Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
caedmyn
Registered Users
seller

See Kai Runs with stitching around outside in wet conditions?

Has anyone used the SKRs with stitching around the outside in wet conditions?
Like these, (Obviously I wouldn't be buying sandals, just using these as an example.) There's a few negative reviews of them on Amazon saying that the stitching on the bottom lets moisture in easily. These would be fall shoes so they need to be moisture-resistant though I don't necessarily expect them to keep his feet dry if he steps in a puddle or something.

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: See Kai Runs with stitching around outside in wet conditions?

I never had a problem with them, but I wasn't letting my kids walk through puddles in them!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

We've had pairs of both kinds of SKR shoes (stitching around the outside and hidden stitching), and honestly the ones with the stitching are lasting better. DS is extremely hard on his shoes -- jumps in puddles, plays in mud, spills things on himself, etc. The pair we have with exterior stitching has been washed (by hand) twice (because they reeked), and are in decent shape. The sandals with hidden stitching have the sole separating from the toes.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
caedmyn
Registered Users
seller

I'm mainly concerned with him being able to play in wet grass or walk on the sidewalk when there's 1/2" of snow on it without his feet getting wet. So in your experience they'd be fine for those uses?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
nichey
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think they'd be fine for regular fall/winter moisture. We live in Seattle and DS's pair last winter were the outside stitching type. I never had issues with either letting his feet get wet (we live in the PacNW so LOTS of rain and puddles). Now, if it were a super wet slushy snow then I probably would choose a different pair of shoes or boots.
nichey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

SKR shoes aren't the same quality as they once were. With my first ds, they held up well. Recently, I bought a few pair, and the leather wore off within days. It recently came out that they are now being made in China, and contained toxic chemicals...the shipment of them was actually seized in Washington state I believe. I won't be buying them anymore

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis
SKR shoes aren't the same quality as they once were. With my first ds, they held up well. Recently, I bought a few pair, and the leather wore off within days. It recently came out that they are now being made in China, and contained toxic chemicals...the shipment of them was actually seized in Washington state I believe. I won't be buying them anymore
Thank you for posting this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...html?ref=green

I'm actually surprised by this. I don't buy SKRs because they are too wide, but it makes me wonder about Pedipeds and Stride Rites too. So sad.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
caedmyn
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
I think the story's been blown out of proportion, personally. That level of lead was legal a year or two ago--is it really so much less safe now, or are things just more regulated? The level of regulation on children's products is approaching the ridiculous. I don't believe cloth diapers are any safer now that they're more highly regulated and care & content labels are mandated. I'm not going to stop buying from a company because they make one mistake, particularly when they can't even defend themselves or tell their side of the story because of a gag order due to the ongoing investigation. Anything you buy that's dyed leather is subject to the same problem, unless the company can guarantee that the dye was made (and tested) in the US. I'm sure synthetic shoes are full of chemicals too.