View Poll Results: Wine during pregnancy?
Avoid all types of alcohol/liquor/wine/beer during pregnancy. 38 43.18%
Drink a glass or Less of wine a day during preg. 3 3.41%
Drink a glass or More of wine a day during preg. 0 0%
Drink a glass or Less of wine every once in awhile during preg. 43 48.86%
Drink a glass or More of wine every once in awhile during preg. 1 1.14%
Prefer other alcoholic drink during pregnancy. 1 1.14%
Other. 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #31
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wine during pregnancy?

I gererally avoid it in the first trimester, have it occasionally during the second, and now I'm totally fine with a beer every couple of days in the third trimester. I have an irritable uterus, which means I get hours of back to back semi-painful BHs almost every evening, and nothing stops them like a beer does. Red wine has tannins and can be irritating to the uterus so I avoid those. Both midwives I've had have said that a beer or glass of wine a day in the latter part of pregnancy is absolutely okay.

Advertisement

Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #32
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I would drink mixed but no $ to just drink a little of those (usually bigger). I don't like wine or beer so I just don't in preg
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #33
JulieBeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No alcohol at all during pregnancy for me, it just feels weird. I crave beer and my favorite blackberry wine though

Always in our hearts- 8/30/11, 11 weeks 4 days & 12/16/11, 5 weeks.
JulieBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #34
rohirette
Registered Users
seller

Occasional wine or beer - no more than 1 unit (4-5 oz of wine or 1 12oz beer = a unit.)

There is no evidence that infrequent to moderate consumption during pregnancy has any negative affects. There was even a German study a while back that showed a positive correlation between moderate wine drinking and the child's IQ. I have no idea of the quality of the study, the controls or confounders, but it is something to be aware of.

Public health officials essentially have to make an across the board recommendation to abstain. They can't use subjective terms like "infrequent" or "moderate" because people will interpret that how they want to interpret it, and overall lifestyles vary.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #35
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette
Occasional wine or beer - no more than 1 unit (4-5 oz of wine or 1 12oz beer = a unit.)

There is no evidence that infrequent to moderate consumption during pregnancy has any negative affects. There was even a German study a while back that showed a positive correlation between moderate wine drinking and the child's IQ. I have no idea of the quality of the study, the controls or confounders, but it is something to be aware of.

Public health officials essentially have to make an across the board recommendation to abstain. They can't use subjective terms like "infrequent" or "moderate" because people will interpret that how they want to interpret it, and overall lifestyles vary.
I agree. My friends often say they are light drinkers... When in reality, if you actually use the guidelines they are HEAVY drinkers. To give any leeway would be giving people an inch and we know what happens then.....
Old 08-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #36
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

None during pregnancy, occasionally while breastfeeding.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #37
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinandashlynsmommy
I avoid all alcohol during pregnancy. I just don't feel its worth the possible risks and its easier to just abstain.
This is me too. My dd is 6 months and just recently I'll occasional drink a sip of my husbands drink... Maybe three times in the last month. I'm not a big drinker, but when you CAN'T have something it makes you miss it so much! I have friends who drink while nursing with their doctor's blessing (even recommendation). It's just outside my comfort zone.
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #38
ambie719
Registered Users
seller
seller

None for me. I don't like beer or wine and I guess when it comes to booze I'm of the 'better safe than sorry' mentality, though I do not judge those who do have the odd drink, its just not for me, I'm too paranoid lol. I will have a drink here or there while BFing if I know I've got a solid couple hours before baby will nurse.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #39
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had some occasionally during the third trimester. I'd sip on 4oz or less over a span of a couple hours.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #40
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had a little bit at a wine tasting at our neighbors house when we lived in Germany. It was the third trimester and it was a tasting. I had less than half a glass total.

With my other 2 boys, I didn't drink at all during pregnancy. I'm not a drinker though.

Jodie ~ wife & mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote