Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
cynhilly
Registered Users

Leaking cloth diapers

Hello,

I am using cloth diapers for the first time, and have noticed that no matter what I do when putting on the diapers, or how often I change my daughter, she very frequently leaks and wets her clothes considerably. I'm not talking about explosive poop pr anything here, just regular old pee.

I'm wondering if it's something I'm not doing, or if some diaper brands are better than others, or if cloth diapers just aren't perfect and do leak. I have tried both all in ones and pocket diapers, some home made and some store bought. The brands I have are gdiapers and happy heinys. Are there brands that are less accident prone? Are there things I should be doing differently? Any tips or insight is appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement

cynhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Leaking cloth diapers

Hmm, I personally never had luck with gdiapers but I know they work for some people. How old is she, how much does she weigh and what are you using in the gdiapers? On the pockets, is the insert saturated or is she leaking before it can get wet?

I will say that that many leaks is uncommon. We almost never have leaks and I find cloth to be more reliable than sposies for leaks. I would say for a really dependable system, prefolds or flats and covers can't be beat. I'm wondering if the diapers you have are just not a good fit on her.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had terrible leaks with gdiapers and pockets with microfiber inserts. Once I started stuffing with prefolds and flats I rarely have leaks!!

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

How old is your daughter? If she's very young you may not be getting a good fit with pockets and all-in-ones. For really little babies I get a better fit with prefolds or fitteds covered with a wool or PUL cover.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
AQW
Registered Users
seller

G diapers can be very tricky. The fit has to be perfect or they leak. They also can't be over stuffed or they leak. For us we needed more absorbency or they leaked. Happy heiney's are pretty reliable. I do agree if you are using the one size they may be too big if the baby is little. If the baby is older, you may need a little more absorbency. Have you considered doing a diaper trial? That was really helpful for us to find what works.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I have mf inserts in my fuzzibunz one size & no leaks or blowouts like d'sposies. How tight by legs? Fit? Is insert wet? .how's the pul? Weight of ur little one? Detergent? Wash routine? Double stuff dipes?
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
cynhilly
Registered Users

Wow thanks for all the help guys! She is almost 7 weeks and weighs about 11 pounds. I don't think it's a problem of being too wet, sometimes the diaper is barely wet at all! With the gdiapers I am using thin trifold inserts, and those surprisingly seem to hold up better than the happy heinys.

BUT the plot thickens. I am very uneducated about cloth diapering, a friend gave me the diapers her daughter has outgrown and told me how she uses them, and I did almost no research on my own, thinking I was all set. Then I went and bought the happy heinys used to add to the stash but didn't strip them, so perhaps they just have lots of buildup and that is why they are leaking?

ALSO, I read on line that Burt's bees diaper ointment is safe for cloth diapers and have used it on her on and off when she gets a bit red (didn't keep track of what diapers she was wearing when I applied it so I have no clue which diapers were affected) and have since read conflicting posts saying it has made people's diapers repel, so again, maybe if I strip ALL the diapers my problems will be solved. I really like the hh diapers, so I hope stripping works! Anyone have any tips on the best and easiest way to strip them, or is there really only one way? (again very uneducated, sorry!) I have a load of dirty diapers to wash tomorrow, can I strip them when dirty or do they need to already be clean?
cynhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well for her size it could very well be that they just don't fit yet. With the Happy Heinys it could also be repelling if the insert is not wet. To strip I would run a few hot rinses or full hot wash with nothing to get any residue out.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Most one size dont start fitting until 8-12 lbs. she will grow into them soon! You can always check for repelling by squirting some water onto the inserts to see if they are soaking it up or not.

......you should see what my posts look like BEFORE auto correct.
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
erv0207
Registered Users
seller

I also got a lot of leaks with the G-diapers. I use fuzzibunz now and love them.
erv0207 is offline   Reply With Quote