Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
3MonkeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pregnant with twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post
3 monkeys- how do you know that your di-di identicals are identical? Appearance? Mine are di-di and if they are the same sex (we dont know for 3 weeks) I wonder if we will be able to tell if they are identical or fraternal.
We had the DNA test done when they were 6 months old. Mainly b/c they looked so similar but also NOTHING like our ODS...we thought that was weird. At birth we didn't really think they looked much alike, one had a round face with squishy cheeks and one had a very oval shaped face with squishy jowls (the bottom part of his cheeks? Is that the right word? LOL!). We noticed as they got bigger they seemed to look more alike and we had to really look to figure out who was who if they weren't together or were fresh out of the bath. My fraternal twins would be OBVIOUSLY fraternal if they were the same gender...they don't even look related! LOL!

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
Adaline'sMama
Registered Users

About that (not being able to tell them apart)- What did you do when they were babies to keep them from getting mixed up? It seems like a weird question, but did you put an X on one of their hands or something? Im terrified that Ill confuse them!
Adaline'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
Sarah7464
Registered Users
seller

I'm having that same fear, especially because we know we are expecting with identical's. Someone said they used nail polish on their toenail until they were old enough to put their foot in their mouth. I'm thinking maybe different colored teething necklaces.
Sarah7464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
3MonkeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We did blue toenail polish on one baby's toe until it wore off...my DH's coworker suggested it...I think it is a pretty popular idea!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
Adaline'sMama
Registered Users

Good idea!
In the hospital, I suppose the tag them immediately? At my hospital they didnt tag dd or ds for like an hour after birth. It seems like they could get so mixed up that way if they were close in weight. I want to always know who baby a and baby b are
Adaline'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah7464 View Post
I'm having that same fear, especially because we know we are expecting with identical's. Someone said they used nail polish on their toenail until they were old enough to put their foot in their mouth. I'm thinking maybe different colored teething necklaces.
That's what we did One girl had all amber colored and the other was honey and butter colored. I could tell them apart from day one but grandma, the hubby and our nanny had a harder time so the necklace helped all of them.

As far as advice goes the best advice I have ever received has been straight from other twin mothers. Books never really helped me much, most of them talked about a "schedule" which I never did. We just lived life to the beat of the girls drum and it worked out just fine. If you decide to go the same route I can tell you that it still results in well adjusted toddlers

I do not know about the area you live but my town has a MOM group (mothers of multiples). We have a playgroup date once a month and a mommy day out once a month. We are all friends on Facebook. It REALLY helps you to feel "normal".
Old 08-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #17
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Good idea!
In the hospital, I suppose the tag them immediately? At my hospital they didnt tag dd or ds for like an hour after birth. It seems like they could get so mixed up that way if they were close in weight. I want to always know who baby a and baby b are
Hospital bands help, they always label "Twin A" and "Twin B" then once we had names we had them add their first names to the band. With twins they always label the hospital beds too but I requested that they be placed in the same bed.

Last edited by twinpossible; 08-08-2012 at 04:51 PM.
twinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
O&AsMomma
Registered Users

Quote:
3 monkeys- how do you know that your di-di identicals are identical? Appearance? Mine are di-di and if they are the same sex (we dont know for 3 weeks) I wonder if we will be able to tell if they are identical or fraternal.
I'm new here as well. I have 9 wk old frat girls who were di/di. After they were born it was obvious just looking at them that they were fraternal but we also "lucked out" because their blood types are different. Obviously, ID twins would have the same blood type. Saved us from wondering and doing the DNA test. Good luck with your pregnancy! I already miss being pregnant.
O&AsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote