Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
Liaklong's Avatar
Liaklong
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 339
My Mood:
My Vampire Baby (:

My DS is 6.5 months & is cutting his 4th tooth! He got his bottom 2 at 4mnths & is now cutting his eye teeth (looks like a little vampire). I have EBF & I just started on cereal & fruit. I offer him a multitude of teething toys, but he just wants me more than any teether. He won't take a pacifier & is comfort nursing very frequently. Although he's not biting down a ton, I am getting pretty sore & sensitive. My doc suggested removing him from the breast & not letting him nurse if he's biting so he'll learn, but he's not chomping just kinda playing. Plus he gets inconsolable otherwise.

My DD got her eye teeth a bit later & she took a teether/pacifier when she got really uncomfortable, so this is new for me. I'm not going to stop BF, but would like to be less uncomfortable. Anyone else struggle with this? Advice/suggestions please?

Advertisement

Liaklong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,863
Re: My Vampire Baby (:

I don't know about that particular tooth cutting pattern, but in general once top teeth come in if you're uncomfortable they need to be latching deeper. Other than bad behavior like biting, once you get their latch re-adjusted it shouldn't be all that much different feeling for you than before top teeth.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Liaklong's Avatar
Liaklong
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 339
My Mood:
Re: My Vampire Baby (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80 View Post
I don't know about that particular tooth cutting pattern, but in general once top teeth come in if you're uncomfortable they need to be latching deeper. Other than bad behavior like biting, once you get their latch re-adjusted it shouldn't be all that much different feeling for you than before top teeth.
I'm sorry, but this is not a latch issue. My DS nurses great and has since he was placed on my chest at birth. If he hadn't been latching right, I would have been sore since day one. When he's hungry, I have no discomfort when he's nursing. I can't even tell he has teeth most of the time, but this is different. Unlike my DD who took my milk in bottles frequently b/c my DH was a SAHD while I worked, my DS rarely gets anything but the breast. I use it to soothe as well as nurse, instead of a pacifier. He does play a bit at this time & is a bit more chewy (or just coming on & off the breat more frequently). It's hard for me to say that my DS is showing "bad behavior" while doing this because he is 6.5 mnths old and I want him to be soothed by the breast. Again, he is not chomping down and if he does he stops immediately b/c of my response ("Ouch!!") I think it's more of a frequency issue b/c he wants to latch several times an hour when he is most uncomfortable. My issue is whether or not I stop allowing him to soothe himself with the breast & if I don't how to ease the discomfort I'm having because of it.
Liaklong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
tibeca's Avatar
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,936
My Mood:
Re: My Vampire Baby (:

When babies are teething they tend to produce more saliva. Sometimes this can irritate the nipples. You can try rinsing/wiping with warm water (water only!) and applying lanolin to keep them moist.
__________________
Tibeca, Certified Breastfeeding Specialist

Baby Monkeys on Hyena Cart
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Liaklong's Avatar
Liaklong
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 339
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibeca
When babies are teething they tend to produce more saliva. Sometimes this can irritate the nipples. You can try rinsing/wiping with warm water (water only!) and applying lanolin to keep them moist.
He definitely produces saliva in excess (: Didn't think of that as an irritant though, so thanks. I'll try some lanolin too. I had used it when he was first born, but abandoned it as I didn't love the feel of it-- kinda makes me stick to my nursing top. I can use nursing pads to keep a barrier between my top & breasts though, but it's a bit bulky & I'm finally not leaking milk every time I see or hear a baby so I was kinda happy to be able to remove those from my wardrobe (:
Liaklong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
AnimalHouse's Avatar
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6,426
My Mood:
Re: My Vampire Baby (:

If it's not a latch issue, and he's just doing it for fun, the only real way to stop it is to stop letting him do it. Whenever DS3 playfully bites me, I unlatch him, say "no biting mama", and then let him relatch. He doesn't get inconsolable (because I let him relatch), but he's also learned to associate biting with instantly being unlatched, KWIM?
__________________
Trying-to-stay-sane mama to four boys (5/07, 10/09, 7/11, and 11/12)
AnimalHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Liaklong's Avatar
Liaklong
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 339
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse
If it's not a latch issue, and he's just doing it for fun, the only real way to stop it is to stop letting him do it. Whenever DS3 playfully bites me, I unlatch him, say "no biting mama", and then let him relatch. He doesn't get inconsolable (because I let him relatch), but he's also learned to associate biting with instantly being unlatched, KWIM?
Yep, I've been doing the same. I guess it will just take a bit for him to learn. I just didn't know how long I should keep him off the breast before I let him relatch. Sounds like you pretty much let him relatch after telling him no & unlatching & it works. Great! My doc made it sound like I should keep him off for a while so that he can make the association w/biting & no more booby (: I felt like he was really getting distressed though, hence me getting stressed. Thanks!
Liaklong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Teexie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,933
Re: My Vampire Baby (:

My DD is 15 months and still comfort nurses differently when she is in pain from teething. I think I know what you mean...it's not really a bite but there's some pressure from the teeth, enough that its annoying but not particularly painful? If my DD actually bites, I get serious about taking her off the breast and not nursing again for a bit. But if it's her annoying teething comfort suck, I'll stop nursing her and try to distract with something else, like tickling or whatever. But if she's inconsolable I just let her nurse, which is probably the wrong thing to do, but it keeps me from hearing her cry, which to me is worse than the pain!
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
Liaklong's Avatar
Liaklong
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 339
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie
My DD is 15 months and still comfort nurses differently when she is in pain from teething. I think I know what you mean...it's not really a bite but there's some pressure from the teeth, enough that its annoying but not particularly painful? If my DD actually bites, I get serious about taking her off the breast and not nursing again for a bit. But if it's her annoying teething comfort suck, I'll stop nursing her and try to distract with something else, like tickling or whatever. But if she's inconsolable I just let her nurse, which is probably the wrong thing to do, but it keeps me from hearing her cry, which to me is worse than the pain!
Thanks (: I'm glad you can relate, I feel the same (:
Liaklong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.