Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #41
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Re: Please share your 1 all time hands down favorite thriftyish meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalt View Post
Do you make your own dough? If so, could you share your recipe?
you didnt ask me but this has turned out to be my favorite overall dough recipe. I do use half whole wheat and I also use it for stromboli, the breadsticks listed below the dough recipe and pizza. We like more of a hand tossed thickness crust so it really only makes 1 pizza for us not 2 like the recipe says.
http://www.laurenslatest.com/fail-pr...n-restaurants/

For stromboli I use one dough recipe
one can tomato paste seasoned with italian seasoning, pinch sugar, garlic poweder and a tbsp parm(you can also sub pesto thats really good)
mozz cheese
any combo of pepperoni, thin sliced ham, salami, olives, mushrooms, fresh pineapple with all the moisture smooshed out of it(it gets too soggy if you dont)
make your long rectangle like you would for cinnamon rolls, spread tomato paste, spread meats, cheeses and toppings then trifold and mash it out flat so its more sandwich like about 4" wide. I bake 450 for 10 min-15 min
this was my inspiration http://burnmenot.blogspot.com/2011/02/stromboli.html

Advertisement

Last edited by ittybittycoconuts; 08-05-2012 at 09:48 PM.
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #42
snugglesnsunshine
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinmomma24
seller

My Mood:
Ground beef or ground turkey
Can of cream of mushroom soup
Bread

Brown meat. Drain off the grease. Put back over heat and add can if soup. Spoon over bread (soft or toasted). I daite an onion with the meat sometimes too.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #43
tweety612
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tacos. But I'm loving all the ideas in this thread!

Sent from my DROID4 using DS Forum
Old 08-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #44
Aalt
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkicaligirl View Post
you didnt ask me but this has turned out to be my favorite overall dough recipe. I do use half whole wheat and I also use it for stromboli, the breadsticks listed below the dough recipe and pizza. We like more of a hand tossed thickness crust so it really only makes 1 pizza for us not 2 like the recipe says.
http://www.laurenslatest.com/fail-pr...n-restaurants/

For stromboli I use one dough recipe
one can tomato paste seasoned with italian seasoning, pinch sugar, garlic poweder and a tbsp parm(you can also sub pesto thats really good)
mozz cheese
any combo of pepperoni, thin sliced ham, salami, olives, mushrooms, fresh pineapple with all the moisture smooshed out of it(it gets too soggy if you dont)
make your long rectangle like you would for cinnamon rolls, spread tomato paste, spread meats, cheeses and toppings then trifold and mash it out flat so its more sandwich like about 4" wide. I bake 450 for 10 min-15 min
this was my inspiration http://burnmenot.blogspot.com/2011/02/stromboli.html
Thank you!! These look amazing. I would love Stromboli with pesto. Now I just need to get myself a stand mixer...
Aalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #45
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Beef Taco Skillet

1lbs ground beef (can sub ground turkey, we actually like to use shredded chicken, and I don't actually put that much meat in, I put in half)
1 can tomato soup
1 cup salsa
1 cup water
5-6 big tortillas, or 8-9 smaller tortillas
Optional shredded cheese

Cook meat. While it is cooking, rip tortillas into approximately 1 inch pieces and set aside.

When meat is cooked, add tomato soup, salsa, and water. Bring to a boil. Add tortillas, then let simmer for 7-8 minutes.

Once you take off heat, add cheese if you choose to add, let melt, and serve.

We usually eat it with a veggie on the side, we've experimented with adding in corn, but I am not a fan. The kids love it both ways, even my child that eats nothing.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #46
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensesforeyes View Post
Beef Taco Skillet

1lbs ground beef (can sub ground turkey, we actually like to use shredded chicken, and I don't actually put that much meat in, I put in half)
1 can tomato soup
1 cup salsa
1 cup water
5-6 big tortillas, or 8-9 smaller tortillas
Optional shredded cheese

Cook meat. While it is cooking, rip tortillas into approximately 1 inch pieces and set aside.

When meat is cooked, add tomato soup, salsa, and water. Bring to a boil. Add tortillas, then let simmer for 7-8 minutes.

Once you take off heat, add cheese if you choose to add, let melt, and serve.

We usually eat it with a veggie on the side, we've experimented with adding in corn, but I am not a fan. The kids love it both ways, even my child that eats nothing.
SOunds amazing!
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #47
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988

SOunds amazing!
It is! We just redid our meals because we got sick of everything, but we kept this one. I actually triple it and we all have it for lunch the next day. It is also my go to meal when we have company, everybody has always loved it.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #48
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bean and corn salad. So simple, so tasty!

Lentil tacos are great and cheap. And lentil soup. And lentils in spaghetti. And curried lentils. And honey baked lentils. Really, anything with lentils are cheap, filling, and yummy!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #49
smores
Registered Users

Grilled pizza. YUM!! I use the recipe from Simply Recipes and usually wait for a week that I have good pizza topping leftovers - chicken, feta, spinach, bacon, shallots, etc.

i blog here
smores is offline   Reply With Quote