Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

simple lentil soup

I've Googled and I'm not the only one looking for this but apparently no one has been successful: Does anyone have a clone recipe for Progresso lentil soup? DD loves it and I have lentils, veggie broth, tomato paste, celery, spinach, etc. on hand. But I'd rather not wing it unless I have to.

Advertisement

Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: simple lentil soup

I make lentil soup a lot, haven't had much of the canned stuff but I tell you what my basic recipe is. (sorry, I don't measure anything!)

Cook onion, celery and chopped carrots in a small amount of oil until they soften a little then add a couple of cloves of garlic and cook a few seconds more. Add rinsed lentils and cover with broth/water. Bring to a boil and then cook on low until the lentils are done, about 30 minutes. Add spinach, salt and pepper and any other spices (I like a little cumin) and cook a few more minutes until the spinach is wilted.

Sometimes I add a can of tomatoes before the lentils. A squeeze of lemon into your bowl of soup is really good too.

ETA: I forgot I usually add a bay leaf as well.

Last edited by Leah52; 08-13-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The progresso is the absolute BEST!! I would love to have a recipe that is similar.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
The progresso is the absolute BEST!! I would love to have a recipe that is similar.
Well, I have a can on the counter and the Joy of Cooking open to the lentil soup recipe, so if my experimenting is a success, I'll post it here later this week.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesslouise View Post
Well, I have a can on the counter and the Joy of Cooking open to the lentil soup recipe, so if my experimenting is a success, I'll post it here later this week.

Sounds great!!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
I make lentil soup a lot, haven't had much of the canned stuff but I tell you what my basic recipe is. (sorry, I don't measure anything!)

Cook onion, celery and chopped carrots in a small amount of oil until they soften a little then add a couple of cloves of garlic and cook a few seconds more. Add rinsed lentils and cover with broth/water. Bring to a boil and then cook on low until the lentils are done, about 30 minutes. Add spinach, salt and pepper and any other spices (I like a little cumin) and cook a few more minutes until the spinach is wilted.

Sometimes I add a can of tomatoes before the lentils. A squeeze of lemon into your bowl of soup is really good too.

ETA: I forgot I usually add a bay leaf as well.
Sounds yummy!