Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Wondering..how many hours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I think it depends on the child, grade level and curriculum you use.
I agree. It is much easier to do hands-on learning with minimal traditional school learning when they are younger vs middle school age. And it definitely depends on the child. My oldest daughter needs a good blend of hands-on and book learning, whereas my son does fine with a more traditional schooling style. I'm not yet sure about my youngest, as she's just 5 and all we've done with her is reading and math (both quite hands-on at this point).

Now, I will say, though, that my oldest is going into 7th grade, and when she sits down and does her work, it typically does not take more than about 3- 3 1/2 hours for her to finish. That is a combination of hands-on and traditional textbook/workbook work.

Advertisement

tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure I know what you mean by sitting quietly being taught...

Our lessons are 100% interactive, it's a discussion never a lecture.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
LindsayNErik
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I HS my K'er,and her quiet sit down time is about 90 minutes a day. We do reading (her to me,and me to her),math,handwriting,etc at the kitchen counter. I actually think it is quite age appropriate and good for her to focus. We make sure to have lots of wiggly time with songs,games,free play and outside time,too.

Last edited by LindsayNErik; 07-27-2012 at 07:31 PM.
LindsayNErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #14
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
For kinder we do 2 hours, 2-3 hours for my 1st grader, 3-4 hours for my 4th grader and my teens are required by me to be doing some schoolwork for 5-6 hours a day. (sitting down, reading, worksheets, penmanship, art etc)

Then we do other learning activities that are not structured throughout the day.

Last edited by ktmelody; 07-28-2012 at 01:32 AM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
court3189
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the responses!!!

Mom to Mason (3/2003) and Maddie (11/2007) and Morgan (3/2011)
court3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #16
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm still new to this, but with my 4th and 6th graders, they have a majority of sit down do your own work type things (math, grammar, spelling, writing). For Science and History, we read aloud and discuss and then have projects that go along with the lesson-it's not totally hands-on, but very age appropriate IMO.

For DS, he only sits when he's working on reading with me and he dislikes even that little bit of sitting. He's usually counting while jumping, doing a dot to dot and running around the room between numbers, flipping off the couch between each letter he writes, etc. It's kind of dizzying, but he gets it done. And--that sounds like we're working forever--we really only work on "school" about 15 minutes each day!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #17
Candy Lee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse
I'm still new to this, but with my 4th and 6th graders, they have a majority of sit down do your own work type things (math, grammar, spelling, writing). For Science and History, we read aloud and discuss and then have projects that go along with the lesson-it's not totally hands-on, but very age appropriate IMO.
This is very much like us. With my 4th and 6th graders, much of their work requires sitting still and working independently. We go over new things at first and then they work on their own until they get it all done, unless they have a question, and then I help them. They do science and history together.

With my youngest, who is just starting Kindergarten, we do more interactive things, though he does enjoy doing seatwork.

All my boys are low key kind of kids, and they prefer to get their work done and get on with their day. We work for around 3-3.5 hours most days.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #18
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post

For DS, he only sits when he's working on reading with me and he dislikes even that little bit of sitting. He's usually counting while jumping, doing a dot to dot and running around the room between numbers, flipping off the couch between each letter he writes, etc. It's kind of dizzying, but he gets it done. And--that sounds like we're working forever--we really only work on "school" about 15 minutes each day!
This gives me hope - I'll be HS'ing my 1st grader this year for the first time and I totally know this is how he will be
Old 07-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #19
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
We have school anywhere from 1-3hrs 4days a week. About half the time Im instructing and the other they are working independently, working together, or we're playing games. Eta-they are in 2nd and K

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #20
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

depends on the kid- my oldest? Hours upon hours, probably 50-60 per week and he'd be good (I poop out first!). My youngest, maybe 3 hours a week.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote