Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Fenugree, blessed thistle, and domperidone

For those of you who are taking domperidone, do you find that you still have to take the herbs (fenugreek and blessed thistle) also? I started domperidone a couple of months ago in addition to the herbs. I ran out of fenugreek and was hoping that I'd eventually be o.k. with the domperidone alone but I've a noticed a drop in my supply already. I'm still taking the blessed thistle in addition to the domperidone. I went ahead and ordered a massive supply of fenugreek and blessed thistle on vitacost.com. At 9 pills of each/day, you go through it pretty fast

Anyway, just wondering if I'm going to have continue swallowing a lot of pills for the rest of the time that I'm nursing my lo. I've noticed too that if I forget to take the herbs or domperidone in the morning that my supply is messed up for a few days too.

Advertisement

Last edited by neuro_mom; 08-16-2012 at 10:45 PM.
neuro_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
QMtwins
Registered Users

Re: Fenugree, blessed thistle, and domperidone

In my experience, I've noticed that some women do notice a drop when they discontinue one of the meds/herbs they are taking. Also, some women don't notice as much if they taper off them. Did you stop the fenugreek suddenly?
For me personally, I found the herbs did very little for my supply in general. If I ate a lot of foods that support milk supply and used the domperidone by itself, it was great.
QMtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

How much dom are you taking?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm taking 30 mg dom/3x day. That seemed to work w/ the 3 pills fenugreek/3x day and 3 pills blessed thistle/3x day. I picked up a bottle of fenugreek and restarted it today while I wait for the shipment to arrive (cheaper online).

What foods, in addition to oatmeal, support milk supply? I eat oatmeal everyday - sometimes twice a day if I can stomach it.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Brewer's Yeast is good. There is a recipe for "lactation cookies". They are tasty and good for milk supply. You can increase to 40mg 3x a day if you'd like. That should help too.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I have some brewer's yeast pills but didn't stick with them. Didn't notice much of a difference when adding it. Wouldn't hurt to try adding it again. Is there a certain amount of brewer's yeast I should take per day? I can try increasing the dom too. I seemed o.k. where I was at before so I think it was the going off the fenugreek that messed me up. It was nice not smelling like maple syrup for a few days. Oh well

I saw the recipe for the lactation cookies. My lo is sensitive to dairy products so I haven't been consuming milk, butter, etc. Will it make a difference if I substitute soy butter for real butter on the lactation cookie recipe? I saw the recipe on DS but wondered if substitutions would be o.k. Lo is becoming a little more tolerant of my occasionally having small amounts of dairy but I'm afraid to go all out w/ a cup of butter in a recipe.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMtwins View Post
IDid you stop the fenugreek suddenly?
I ran out of the fenugreek so I went off of it cold turkey which I'm sure didn't help. I'll try tapering if there is a next time. I'm beginning to think I just need to stay on everything since it was working for me before.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Nope, you can use earth balance, oil, or another dairy free "butter."