Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tips for keeping newborn safe from toddler germs?

I agree with letting them bond more. And maybe getting a sitter for the toddler, not sure of cost vs school cost but that way you can get rest from outside germs.
Keep up the hand washing and use some disinfectant on doorknobs, toys, etc... I'm pretty sure vinegar can be used as disinfectant but can't remember. Also, washing sheets and blankets more often has helped us too.
Sorry mama, sick babies always make me sad but it happens

Advertisement

mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by mommycass; 07-26-2012 at 12:57 PM.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
watchdog_mama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much, mamas! Having two kids makes me feel like a rookie all over again -- I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something I could be doing to help. Very reassuring to hear from all the mamas who have had no serious troubles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
I am sorry your LO has a cold! I had that attitude before DD2 was born. When DD2 was 3 weeks old DD1 got a high fever... over 103. I called the pedi and asked what I should do...I would normally give it a couple of days to run it's course. They wanted to see DD1 because DD2 was so little. They determined it was probably viral and would run its course. Then non-chalantly told me if DD2 developed a fever over 100.4F before she was 2 months old I was to take her to the emergency room where they would admit her to the hospital, give her a lumbar puncture and put her on prophylactic antibiotics by IV until the CSF culture came back A few days later DD1 got a rash and it was clear she had roseola. Thank God the baby never got a fever. Needless to say I will always be paranoid when there is a newbie around.
Juliasmom, you sound like us. We were not worried about any of this at first! But our daughter's temperature was at exactly 100.3 for an entire night last week, which gave DH and I time to learn -- and worry -- about all the tests our sweet baby would be in for if her temperature climbed just a bit higher. Our pedi told us that once she's two months old, her defenses will be stronger and that hospital protocol for newborns with fevers will be different.

Thanks again, everyone! It's wonderful to be reassured by all you experienced mamas.
watchdog_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel+3
Siblings are going to share every germ no matter what. Let him enjoy being a big brother. Forming that sibling bond is way more important to me than trying in vain to keep the little one from getting sick.
Agreed! I had a 16 month old, when I had my youngest son. He is all up in his face constantly. I breastfed/bottle-breastmilk for a month-reflux on enfamil ar now. But he is so healthy. I am not worried. He's gonna get sick one day. I don't limited DS1 at all.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel+3
Siblings are going to share every germ no matter what. Let him enjoy being a big brother. Forming that sibling bond is way more important to me than trying in vain to keep the little one from getting sick.
I agree! Your baby will be fine!
Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wear baby
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #17
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's hard when she's so little. I thought that if a child that young had any fever, they would admit her to the hospital.

Anyway, I'd just say (for the next few weeks) that he can't hold the baby til he's washed his hand and maybe even changed his shirt. And no kissing or snuggling her face.

But, other than that, you just hope for the best I guess. I don't think there's a lot you can do.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
watchdog_mama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23 View Post
get a nose frida. i didn't have one for ds but someone bought me one as a gift this time around. coolest.baby.gadget.ever. so nasty when you see all the chunks of snot sucked up into it. who knew someone so small could have so much snot in them?! but i actually felt like a couple rounds of that and she would breath much better for the rest of the day.
Thanks for this! I already have one for my toddler, and for some reason didn't think to try it on the new baby. That thing is awesome.
watchdog_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #19
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel+3 View Post
I agree I think a baby exposed to the germs will be healthier in the long run
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #20
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

I took my daughter out of school after she caught rsv and passed it to me and my at the time baby. I decided homeschooling was better suited for us in the end.