Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1
My Mood:
Originally Posted by hollyecat
I'm probably late to the party here, but DS1 has bad reactions to mosquito bites that look just like that. The doc says it's common and nothing to worry about. She gave me prescrition strength hydro cortisone to put on them. If I catch the bit immediately after the mosquito gets him, it almost doesn't swell at all. Otherwise, he gets giant hot welts for a day or two. Then if he scratches too much, I have to put bandaids w/ neosporin on to help with infection. It sounds worse than it is. Fortunately, central Texas is drier and has lots of bats for eating mosquitoes, so I only have to deal with it occasionally! Hoping for the best Mama!
Yep my DS1 has seriously bad reactions to mosquitos. He swells up really bad and itches and it gets hard and hot. Its bad. Then about 48 hours after a bite it starts to go away. I give him benadryl and topical anti itch. Depending upon where his is I also give him Ibuprofen.

Megan, wife to Jason. Mommy to Asher, 2, Levi, 1 and Rebekah coming September 10.
babylove921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #22
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
My Mood:
Re: OMGness, what is this????

Both of my boys had bad reactions to mosquitoes as well. Huge hard knots with a weird thing in the middle; looked just like the pic in the OP. I used a homeopathic bug bite stick and it helped a lot. Or tea tree/lavender, in a pinch. They grew out of it, thank goodness.

Fire ant bites also look like that, though. My kids spend 6+ hours a day outside, walking around in sandals or barefoot, so we see fire ant bites a lot. I use the above remedies, or nothing at all. They go away eventually, but itch like the ****ens until then.
Shayla ~ Freebirthin' mama to Holdekins, Pants, Pins, and Beans.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote