Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
jj7202
Registered Users
seller

Risks of Multipule D&Cs

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with a blighted ovum. This is my third miscarriage. Here is my history,

4/2009 Missed miscarriage ( blighted ovum) D&C

4/2010 Birth to son 37weeks (had been on bed rest up to that point for Preterm labor from about 32weeks)

3/2012 Started to miscarry naturally at 11weeks, began soaking a pad in less than an hour, became dizzy, rushed to hospital, emergency D&C due to retained tissue.

7/2012 Diagnosed with blighted ovum, D&C scheduled for 8/8/2012 if nothing happens naturally before then.

I believe my OB uses the suction type of instrument. They did not need to dilate for my 2nd D&C as it was already open due to starting naturally.

Part of me wants to miscarry naturally but another part of me is worried I will end up in the ER again with a D&C anyways. I am 7/8weeks.

I am concerned with the risk of multiple D&Cs causing scar tissue and or incompetent cervix that could prevent me healthfully carrying future pregnancies.

Does anyone have any experience/ knowledge on the subject to help me make an informed decision.

Advertisement

jj7202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
MarzipanCat
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Risks of Multipule D&Cs

I had read that any d&c can cause scar tissue that ca cause future implantation issues -- but when I asked the doctor who was doing mine, she brushed it off and said it wouldn't affect future pregnancies. (I can't say if it has or not, but I've had 2 natural m/c since then)

Hope your doctor is able to help you make a decision. *hugs*
MarzipanCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj7202 View Post
Hi, I have just been diagnosed with a blighted ovum. This is my third miscarriage. Here is my history,

4/2009 Missed miscarriage ( blighted ovum) D&C

4/2010 Birth to son 37weeks (had been on bed rest up to that point for Preterm labor from about 32weeks)

3/2012 Started to miscarry naturally at 11weeks, began soaking a pad in less than an hour, became dizzy, rushed to hospital, emergency D&C due to retained tissue.

7/2012 Diagnosed with blighted ovum, D&C scheduled for 8/8/2012 if nothing happens naturally before then.

I believe my OB uses the suction type of instrument. They did not need to dilate for my 2nd D&C as it was already open due to starting naturally.

Part of me wants to miscarry naturally but another part of me is worried I will end up in the ER again with a D&C anyways. I am 7/8weeks.

I am concerned with the risk of multiple D&Cs causing scar tissue and or incompetent cervix that could prevent me healthfully carrying future pregnancies.

Does anyone have any experience/ knowledge on the subject to help me make an informed decision.
I don't have any advice, but I couldn't read and not offer a sincere "im sorry" for having to go through all those losses. I'm so sorry, hun.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't have any insight or advice, but I've heard the same thing as you. That being said, I've had 2 d&c previously and I didn't seem to have any difficulty getting pregnant again. Is this something you can discuss with your caregiver?
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
jj7202
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for your posts. I plan to discuss these issues with my doc I was just hoping to get some more "experiences" Sometimes I think docs brush off the risks in order to "get the job done" (and avoid being called in after hours when they can have it scheduled) also here in Germany they seem to prefer efficiency. A D&C is defiantly efficient, I'm just not sure it is a good idea to have them so close together.

So far the only pro to a D&C at this point is they can test the tissue... But it's still unlikely they find a cause.
Also we have a trip scheduled at the end of the month and I really don't want to risk naturally miscarrying in another country!

Maybe I should ask if they offer the pill for miscarriage?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

It doesn't necessarily affect implantation or have a direct link with fertility, but I'd look at risk factors for adenomyosis. It was tossed out there as a possibility linking any number of issues I have going on, including extremely heavy, painful periods, enlarged uterus, "hiding" ovaries (probably secondary to the enlarged uterus), extremely vascular uterine tissue & difficulty reading an u/s. The doctor's office isn't particularly interested in pursuing any diagnosis since it's not a direct cause of any fertility issues and there's no real treatment for it. The little bit of reading I've done has indicated that they don't know for sure what causes it, but that there's a higher incidence among women who have had invasive procedures done on their reproductive organs. I guess the thinking is that the endometrial tissue is thus "introduced" to the muscular uterine tissue & essentially infiltrates it. CS is a major correlative factor, but I wonder about d&c as well. I've never had a CS, I've never carried a baby to term, but I did have a termination (so medically, essentially a d&c) in my teens...so either this is something that spontaneously developed, or the endometrial tissue was introduced then.

Sorry, it's nothing specific, but it is a recent preoccupation & might be worth asking about.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
jj7202
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for sharing, I will look into that!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
TamberlyRN
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've had 5 D&Cs and 4 c/s. Some of those were blighted ovum. I hemorrhaged with the one I tried to carry naturally and would go for D&Cs out of fear. It's always been fine!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
jj7202
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamberlyRN
I've had 5 D&Cs and 4 c/s. Some of those were blighted ovum. I hemorrhaged with the one I tried to carry naturally and would go for D&Cs out of fear. It's always been fine!
I'm sorry for your losses and hemorrhaging is certainly a scary prospect. Thank you for sharing.

Since this post I was able to miscarry naturally. My doctor told me after it happened, he was happy I waited it out. He didn't want to preform nearly back to back D&C s if I could do it on my own without complications. (My loss in March did require treatment as I was losing so much more blood) this on, although painful was much more manageable.