afternoon, I could have been released Saturday afternoon if I wished (and I did) except he needed to be under the bili lights. We were released Monday morning. DD was born on Tuesday morning, we were released Friday morning. I was ready to leave Wednesday night, lol.

Last edited by sisu; 07-26-2012 at 01:51 PM.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #19
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have not experienced a c-section myself, but I took classes to be a childbirth educator and my first birth was very traumatic.

Here's my suggestions, and
Invest in a postpartum belly wrap. These are good for ANY birthing Mama, but especially helpful after a c-section or other abdominal surgery. I do not recommend the fitted velcro on type like some hospitals give out, they're just awful. Look for a device similar to a Moby wrap! It allows you to wrap to your comfort level. The fitted velcro type, you literally need three people and a foot to get you into. Totally torture.

Have you heard of "baby friendly" hospitals and birth practices? They have extended the idea to c-sections as well. MOST c-sections/doctors/hospitals can accommodate these wishes no problem, obviously emergency health situations barred but sounds like your c-section is expected to go smoothly.
Here's some info on baby friendly c-sections I quickly Googled:
http://www.pregnancy-info.net/friendly-cesareans.html
http://doula-ing.blogspot.com/2010/0...-cesarean.html
http://obnurse35yrs.wordpress.com/20...ing-it-happen/

Have you looked into getting a doula or other support system (other than husband/partner?) I highly recommend! Doulas have shown time and time again to improve birthing and recovery outcomes for mom and baby. And, it never hurts to have extra hands around.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oops!
Very important:

http://spinningbabies.com/

Try to get that baby moving!
Have you seen a chiropractor? I saw a chiropractor during one pregnancy. Baby was not in an ideal birth position and I had terrible hip/back misalignment. A few adjustments made a world of difference for me and baby. I would recommend seeing a chiro trained in the care of pregnant women.