Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
gghmommy
Registered Users

how to transition to big bed?

So, just trying to think ahead and get a little prepared. We're expecting a valentine baby and have a 20 mo. We'd like to move our DD to a bed(twin, low to the ground, probably with a side rail) before our newbie arrives. She's not yet climbing out of her crib-yeah! but I think she'll try it on the bed when she doesn't want to lay down. Any ideas? I know we've got some time, I just want to be comfortable with it before baby comes. thanks

Advertisement

gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how to transition to big bed?

We just moved them. No transition time/just matress on the floor (though I had several friends that did that) Went from crib one night to big boy bed the next. We did race car beds for both boys since the matress sat lower so it had sides built in. They did great. We moved DS1 when he turned 2 (February) and then DS2 was born in May. We did have DS1 "help" DH put his big boy bed together and he was pretty excited.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I find that doing it all in one fell swoop works best. Just rearrange the room and be prepared for possibly a few tough nights as she learns her new boundaries and such. My oldest never climbed out or caused trouble, just started using her big girl bed with no problem. The middle one was a rascal so we do child proof the room as much as possible, have a strict bedtime routine and put her back in bed over and over until she got the plan. sometimes she would fall asleep on the floor or in the closet even but we would just put her back in bed as needed.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

we transitioned from crib to toddler bed at 21 months to prep for the new baby. At first she didn't climb out, then she would, but if I said "Emmy stays" she would stay in bed, but now at 23.5 months she will fully climb out, BUT she will get back in after I shut her door. I guess it depends on your parenting style (at her age I will now let her cry for 5-10 minutes, before I try and put her back in bed, she usually lasts 1-2 minutes before I can hear her climb back in bed. (obviously most toddler beds are a little lower, but she can climb in her sisters twin bed no issue (hah, which bugs her sister) we've yet to find her on the floor in the morning, always in her bed.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Oldest it seemed was ok but we went straight to twin. We heard her roll out & still do but was ok nothing special (about 15 mo top 2 yrs I think). Second we r just trying now cuz expecting infeb but she only 15 mon & its a toddler bed.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

We transitioned at 18months and had no problems at all. She wasn't climbing out of her crib or anything. We just decided to do it.

She did, for awhile, decide to get out of bed and play. But, this wasn't a problem for us - we don't care. She had toys in her crib, so what's the difference? When she was done, she'd get in bed and go to sleep.

Now, she stays in bed as the newness has worn off. Except she still loves it. She pats it and says 'bed bed!' She was extremely excited about the switch.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

We moved DS1 to the toddler bed a month or so before DS2 was born. I didn't want him to have to adjust to a new bed and a new baby at the same time. The first few nights were rough. He kept getting out of bed and opening the door to come out. I had to actually sit in the room with him until he feel asleep. Finally after a few days, I put the doorknob cover things on, so he couldn't open the door. The first night he probably stood at the door for 10 mins. trying to get it open, the crawled into bed and fell asleep. The second night was maybe 5 mins. We didn't have any more problems after that. We took the doorknob covers off when he potty trained. We just moved DS2 a couple weeks ago. I was just assuming we would have the same issues, so I put the doorknob covers on before moving him. But the first night, and every night since then, I have tucked him into bed, he puts his head on the pillow, and doesn't even attempt to climb out. Not sure if it is because he has played on the bed with his brother so much, that it wasn't a big deal that he could climb out?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
We transitioned at 18months and had no problems at all. She wasn't climbing out of her crib or anything. We just decided to do it.

She did, for awhile, decide to get out of bed and play. But, this wasn't a problem for us - we don't care. She had toys in her crib, so what's the difference? When she was done, she'd get in bed and go to sleep.

Now, she stays in bed as the newness has worn off. Except she still loves it. She pats it and says 'bed bed!' She was extremely excited about the switch.
This is about us. We also move ours at about 18 months. We don't mind if they play in their bed. If they come out if their room we just keep putting them back. They quickly learn to stay.
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote