Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Re: My first c-section - so many questions!

Just a suggestion but why not let your body go into labor naturally. That will give baby the longest amount of time possible to turn. If the hospital has an OB on staff all the time then there is no reason you wouldn't be able to do this. I would also insist on an u/s before surgery to make sure that baby is still breech.

I think the probiotic suggestion of the previous posters is an excellent idea. You should probably even start taking them 2 weeks or so before your due date just in case of a c-section.

Best of luck to you Mama.

Advertisement

Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

OP - I know you didn't ask about breech babies but you did mention being scared of the C so I was wondering if you want some advice on breech?

There IS still time for baby to turn! My last two babies were breech and one turned less then a week before delivery on her own! I highly suggest the spinning babies website another PP suggested. Also spend time everyday on your hands and knees with your rump in the air - it worked for me TWICE!

(ETA - Baby spinning on her own was super wierd. My first spun while I was in the car and it was akward but not terrible. My second spun during our first breeches birthday party. It did make me get sick but wasn't terrible.)

You can try chiro too - I never needed it though. AND you can also try for a version. Here they do them at 38 weeks so if you go into labour or if baby needs help they can take baby right away. I would never go straight to the C without at least trying other things first since the recovery time is going to be longer.

Also are there any hospitals which deliver breech near you? If my last DD had been bum breech at birth they would have let me deliver her that way they only don't do footling breech here.

As for the version my OB told me when I was asking about mine (I cancelled it since baby moved on her own) that he has even had one woman who they did the version on WHILE in labour and her baby flipped and was born vag later that day.

I don't know if you want it since you may be resigned to the C - but there is hope if you want to try to avoid it.

Last edited by mg5g; 07-26-2012 at 02:06 PM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina View Post
This is my 5th baby and my first c-section. Baby is breech and while I'm still hoping she'll turn I know that there is a very good chance she won't. My section is scheduled for August 3rd and I am terrified. I have no idea what to expect. They keep telling me my stay will be 2 days but that just doesn't seem like enough time to recover!?
I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you can answer.

My OB said she usually uses staples but she will use sutures if that's what her patients want. Which is better? I'm not a skinny girl but I've lost alot of weight and have some extra skin that hangs down from where I lost. I'm thinking sutures would be better for me but I just don't know.

I am an avid breastfeeder and I'm so worried that this will jepordize a breastfeeding relationship. How did it work for you? Are you so doped up you just don't care? I really don't want that.

How long before they take the cath out and you can walk around? I know that walking can help and I want to be up and around as soon as I can.

Anything else you think you can tell me would be great. I'm just devastated right now and I just want to know that it's going to be ok.
Quote:
Am I really going to be stuck on my back after surgery? I hate being stuck on my back, has anyone else been able to sit up a little while after surgery?

My DH will be with me in the room the whole time so he can help with the baby. I was planning on cd'ing in the hospital but I'm starting to rethink that. I want to worry about snuggling with my baby and not on diapers I'm going to have to wash when I get home.
Everyone's experiences are different depending on the dr and hospital but you can write up a birth plan, I had one and it was great. I made 3 copies, one for the dr, one for the nurses who cared for me after the c/s and one for my baby book.
They don't have you flat on your back after the c/s, you will be partially sitting up, with my recent c/s they had to lower me flat because my bp was too low and it made me puke but that doesn't happen to everyone.
The birth plan is going to be your best thing to do so you can have your wishes there for everyone.
They will let you stay longer if you tell the dr, I stayed 4 days this time, I didn't have to, they were going to let me go after 2 days but I asked to stay. I liked being taken care of and fed, the hospital food was really good..lol
You can have the baby with you to nurse in recovery, add it to your birth plan. Good luck, everything will be great and get up asap after surgery.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you everyone for all of your experiences and answering my questions. I really, really appreciate it.

