Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Vasectomy (permanent?)

My daughter is 6 months tomorrow, I also have a three year old son. I had always talked about having 5-6 kids but now I feel really happy with just these two. We got married young and waited 6 yrs to have our first so it was easy to say "oh I want 6" but now I just would rather focus on the two I have and not be completely broke the rest of our lives. I am considering asking my husband to get a vasectomy, but what if ten yrs from now I decide I just want one more? How permanent is a vasectomy, once it's done is it done forever?

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
thekuan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's safe to assume it's permanent, since there is a chance that a reversal may not take. One of my friends sadly found that out the hard way, and now they are having to do in vitro with stored sperm.

You could try an iud?
thekuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vasectomy (permanent?)

I really don't like the side effects of IUD, it seems like people gain a lot of weight from them, I also had a friend who had a lot of hormonal problems and ended up having to have it removed.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuan View Post
It's safe to assume it's permanent, since there is a chance that a reversal may not take. One of my friends sadly found that out the hard way, and now they are having to do in vitro with stored sperm.

You could try an iud?
I agree. Paragard(copper) is good for 10 years, Mirena(hormonal) is good for 5.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
thekuan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, Paragard is what my mw recommends because there are no hormones.
thekuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

I'll just tell you a little about my story. After having my 2nd child, I was 100% DONE having kids. I gave away my maternity clothes, etc. I couldn't ever see changing my mind. Well... when my youngest was 18 months old, we decided to TTC #3! I couldn't believe I changed my mind, but I did. She's 3 1/2 now, and I am so glad she's part of our family!!

What I told myself then was that I wouldn't make any permanent decisions until my youngest child was at least 2. Even still, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on permanent bc.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Kap7270
Registered Users

My understanding is that vasectomies should be considered permanent. If you decide to try reversing it, then a reversal is more effective if the original procedure was just a few years prior. If you try reversing it ten years later, more scar tissue will have formed making the reversal less likely to be successful.
Kap7270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Don't get a tubal or a vasectomy unless there is absolutely no circumstance that will leave you wanting more children.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was done after 2 children as well and you can see by my un that we changed our minds!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Trynitey
Registered Users
seller

Nope, not done forever but it's a very painful process to get done and get undone. DH had a vasectomy and a vas reversal and he said that the reversal was hell. We are now pregnant after 4 months after the vas reversal, but he didn't even have his vasectomy for 3yrs. Once 5yrs goes by, the chances of getting pregnant go down. The longer the vas is in place the longer it can take to get pregnant or the less likely it is that the vas reversal will work.

If you think there is ANY chance at all that you will have more, I highly recommend NOT having him do a reversal. Go after an IUD or something that is a little less permanent.
Trynitey is offline   Reply With Quote