Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Djrose
Registered Users
Formerly: Xains Mommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Another Chicken Pox Vax question

We are typical Vaxing family. Please dont turn this into a debate. I just have a question about how to proceed with the CP vaccine.

I was actually ignorantly unaware of the CP vaccine. Then I thought It was an optional vaccine which is why I started looking into it. Well I have decided that this is one vaccine I do NOT want my child getting. Turns out DS has gotten it already. So my question is should I just opt out of getting the second one and pray he gets it naturally? I would hate for him to catch it as a teen or adult though. I have also just had my second child which I have already informed her ped that we wont be getting that vaccine for her. So there is a chance she could catch it (next yr sometime) and he will catch it from her being in such close contact.. What are yalls thoughts on this?

Advertisement

Djrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another Chicken Pox Vax question

We are a vaxing family and this was one I debated but after talking with a bunch of IRL mom friends in my area I know no one that didn't vax for it. If I could gaurentee he would get CP naturally in the next few years then I wouldn't do it but after looking into more I couldn't. Since I do not want him to get it later in life to we went ahead and vaxed for CP.

Not sure if that helps you or not.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, the CP vax is not a lifelong vaccine. He will need to get boosters through adulthood for it to work to the efficiency that the manufacturer claims (like many vaccines). So, keep that in mind (especially if he is an adult with children who catch CP one day). If he ever decides to stop getting boosters as an adult, he is open to catch the CP just like any other person who has never had the CP. If you dont want to continue with boosters, dont. It's your choice. If you want your LO to catch CP naturally, you can join some local crunchy mama groups (on facebook, for example) and hope for another child to come down with CP. Chances are, he'll get it as a child if exposed, since he has only had 1 dose (and it is not 100% effective even with routine boosters).
Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
hailey1312
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They normally do the vax at 12 months WITH the MMR, it's a combined vax now so you need to be aware of that. I think you can still get the MMR vaccine without the chicken pox vaccine if you want to. They do it at 12 months, then again around 5 ish and I think again around 10 ish?? Anyway...
DD didn't get it at 12 months. We have actually not done any vax since she was 9 months old but that's another topic. Anyway I was hoping she'd get CP naturally but didn't figure she'd have a good chance of getting it. She caught it from her cousin at 19 months old! I was scared it would be worse for her at that young of an age, but honestly I am thankful she got it so young. Her cousins all caught it at the same time (that's where she got it) We didn't expose her intentionally, but she was playing with her oldest cousin the day before he broke out with them. They have no idea where he was exposed , probably homeschool group or church.

I planned to consider giving her the vax if she had not gotten chicken pox by the time she was 10ish or so. Dr Sears vaccine book says it is worse as a teenager and if they have not contracted it to give them the vax before they are teens. This way they have a good long time to catch it when they are young and if they don't you can vax later.
hailey1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

OP - If you search back about 7-10 days, there was a thread almost identical to this.

OP, you can have blood drawn to check you LO's level of immunity. This commonly called a titer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbean02 View Post
Well, the CP vax is not a lifelong vaccine. He will need to get boosters through adulthood for it to work to the efficiency that the manufacturer claims (like many vaccines). So, keep that in mind (especially if he is an adult with children who catch CP one day). If he ever decides to stop getting boosters as an adult, he is open to catch the CP just like any other person who has never had the CP. If you dont want to continue with boosters, dont. It's your choice. If you want your LO to catch CP naturally, you can join some local crunchy mama groups (on facebook, for example) and hope for another child to come down with CP. Chances are, he'll get it as a child if exposed, since he has only had 1 dose (and it is not 100% effective even with routine boosters).
There are no boosters currently recommended or offered (generally to the public) for varicella. It is a 2 part vaccination whether you get it as a child or adult. If you look back in the thread I mention above, I linked to the CDC schedule and explained how it can be difficult to read the schedule.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
tusheez
Registered
seller

My Mood:

My DS had chicken pox 2 1/2 yrs ago in April. He was 11yrs old. He did not get the vaccine. He had them really bad. DD had just turned 2 at the time and she had the vaccine and did not get chicken pox.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

IF you have the opportunity to expose both of them, after your LO turns one, and they get it, even a mild case of it, then no, I would not get the second shot. If they do not catch the virus before hitting puberty, then I would get a titer done, and if they do not have good immunity to it (over 1.1) then I would have them vaccinated for it, and do both shots.

The vaccine is not lasting, and the older a child (or adult) is when they get varicella, the more challenging and painful (and severe) it tends to be.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Before I even read all these I'd like to share my vaccination issues with the varicella vaccine.....I have followed all vaccination guidelines and never missed a deadline for my four children and ALL OF THEM still got infected with varicella....the last episode was in March with my then 20m ds to the extent where he couldn't even walk...took him in to the dr and it was the first signifigant case in 5 years in my county bc they legally have to report that kind of thing. I was preggo is the only reason I took him in bc I already knew what he had. My advice? Do what feels right and that's coming from a nurse (me). Btw...he came down with foot hand mouth shortly after....not seen in my area since my daughter had it 4 years prior...maybe its just my kids lol.

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Djrose
Registered Users
Formerly: Xains Mommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will hold off on ds vaccine and just pray I can expose both of them in the next few years. I thank you all for your opinions.
Djrose is offline   Reply With Quote