Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can a child attend a public school in another town?

Here in Illinois you have to apply to the other district and if you're approved, you have to pay tuition and provide transportation. There's also some weird rule (at least here in Southern Illinois, not sure if its a state rule or an individual district thing) that if you're an out-of-district transfer student, you can't participate in any extracurricular activities (not even band or clubs, but primarily sports) for a year after transfer...its mostly in place to keep schools from "scouting" kids. I believe that's only in place for students that live out of district though, if you moved into the district I don't think they can keep you from doing extracurriculars.

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I transferred my kids to another district. My dd was only approved this year because her brothers have gone there for so long. Several other kids were denied simply because the school is so full. I would definitely call the school and find out their process.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Hi! I live in AR. It totally depends on the district. If the district you want in is overcrowded, you are not likely to be accepted. Likewise, if you are trying to transfer out of an overcrowded district, you are likely to be granted as long as you go to a less populated one.

Anyway, I live in an overcrowded district and my elementary school kids are in public school where it's not so much a problem but my high school kid is homeschooled because the high school is overcrowded.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #14
hikergal73
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Growing up, I had a high school friend who we called our "exchange student" because she lived two towns over I believe her family had to pay a bit tuition. I am not sure what the rules are now and it is probably dependent on where you are trying to transfer to. I was wondering the same thing myself since we live right on the border.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #15
adoreachild
Registered Users

No, I don't have any idea about it.
adoreachild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #16
Belbaby3728
Banned

NY here, I know we have to pay more money (taxes) if sending to different school district. Don't know all the details.
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #17
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is up to each school district on whether or not they take open enrollemnt. I know our district does not.

You just need to call and find out.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #18
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Here in iowa its open enroll in any district if u want but then u probably have to get kid to school unless outskirts of town & depends on district on busing limit. Lots of discussing at elem level cuz too many 4 buildings higher up, condition of buildings & more..... long story so I won't go into it.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #19
ralenth
Registered Users

Here in NH, no you can't. Schools are paid for pretty much entirely by local property taxes, and unless you work in the school, no they don't take out of town kids. I had a friend try to get her kids into our school with no luck at all.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote