Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #81
an_aurora
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B
I think one US early on is okay. They did one at our office and everything looked great. Friend didn't have an early US and had her 20 week one and found out she is having twins! Omg it is 2012 and she just found out half way through her pregnancy that she is having one boy and one girl geez. Very cool but very crazy
Cool but... It's really important to diagnose twins early. TTTS is no joke and it's not unnecessary worry... It's about the health of yourself and your fetus(es).

Advertisement

an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #82
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora

Cool but... It's really important to diagnose twins early. TTTS is no joke and it's not unnecessary worry... It's about the health of yourself and your fetus(es).
I agree. And rule out ectopic. Its all what mom was comfortable with. Yes my early ultrasounds left me in a panic when they weren't conclusive.. But, I was already panicking. After a loss, you tend to do that..
Old 08-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #83
dannic
Registered Users

Re: Why do so many drs do early us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
And yet, even twins slip through the radar...my mw delivered missed twins that weren't picked up on either of her two us--early or late...they were sort of picggy backed.
And last month, my friend had a surprise girl in spite of 4 3d u/s during preg.

Only slightly more than half of babies with Down syndrome are picked up prior to birth.

As I unerstand it, there hasn't been conclusive research that u/s are or aren't 100% safe. Who is going to quinea pig preggo women, right? Granted, the last time I really researched this was a few years ago, but still.

I personally do think the u/s are over used in NORMAL, LOW RISK pregnancies. I have had one with some, and none with others.
dannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #84
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm glad I had my first ultrasound at 6W xD to find out I was having twins! I can't imagine if I hadn't found out until my 19ish week anatomy scan!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #85
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
We found our twins at 16 weeks. It led to many more unnecessary U/S's and changed my view of U/S in general. The amounts of U/S's I had led to more questions than answers and did nothing to improve our outcomes. I have minimized or had no U/S's with my subsequent pregnancies.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #86
an_aurora
Registered Users

It's "unnecessary" to you only because you didn't have TTTS. You can always opt out of them.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #87
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
It's "unnecessary" to you only because you didn't have TTTS. You can always opt out of them.
I never stated that. Actually my twins were discordant and were suspected to have TTT. They were over a pound difference at 31 weeks. I was hospitalized and started having contractions because of the stress. By 35 weeks they were born at 3lbs 14oz and 5lbs 5oz. I feel that the amount of U/S's and stress they caused me were not benificial to my babies, my pregnancy or me. It is the reason that I chose to have little or no U/S's in future pregnancies.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #88
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch

I never stated that. Actually my twins were discordant and were suspected to have TTT. They were over a pound difference at 31 weeks. I was hospitalized and started having contractions because of the stress. By 35 weeks they were born at 3lbs 14oz and 5lbs 5oz. I feel that the amount of U/S's and stress they caused me were not benificial to my babies, my pregnancy or me. It is the reason that I chose to have little or no U/S's in future pregnancies.
I think your my hero when it comes to most things, this though
I think, IMO, if I've had as many sweet babies as you, with having twins once with TTT, i'd want at least one U/S maybe around 20 weeks.
Maybe could cause stress, then, but if something happened to my baby and I could've prevented it by knowing, i'd surely hate myself.

Now my birth mom had Spina Bifida, I get a high risk 4D sonogram around 17-20 weeks to clear the baby of this. I would be so mad at myself if I didn't and my baby was born and no one knew he'd/she'd need NICU/surgery.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #89
an_aurora
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921

I think your my hero when it comes to most things, this though
I think, IMO, if I've had as many sweet babies as you, with having twins once with TTT, i'd want at least one U/S maybe around 20 weeks.
Maybe could cause stress, then, but if something happened to my baby and I could've prevented it by knowing, i'd surely hate myself.

Now my birth mom had Spina Bifida, I get a high risk 4D sonogram around 17-20 weeks to clear the baby of this. I would be so mad at myself if I didn't and my baby was born and no one knew he'd/she'd need NICU/surgery.
ITA. I would be thanking my lucky stars the kids made it out alive, not deciding to not have any care for future pregnancies.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #90
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone
I agree with you OP for a normal, low risk pregnancy (and previous low risk) their is no reason for the doctors to be so U/S happy.

And here in my state it's just an easy excuse to find issues (real or imagined). A coworker of mine had an U/S that showed at 38 weeks her baby was estimating 10 lbs. She was induced at 39 weeks and ended up with a C/S for a 6 lb. baby. And that's not uncommon, I know of several other people induced early at 39 weeks because of what the U/S supposedly shows. I am definitely not interested in that kind of monitoring and if I can cut it off at the pass by not agreeing to frequent U/S than I'll do that.

I used an app called period tracker and I have a pretty good idea within 2 days when I ovulated and my U/S backs up my story. I've had a perfectly healthy, normal pregnancy their is no reason for me to get extras and luckily my practitioner feels the same way.

ETA: The OP has repeatedly said that she was only speaking for people that have normal, low risk, healthy pregnancies but other posters keep scolding her because they have multiple risk factors and need frequent U/S and accusing her of being insensitive. It's obvious she isn't speaking for the mama's with multiple losses, ectopics etc. etc. so why get upset at her?
Thank you! Geez people!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote