Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #11
Registered Users
Re: children's fashion

Brand awareness in 1st grade?! Yikes!

My son just started 1st grade last week. From what I have seen they barely acknowledge what another kids is wearing unless their shoes light up or they have a favorite superhero shirt on our something. My son wear dress shorts and polos everyday. (in Hawaii) He was very well liked in Kindergarten. (friends with everyone) I have recognized some of the dresses the girls wear from ones I have seen at Target.

My 4 yr old son is in Kindy and wears polos & shorts also, so far so good. My daughter is only 3 but when she is in school she will be wearing polos and dress shorts/skirts/pants with a few dresses mixed in.

We mostly buy our children's clothing at the Gap during sales & on clearance. We don't buy anything trendy, we just try to keep it classic. They have separate play clothes because we want to set a tone that school is important. We save the character tees for evenings and weekends when we are playing outside.

Wife to An Airman Mama to Nicholas Benjamin (9) Jack Ryan (7) Brooke Isabella (6) our Great Dane, Matilda and St. Bernard, Lucy
AfWife8405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
Registered Users
Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Op, I think for a first grader the leggings or tights with tunic dresses are adorable, not too grown up and not babyish while still fashionable. Also, tcp has cute girls jeans and paired with a simple tee that is is always fine. Of course you can liven anything up with a cute hairstyle and bow. Hanna is as awesome as it seems. I buy our stuff on eBay and haven't had issues. If she's rough on her knees though (as first graders can be) I'd prob not spend on it.
Hi, I'm Brittney
Wife to one amazing man.
Mom to FOUR amazing blessings.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:
This thread makes me fall in love with my kids Catholic school uniforms all over again.

However, on non uniform days it's tees and jeans for my dd. total tomboy. Converse are big here too.
WAHM for tutoring company and wife to my Hubby. Full time mom to Gabby (9/04) and Anthony (1/08)
mjg2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: children's fashion

The Childrens Place seems to be where most of the girls dd's age buy their stuff. I'm a Gymboree mom myself. It's a lot of leggings, tops, jeans etc. on most of the other girls. DD is one of the only ones who wears dresses/skirts consistently. I used to do her hair daily and the kids were giving her a hard time about how she always has to look the nicest. She's going into second grade. It blows my mind that at this age they give each other a hard time about clothes. The two girls who bug dd the most are the two that are always wearing stuff that's too small and the completely wrong season.
Kirsten ~ Mom to 8yr old Emily and 6yr oldJ.T.
EmsMom is offline   Reply With Quote