Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
mamashhon
Registered Users
Formerly: m2bs11n5
seller

And it drives me CRAZY!!!! Help me before i lose my mind.

Some background:

DS is from my previous marriage, however has lived with DH and i since he was 14 months. His dad and i split after his birth. He visits his dad during the summer, he lives out of state. He has been speaking full sentences since he was 1. He's so smart and speaks clearly when he chooses to. However, when he was 4, we enrolled him in pre school. A few months in i noticed he would talk like a baby. I immediately pulled his teacher aside (we were and are still very close) and asked wth was up with this. She said he never did it in class and once she over heard him doing it when we picked him up and called him out on it.

Well, now he's six, and although we correct him every.flipping.time he does it, it won't stop. I'm so over it it's not even funny. He just got back from his dads after being there all summer and it's worse than ever. A few times i was talking to him on the phone and actually told him "I'm sorry but i can't understand you because you're talking like a baby, so I'm going to let you go!" And hung up.

Today i sat him down and told him...listen, you're almost SEVEN. You've been doing this for almost three years!! Your brother who is four speaks more clearly than you do. I'm refusing to answer you when you talk like this. If it does not stop before first grade starts, I'm enrolling you in an after school speech program. You're also not playing video games anymore because babies don't play video games.

I swear he answered "aw well dats not fawwwr mommy you awe a meanie"

Ohhhmyygoood help me, lol.

I'm so tired of hearing it's just a phase. He gets tons of attention. He has extra curricular activities. We're involved, between both families he is split between, he's loved beyond belief. His dad and i communicate and are on the same page with things. He was ready to send him home early over it. I don't get it. Help me!! I'm so frustrated over this! We do not and have not ever baby talked to our children. WHYYY is he doing this and how do i stop it!!??

Advertisement

Last edited by mamashhon; 08-05-2012 at 08:00 PM.
mamashhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Mama. My 4 yo still does it for attention. He is jealous of the 8 mo. I hope your DS stops it soon. It is soooo annoying.

Jodie ~ wife & mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
megenic
Registered Users
seller

My 4 year old does this sometimes. I have no idea why, but I calmly say that if she is talking like a baby then she must BE a baby, so She doesnt get to do big girl things like go to the park or eat ice cream. Then I'll say to the 2 year old, looks like your sister doesn't get to go to the park because she's just a baby. That is usually the end of it.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I know it's completely normal for a 4yo as that's right around when (3-4) they learn they have so much control over their voice.

But I think something else be up with a kid who continues it to 7.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: My six year old talks like a baby...

I would definitely stop responding to him when he speaks that way. Mid-conversation if necessary. If he can speak correctly at school consistently, I'd require it at home.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
mamashhon
Registered Users
Formerly: m2bs11n5
seller

I thought for a while that he was seeking attention because my 4yo has ASD, so i assumed he was acting out over his inability to speak. I discussed this with DH and we tweaked our parenting style and incorporated him into more, and also really strive to keep attention equal despite him having a special needs sibling.

When asked why he does it, he tells me now that he doesn't realize it anymore and forgets. I've always corrected it but just recently gotten stern with it to the point that i ignore him or tell him he can't talk to me unless he speaks normally. I'm fed up. I feel bad and he's getting upset with me...but it's for his own good. I'm so afraid he's setting himself up to be teased like crazy. It really grates on my nerves as well.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My six year old talks like a baby...

I think a LOT of kids go through this phase. I know I have had to correct it with all but one of my children. I do not have conversations with babies. I immediately cut them off and tell them to come back to speak with me when they can talk to me like whatever age they are. It works. If he goes to another parents home and is allowed to talk like that it will become habit. Best way to break it is for all parents to deal with it the same way - do not acknowledge words spoken like a baby.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would just say "i can't understand baby words from a big kid" and nothing else until he speaks right. good luck.

Sent from my droid using DS Forum