Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #31
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Swingsets

We also have a metal Lifetime one, because we knew we wouldn't keep up with the maintenance of a similarly-priced wooden one. The expensive wooden ones (several thousand dollars) say they don't need maintenance, but we didn't want to spend that much. The Lifetime one (we have this one, although paid less for it) is absolutely maintenance-free, and we love it. The kids (6 and 4) play on it all the time. We felt like we got a lot more for our money compared to a wooden one.

Advertisement

jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #32
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

We've had one for 2 years now, and it has been SO nice to have! When we got it, our kids were 18 months, 4, and 6. They use it every day (unless it's too rainy)!. We got a cheap one (it was that or nothing), and I can tell we got what we paid for. It's starting to go downhill already. I know the expensive ones are worth it, if you can afford them!

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #33
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it will get used a lot, mostly in great weather. The hardest part of the whole project for us was the foundation/perimeter. We have a little slope to our backyard so DH and I had to dig. He roughed it out and I did the leveling with a spade and a level where the tower goes. We built the set and had a pro finish the digging (we needed a step down built on one side) with a wood border and 6 inches of playground mulch. That cost more than the swing set did!

I hope you have a nice level yard! Some others in the neighborhood didn't bother with the foundation and theirs have an obvious lean.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #34
aries416
Registered Users
seller

We just got one. I chose the Gorilla outing 3 because it was in my price range and got good reviews. It was not too hard to assemble and so far my kids love it. I really wanted them to have a nice swing set because they love parks
Old 07-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #35
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking8186 View Post
I've been looking into buying something similar for my 3yo dd as she REALLY needs the climbing for her low muscle tone and hypermobility. I had looked into a cheaper metal swingset but she LOVES to climb so I'm not sure that would work out. You're swingset is AMAZING!!! Pretty much my dream swingset!

Heather- Would you mind me asking how much that cost at Costco?
Thanks! My husband and I had admired this set for a couple of years before taking the plunge. We paid $1000 for it at Costco. We built the area around it with the mulch and retaining wall and leveled it as there was a slight slant. (We made the kids help us move the mulch from the driveway to the site with buckets and such. Every little bit helps! ) And we put the set together ourselves. It took a few days, but it really wasn't hard. Personally, I think we got a great set for a really great price. I love that the roof is wooden instead of canvas. It is a very solid set with no give or sway at all. It still looks brand new a little over a year later. I was expecting the color to start to change, but it hasn't. My 2 year olds climb the climbing wall and latter on the other side. (So do my 4 year olds and 6 year old.) It makes me nervous but my 6 year old climbs ALL over the set, inside and outside. It came with rings between a bar as the center swing, but we changed it to the toddler swing for our younger kids. I think I may put the rings and bar on one of the other swings though because I think my 6 year old would really love it. I think I have a pic of the other side too....yeah, here is the other side with the climbing wall.

Good luck getting what you want!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 07-24-2012 at 11:48 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #36
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had lost this thread I'm glad I found it again!! Heather- that is an amazinggggg deal!!! I will have to check that out... It's definitely worth the money IMO
Old 08-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #37
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Thanks! My husband and I had admired this set for a couple of years before taking the plunge. We paid $1000 for it at Costco. We built the area around it with the mulch and retaining wall and leveled it as there was a slight slant. (We made the kids help us move the mulch from the driveway to the site with buckets and such. Every little bit helps! ) And we put the set together ourselves. It took a few days, but it really wasn't hard. Personally, I think we got a great set for a really great price. I love that the roof is wooden instead of canvas. It is a very solid set with no give or sway at all. It still looks brand new a little over a year later. I was expecting the color to start to change, but it hasn't. My 2 year olds climb the climbing wall and latter on the other side. (So do my 4 year olds and 6 year old.) It makes me nervous but my 6 year old climbs ALL over the set, inside and outside. It came with rings between a bar as the center swing, but we changed it to the toddler swing for our younger kids. I think I may put the rings and bar on one of the other swings though because I think my 6 year old would really love it. I think I have a pic of the other side too....yeah, here is the other side with the climbing wall.

Good luck getting what you want!
That set is gorgeous it looks way more expensive than a grand!

When we lived w/my dad we got my ds a small wooden set, but he was an only child and really he goes to the park to play w/other kids more than anything. And in that neighborhood the kids didnt really play together enough. He doesnt really play well on his own, he needs constant interaction.

Now we are renting so it's not really an option anyway.

I think when we finally buy a house we may buy a set for ds and dd, even though they arent close in age. DD *loves* to climb now so it would be great to have anything w/small climbing walls and slides.
It's so hot right now that ds doesnt even like playing at the park as much.

There's a cute park about 1.5miles away but it's so hot during the day I cant bare to take her. I am waiting for the fall.

I think since you have several kids and some closer in age it's worth it.

Make sure you take pics of what you get!

Last edited by wonton; 08-04-2012 at 07:15 PM.
wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #38
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
We had a super awesome swing set/jungle gym in NC. It was wooden & my kids loved it. Unfortunately our yard had mosquitos day & night most of the year no matter what we did. We rarely used it. We recently moved & are now pretty broke so I sold most of my gold jewelry (I didn't have much) to buy them a small metal swing set. They use it more often than they ever used the wooden one. I'm so glad.

Jodie ~ wife & mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote