Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
Registered Users
Re: My mom yelled at my 3 month old

That is unacceptable. I would not allow her to be alone with my child...ever. And honestly, I wouldn't be too keen on her even being around my child at all. My ten month old is just starting to show his temper. He will scream and arch his back during diaper changes and scream in anger/frustration if you take something away from him. I wouldn't dream of yelling at him. He is a BABY. And if anyone else did they wouldn't be welcome in my home.

hollydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

Totally unacceptable in every way. I'm sorry she snapped at the baby like that! I would've had a hard time containing myself and I can take a lot of crap.
Sarah, mom of many
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
Registered Users
Mom just got lost on the moment. I would bet you have a moment or two of those instances as you grow as a mom. Gosh I remember being so angry at my ds#1 for crying those first 4 months (straight!!!!!) that I just closed my eyes, covered my ears and screamed! 'stop!!!!!' of course I called my
Own mommy and cried about how horrible I was. Lol. But I loved my guy something fierce. We are extremely extremely bonded from a that crying. Very connected. But I lost sense of my myself and him at that one minute. It's also harder to care for a newborns when you aren't used to it. I'll be so firm with my 5 year old that when my 18 month niece is around, my mindset has to change and sometimes I catch myself! So used to saying 'Gabriel!!!!!! Don't touch!!' instead of 'no, no, little cutie. Gentle hands, my love' lol.

Not saying it's okay. Just realize that everyone gets flustered with screaming babies and are not always in the best mindset. She wasn't dangerous. He won't remember (he probably didn't even hear) but you are mama bear. And ma bear is sensitive to everything. I'd be irked too. But after 6 years of mommying, I think I can step back and look at the perspective. Especially if ur mom is generally NOT like that.
BFing, CDing, all natural mama to three boys! Certified lactation Counselor
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
My Mood:
mama. I would have been upset too. But it's also important to remember that a baby crying is very stressful for some people, and a lot of people simply react the only way they know how. I hope your mom at least apologizes to you and your DS!
Trying-to-stay-sane mama to four boys (5/07, 10/09, 7/11, and 11/12)
AnimalHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

It's really upsetting, especially when it's your own baby! I can't imagine how hurtful that is.

But, remember, maybe your mom just can't handle the stress of a screaming baby. If you know she can't be in charge of a screaming baby, make sure she's not in charge alone for a while.

Forgive your mom, but make being with your baby easy on her. Grandparents are the only people in the world who love your kids as much as they loved you. Most of my friends who are grandparents have made their grandkids their whole life.

Everybody deserves a little grace.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
Registered Users

Eek. I don't think so. So sorry mama. I would have been p****d too....
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
Registered Users
My Mood:

Wow, that's sad, I would talk to her about it.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote