Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Karmalaa14
Registered Users

Unhappy New Cloth Mama need help

Ok so my friend has turned me on to cloth diapering. Day 1 she brought a bunch of diapers for me to use a variety so I could figure out which ones I like. Now, my lo never poops much but of course this day she pooped in every stinkin diaper lol. Well she stayed in cloth all day and by night was red as could be. I don't know if it was her poop fiesta or one of the types of diapers used or her being wet. She is a very heavy wetter I swear she pees all day long like a leaky faucet.

Where do I begin in figuring this out? I had her in disposables all yesterday so I could cream her up real good and aired out in between too. She is starting to look better so I want to go back to the cloth but am not sure what to do. I have everything from Gerber triple ply to all in ones to various liners. My friend said something about laying fleece on top to help her feel dry. What fabrics help them feel the driest?

Sorry so long winded as I said I am totally new to this. Oh and my pookie is 5 months as of yesterday and hubby supports cloth 100% which helps immensely.

Advertisement

Karmalaa14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
lmiranda8681
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: New Cloth Mama need help

It was probably from all the pooping, my son gets really red when that happens too. Try something with a fleece inside like a fuzzibunz pocket or something, Also, change her very often and get a diaper cream that you can use with cloth, like grandma el's(there are quite a few others as well). Cloth you have to change more often than disposables. At least every 2 hours or sooner if they wet.
lmiranda8681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would say it was from the pooping as well but it's important for their bums to get air in cloth too. There is rarely redness that can't be solved in our house just by a little coverless time. I would also want to know what your friend washes them with and if they are actually sanitized. Exactly what type of diapers where you using and how often did you change?

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
lmiranda8681
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, it's a little bit of trial and error. lots of people will say fitteds without covers, because they allow the skin to breathe, where as PUL(that waterproof material on covers, pockets & aio's) do not. but then most fitteds are natural fibers so do not wick any moister away. Another great thing about fitteds though is you can feel/see right when they wet. My 2nd son had very sensitive skin. He was allergic to disposables and would get rashes often with cloth too. I used to keep him in a good absorbent fitted without covers so I could change him as soon as he wet/soiled it and they were also breathable. And I used pockets for when we went out because they just were not practical for under clothes, and were bulky with a cover over. My 3rd son is not quite as sensitive and only gets rashes on a rare occasion when he has his poop-fests or whatever, lol. And I think pockets are easier, and more practical for us, so I just use a little cream on him and let him go diaperless, until it clears up.
lmiranda8681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Karmalaa14
Registered Users

My friend gave me some CJ's and I bought a little sample size of it too. I used FuzziBunz, BumGenius, Rumparoos, and G-diapers with gerber cloth inside. Nothing that I thought should have irritated her. She doesn't usually get rashes either. She got one with her antibiotic but never really any other time until now.
Karmalaa14 is offline   Reply With Quote