I've been on the spinning babies website and I'm still doing the techniques and will until the day of my c-section. They will do an u/s on that day to make sure she hasn't turned.
I have been seeing a chiro that specializes in pregnant woman and she has been adjusting my hips and back for weeks. This little girl moves alot and I'm almost positive she was head down the other day, I think she's just a spinner but I don't know for sure. All I can do is pray that she decides to turn back to head down for good.
There is 1 OB in my area that delivers breech but he's not in my network and we just cannot afford to pay out of pocket for him. I just need to come to terms with this and try to make the best of it. Really I know it will be ok, I know that as long as I have a healthy baby that everything else really doesn't matter. The thing I'm most concerned about is recovery. I am terrified of my incision opening up, getting infected, having to pack it, barely being able to move. Really that is my biggest fear.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #25
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I've had staples and dissolving sutures with glue, my scar healing was fine with both ways, it shrinks and fades a lot.
You won't bust open as log as you care for it and take it very easy. I had no issues with my 3 c/section recoveries.
What do you mean, having to pack it? Also the baby can turn even during labor, my dr who delivered my first daughter told me he's had babies flip during labor to breech and back. So, good luck and I hope whichever way your sweet baby comes into the world, that your both safe and happy.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #26
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
What do you mean, having to pack it?
When the wound has already started to heal but opens up a little, I've heard you have to pack it with gauze to keep it from oozing or something like that. Hopefully I won't have to worry about that.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
beckis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh you'll be fine!! I had all 4 of mine by csection & I ebf'd them all. I had internal dissolvable sutures & they placed a lidocaine catheter called On-Q in my incision when they closed it & it kept the area numb for two days which helped with pain management. The foley catheter came out later that day once I was up and around.

My suggestions for better recovery:
1. Get up and walking as soon as possible! The more you move those first three days, the faster you will recover. Take the baby for walks, pushing the crib-thing, around the maternity floor a few times a day.
2. Drink lots! My milk always came in quickly.
3. TAKE the PAIN MEDS the first 2 days!! It's much easier to keep on top of the pain from the beginning. After 4 section, I learned when I took the pain meds in the hospital, I could drop to Advil once I got home. None of my babies ever showed any effects from the meds.
4. Enjoy the time in the hospital with just you and the baby! Since you can't be up doing things, really absorb those hours with just the two of you before going home to the other kids.
5. Perhaps the best little tid-bit, ask the nurses about a day '2' sepository. Your bowels like to shut down after surgery & a simply glycerine sepository on day two will get you back on track before you're in agony! And abdominal binders are great for support! If the hospital doesn't give you one ( mine didn't) purchase one yourself. I got mine before my last section so I was set as soon as I got home.

Good luck!!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #28
mom22boysand1girl
Registered Users
seller

All my babies have been c/s. My #1 suggestion is to walk alot. You are sore alot but the more you get up the better you will feel. Of course you still have to take it easy. Walk the hallways with your hubby after. I promise you will heal so much faster.
mom22boysand1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

My OB said she usually uses staples but she will use sutures if that's what her patients want. Which is better? I'm not a skinny girl but I've lost alot of weight and have some extra skin that hangs down from where I lost. I'm thinking sutures would be better for me but I just don't know.

I am an avid breastfeeder and I'm so worried that this will jepordize a breastfeeding relationship. How did it work for you? Are you so doped up you just don't care? I really don't want that.

How long before they take the cath out and you can walk around? I know that walking can help and I want to be up and around as soon as I can.

Anything else you think you can tell me would be great. I'm just devastated right now and I just want to know that it's going to be ok.
1. My doctor typically does staples. It involves an extra trip for me to go get them taken out 6-7 days later... I don't know which is better (staples vs. stitches), but the extra appt. does suck! I'm a plus size gal, if that helps any.

2. The annoying thing for me is that at my hospital they require you gradually be inclined after the c/s and they won't let you sit up-up for a few hours. That made it a bit more difficult for me to get a good latch (I'm not boobly blessed though so maybe bigger breasts would help that?) The nurses helped me get my babies to latch until I could sit up better.

