Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

how do I stop the hitting!!???

my almost 2 yo had started hitting, bitting, pulling hair. its to the point that her sisters( 5&3) are scared to play with her at times. I have no idea what to do. right now she is put in time out, then has to apologize. but she laughs and them is excited to say sorry. I just don't think she gets it. I try to show her" look that hurts you made her cry, etc." any ideas??
and please dont tell me to hit, bite, back. not gonna happen

Sent from my droid using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how do I stop the hitting!!???

My youngest of 3 is naturally physically assertive. A few things that tend to help him curb his behavior is for me to pick him up (or for me to get down on his level, but picking him up has a bigger effect on him), hold him out in front of me, put him nose to nose with me (yes, touching), look him right in the eye, and tell him, "No hitting. We do not hit. Do you understand?" I am not sure why, but this physically painless process gets him to give me his full attention and he takes me seriously.

Also, I have had to separate him from his siblings. He has to go play in his room while the others get to play in the playroom. How long really depends on how often I've had to do it recently. Sometimes a short 15 minute reminder is all he needs. Other times he's had to go all morning or all afternoon in isolation. And sometimes, I think he needs some time to himself.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Rather than focus on the the hitter, other than a very stern no, really comfort the victim--like really cuddle her and tell her how sorry you are that she got hurt. Making the 2 year old say she is sorry is really pointless.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

my dd is a hitter and thrower too. She mainly does it to my 6 y/o (who's tiny, and my 2 y/o is big, so they are practically the same size), and she HATES time out, so that helps. It's only 2 minutes, but she really hates it, and she has to say sorry at the end. I also try to figure out what's going on so I can try to figure out WHY she hit (such as her sister not sharing) and try to remedy the situation. Then I try to give her another "tool" such as "if Tes is not sharing, do not hit her. You can say Please and Tes will share with you". She knows please, understands me, just gets frustrated fast, so good to remind, and good to remind the older ones to share