Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
krisnat
Registered Users
seller

I don't want baby's first food to be cereal, suggestions please :)

With baby #1 I followed the suggestions from WIC and the pediatrician to a T. When she turned 4 months I began feeding her cereal, followed by jarred baby food. With baby #2 I do not want to start him on cereal, and I am hoping to make my own baby food. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated

Advertisement

krisnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
cmamalis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't want baby's first food to be cereal, suggestions please :)

I have only ever made my own with both kids. With DS we did cereal first. With DD (7mos old now) we started solids at 6 mos and skipped cereal. Here is the order we have done so far:
Green Beans
Peas
Sweet Potato
Acorn Squash
Avocado
Pears
Banana
Zucchini
Peaches
Old 08-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

banana, mush each bite while still in peel, eat remaining unsmushed banana when babe looks done
Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

You could go the BLW route. MUCH easier. I made food for my first 2 (didn't know about BLW) and we did/are doing BLW with our newest. She started with avocados, just get nice ripe avocados and slice them and let baby go to town. We started at 8 1/2 months but you can start at 6 if you want. I saw no need to rush food at all this time around.
This was her very first time having solids

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
cmamalis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
You could go the BLW route. MUCH easier. I made food for my first 2 (didn't know about BLW) and we did/are doing BLW with our newest. She started with avocados, just get nice ripe avocados and slice them and let baby go to town. We started at 8 1/2 months but you can start at 6 if you want. I saw no need to rush food at all this time around.

Glad to hear BLW is working for you. I had hoped to use that method this time around but it didn't work out for us. DD was ready before 6 months for solids but I didn't want to start that soon. So just after 6 months we did but she did not understand BLW at all and it just frustrated her. She LOVES her homemade purees though. Whenever I have fresh bananas and avocado in the house I still try giving her some in long, thin pieces but she gets mad and tries to grab her spoon. I think it definitely is better for babes who are a little older
Old 08-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
mommieofpees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post

Adorable
Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I started with avocado mixed with breastmilk. (We started at 6 months) Then went on to other mushy foods. I delayed bananas and anything that is "sweet" until around 8mo. I introduced 1 food per week and had some funny disasters. By the way, steaming and pureeing okra is probably the nastiest thing I've ever seen - it looks like green stinky marshmallow cream. Bless the baby, she actually at 2 bites!

When it came time to introduce cereals, I made my own from whole grains. Again, really easy! Just cook up oatmeal/quinoa/etc. and put in a blender with either water or breastmilk and whizzzzzzzzzzz. Storing is easy too. The easiest way at the beginning is to use ice trays. I then moved to disposable tupperware (but keep reusing, lol). And being balanced is easy too - one green, one yellow/red/orange, one grain - balanced meal!

If only it were that easy at 2 years!
Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We never did baby cereal (or those puff things). We did BLW but you could just as easily start with smooth veg or fruits.
DD has a horrible time with teething so she really loved the end of a banana, frozen - the last few inches of a banana, still in the peel but the peel cut back 1-2 inches (so they're not eating peel). Stick the whole thing in the freezer. Gawd she would go to town on those.
When she was a little bit older, we just went straight to "real" oatmeal - I just make myself a bowl and make sure that it's pretty thoroughly cooked as I am impatient and known to eat half-cooked oatmeal, lol. Now we share a bowl of oatmeal fairly frequently.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I didn't do store bought cereals. I used oat flour to make my own cereal. I made my own purees. Avocado, sweet potato, peaches, bananas are all great first foods. Check out http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
First thing I gave DD was avocado.