Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: need CPS advice asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley84 View Post
I would seriously question a phone call from CPS. They usually come out in person, at least in my state. Anyone could have pretended to be CPS and made that call. She should call CPS and the local police and question the legitimacy of that phone call. If it was legit, she needs to get a lawyer, ASAP.
My heart breaks for the little one.

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me ... unless it was maybe the Dr's who reported the abuse? My BFF JUST went through having CPS called on her by an X to report she was abusing the kids. They talked to her, did an investigation and took references. She has primary custody and at no time did the kids leave or did CPS even threaten to block her from seeing them. I am guessing your friend must have some VERY serious allegations against her to block access 100% but usually CPS wants to work with the family. I would see about petitioning the court for an emergency hearing and yes she needs a lawyer asap! BUT my first call would be to CPS - she should have a file number and or a contact to make sure that the phone call she got was even ligit. AND - she can call patient information or the nursing sation at the hospital to get a general update (or you could for her if she is worried about getting in trouble) on LO's condition unless it is noted on the file as a Do Not Aknowledge anyone can call for an update.
When the child is sick it's treated differently than normal kids, they can and will block access to the child at the hospital. They can even keep the child at the hospital longer to finish the investigation.

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller

Thanks all. We have no idea what the allegations against her are, or who made them- CPS won't say anything about it. She did go in and they confirmed what the original case worker had said- she is really supposedly not able to be in contact with him.

Ex-BIL responded to our texts at least, and we know that nephew has gone in for surgery. Hopefully he'll at least let us know how it goes afterwards. We would absolutely just go in if we could, but we're in CA and he's in TX.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would question this - even if it's legit - She may not be able to have access to her son but she should DEFINTIELY be able to get updated info from the hospital or CPS about his medical condition!!!

I'm in Canada and this would absolutely not happen here - at least not where I am from - and I did work for child protection services. Parents - as long as children aren't wards ofthe state (called crown wards here) - still have rights to info and updates - even if they can't be with their children - and in a case like this the worker should work with her to get her in to see her child supervised.

But I do know things can be VERY different in the states.

Good luck!!!
mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would question this - even if it's legit - She may not be able to have access to her son but she should DEFINTIELY be able to get updated info from the hospital or CPS about his medical condition!!!

I'm in Canada and this would absolutely not happen here - at least not where I am from - and I did work for child protection services. Parents - as long as children aren't wards ofthe state (called crown wards here) - still have rights to info and updates - even if they can't be with their children - and in a case like this the worker should work with her to get her in to see her child supervised.

But I do know things can be VERY different in the states.

Good luck!!!
mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller

updated original post
Old 07-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh no so sad to hear. Can you get updates for her?

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I know it's a bjt late to help now, but for what its worth, CPS works under very different "rules." I work with Texas children who have been removed by CPS so I've seen the ins an outs of the system to an extent.

CPS can remove a child under allegations of abuse or neglect. They have, usually, 24 hours to begin an investigation into the allegations.

If the allegations are possibly true or definitely true, they start the formal process of serving the parents, putting the children in TMC of the state, etc. If the allegations are unfounded the children must be returned...I forget the timeline on that one though. 36 hours maybe?

I'm confused where the child was when CPS called/came. With dad? Or was he taken away by CPS?

CPS can have a judge order that parent can't have contact with the child. It's certainly not fair, but they do it.

I saw the update, but I hope things have settled down now and the child is healthy and recovering.
WannaBeGreen2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #19
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller

He was already at the hospital, with his dad, when the info was given. I have no idea what's going to happen next. My other question, if anyone knows about these things, is what will happen with her other son. He's actually with us right now for a few weeks. I wonder if we'll be able to bring him back to his mom or if we'll have to figure out a way to bring him to his dad.

The older nephew's surgery is over, and it was mega successful, thank God. His whole tumor was removed. Thanks everyone for your help.