3. I walk around WITH the cath in as soon as I can! haha. WALK, WALK, WALK! Often and often. It will hurt, but the more you are up and about, the less sore you'll be. Learned this after my 1st c-section and it helped a bunch after my 2nd and 3rd c/s. First day of recovery, just doing bed to chair, chair to bed often. The second day, walk around the halls frequently and SLOWLY. Our hospital takes out the cathetar the next morning after the c-section (so you don't have to get in and out of bed a bunch that first night... my first c/s I had to have the cath in a bit longer and I forget why.

4. Make sure they have the squeezy cuffs (technical term, you know) on your feet whenever you are laying down. They can prevent clots from forming. They can get annoying, but better wearing them than not.

5. ((hugs)). The unknown is scary, I understand. Something that helped calm my nerves during each of my c-sections, was to make a playlist (cd with my first c/s and ipod with the others) that relaxed me. They'd turn it on when I go in the OR and play it the whole time. I would close my eyes and just concentrate on that and not the lights or the tugging, etc. And vocalize to them that you are nervous and scared. I think it reminds them to be extra sensitive to that. Seeing that you are a 5th time mom and so on, might make them think that you are a pro now and have no nerves. So talk to the team.

6. Start making freezer meals for home. I like to make 4-6 weeks worth of meals so I have plenty of time to recover. That varies from woman to woman, but with 4 kids at home; having ready made meals will be a lifesaver regardless. You can even make freezer breakfast meals and lunches too, if you have the space.

7. With the last baby, I stayed at the hospital the WHOLE time they let me!!! It's my only vacation time I'll ever get and the only QUIET time with the baby, so I stayed all 4 days. PLUS, it gave me more time to heal before the older kids needed me. I encourage you to stay as long as you can to give yourself extra down time... at home, it can be hard to stay down when everyone needs you.

8. Fly someone in if you can. I fly my sister out to help for a week or so and DH stays home a week or so. Last c/s I was blessed to have my mom, sis, and Dh all stay a week each. It REALLY helps to only have to worry about you and the baby.

9. Make a time sheet of meds (iron pill, colace, oxy, and ibprufen)... in the middle of the night it's hard to remember when you took what. And so having it all written down, helps you to stay on top of your pain and can help your spouse know when to give you what.

10. CONGRATS on getting to meet Baby #5 soon! C-S are very different than vaginal births, but they can be special too. Two different worlds, but a baby at the end of both. I had healthier babies at the end of my c/s vs. my vaginal birth and so I'm thankful for them.

Forgot to add: If after your c/s you start developing a strange headache (sensitive to lights or noises or you feel really off or head is pounding), it can be a spinal headache. Ask for the bloodpatch immediately. Don't think it'll get better or wait thinking it'll get better or you don't want to annoy the the anes. again. They can get an attitude about doing one, but a blood patch can take away pain within 20 minutes of having it done. They just draw blood from your arm and insert it in your back with fluid is leaking out. I've gotten a spinal headache 2 out of 3 c/s and the blood patch cleared it up both times, withint 20-25 minutes. Bloodpatch.

Last edited by raisingcropsandbabies; 07-26-2012 at 04:48 PM.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #30
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
The thing I'm most concerned about is recovery. I am terrified of my incision opening up, getting infected, having to pack it, barely being able to move. Really that is my biggest fear.
Recovery is harder for c/s mommies. It's a surgery and you have a newborn. That's why having help for the other kids is a must (in my book). For us plus sized mamas, we have to be extra careful to lay flat off and on throughout the day and let our incision get some air. I had a lot of overhang after my 12 lb. baby and I did have to deal with minor infeciton because it was harder to get air to. Goldenseal root helped me. It wasn't a bad infection though and did clear up after a week. Remember to give your incision lots of air (EVEN having a fan blow on it).

At home, walk around often and rest often. Sometimes you think you are feeling great and then you over-do it. So it's better to air on the side of resting when you feel good with short walking intervals. You'll want to bend over to help fold some laundry around week 2, but just wait. My recoveries are somewhat humbling because I have to accept help where I can and learn to just let others bless me. It can be hard to let go of control so just prepare yourself. I learned that the house will get crazy with hubby in charge, but we'll survive and I'll slowly get it under control again, week by week.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote