Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
ashandri
Registered Users
seller

ergo vs. framed backpack carriers??/

I had decided to get an ergo to carry my 12 month old on my back. However, my mom keeps saying that is would be better to get a framed backpack (kelty??). I want to hike, but I also want to be able to wear it to do errands. Has anyone tried both or have any advice. I love the ergo and have heard great things about it. However, I do want to be able to use it for awhile, ya know? I also am concerned about how the child seems to look on your back. Will that make a difference? Thanks

Advertisement

ashandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:
Re: ergo vs. framed backpack carriers??/

Well, my opinion, I by far prefer a framed carrier (I have a Kelty) to my Ergo. It just feels so much more secure to me, but then again, I used that thing a LOT with DS from about 4 1/2 months to 18 months or so... so I got VERY comfortable with it. I really used it all the time.. from grocery shopping, to the bank, and even on the occation when I had to take DS to school with me.. he was sooooo happy up in there, compared to being in a stroller or stuck in a shopping cart. I stopped using it when he hit 30lbs, as he just got to be too much for me to lug around, but he was walking MUCH better then, so it wasn't as much of an issue.

Anyways, the main reason I dont' like my Ergo is because DD can lean back and push on me, and I am honestly afraid she could fall out. Basically I can't use it by myself, and that really bothers me. I'll probably be selling mine (organic denim) very soon I really wanted to like it, because it's easier to carry around than a framed carrier, but I find myself using my Mei Tai's (front carry - I can't get a secure feeling back carry with a MT either!)

My only avdice if you do get a frame carrier, is to get one from a company that makes outdoor gear.. not from a "baby" company. I've heard REI makes a nice one.. comparable to the Kelty line but lower price for the features, but that was like 5 years ago, so I'm not sure if they still do.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:55 PM   #3
CATeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I find the framed backpacks too bulky and uncomfortable. I have a Kelty one that my sister gave me. I much prefer a plain Mei Tai for back carrying but love my BecoPack...it is like an Ergo but a bit taller. It does take some practice to learn how to use it alone but once you do you are set. I can scoot dd around my hip to my back in under a minute, pull up the straps and we are off. I can even remove her from my back while she is asleep and put her in her car seat.

Ergos are nice and compact. I would buy one and try it out. You could always resell it for close to its value, which isn't true for a frame pack, IMO.

Karen
CATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:10 AM   #4
i0lanthe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
My only avdice if you do get a frame carrier, is to get one from a company that makes outdoor gear.. not from a "baby" company.
I will agree with this But I think I have the opposite point of view on everything else, how funny

My experience using a Kelty with my first kid (when he got too big for cradle carry in a Maya sling) was that it's nice for hikes, has good weather protection add-ons and zip-on kid backpack and whatever, and it will stand up on its own with a kid in it (do not turn your back though!), but it is bulky and I couldn't use it in the house for everyday things. Though, on the plus side, the frame protects them if you try anyway and bump into walls and doors. We had a small car then and it took a not totally insignificant portion of the trunk. It was also not totally trivial for me to hoist onto my back by myself (I usually used the car bumper as an assist on the way up). I still have it but haven't got around to using it with kid #2.

I haven't tried an Ergo but I've used a Patapum (baby and toddler size), which seems to be a fairly similar product, and seen friends' Ergos. Compared to a Kelty they are less expensive, lighter weight, smaller to pack, easier to wash if barfed on. I can squat in them and straighten up more easily (e.g. at a grocery store getting stuff from the bottom shelf). The child's weight is held closer to my own center of mass instead of being "out there" which helps my balance. No weather protection though. I can get a 3 year old onto my back alone in a Patapum (I have put him in a baby Patapum! not that I recommend it ), which I think I would not be able to do unassisted with the Kelty. I have gone for long walks in it and been comfortable in general. If you want them to have a higher viewpoint instead of peering around your back, you could also try a mei tai where they can look over your shoulder (downside: having to decide what brand to get )

If there is an REI or Eastern Mountain Sports or someplace like that near you, I would totally go try on one of the Kelty-type carriers. Maybe you will love it like poster quoted above, but if not, then you can say "sorry mom, I tried it and it's not what I want"

Last edited by i0lanthe; 07-09-2006 at 12:12 AM.
i0lanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
rds989
Registered Users
seller

I haven't tried a frame pack, but I love my Ergo. It's super comfy, and my almost-4-yr-old can ride in it comfortably. Usually my dd is in it, and we've walked around for 2 hours at the zoo with her happy up there. As for it being secure, she's had a temper tantrum in it before (it was naptime and we still had to walk home), and she tried her darndest to get out and couldn't - so it's pretty solid, if you ask me!

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=11507.0
rds989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:53 AM   #6
houseofchaos
Registered Users
seller

We love our Ergo! Framed never worked well for me - hiking was a killer after an hour or so. I can carry our 18 mtn old comfortably for much longer than that with the Ergo.
HTH
houseofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote