Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #71
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Is my DD starting her period???

Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
I remember my mom telling me about how in her day, you had to wear this belt-like thing and attach the pad to it. And that the pad was enormous and went all the way from high in front to high in back. I didn't realize she was just sharing her experience and thought one day I would have to use that thing. I was mortified LOL

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
LOL thats what my mom pulled out of her drawer when I started my period! I think I was about 14 or 15 at the time and it started out heavy for me, I hid it from my mom all day long, I so did not want to tell her, I knew it was my period cause we had talked about it many years previous, so all day I let it go until I had bled through my underwear and all over my pants and knew I couldnt hid it anymore. My mom had a hysterectomy when I was young and was unaware of any new things, so she pulls out this giant belt and even more gigantic pad and explains to me how it fits. I looked at her horrified and said I really dont want to wear that, dont they make something better than that and she said she wasnt sure but we could take a run to the store and check. Thankfully they did! So we came home with some much smaller and more tolerable pads.

I hated disposable pads though they made me rash up SO bad every month, I started to think a massive rash, horrible cramps and PMS and super heavy bleeding were normal. I recall asking my mom what people did before disposables like Little House on the Prairie and she said she guessed they used scraps of fabric. One day out of desperation, I was so miserable with this rash, that I snuck scraps of our fabric from the sewing room and rolled them up to make pads. I threw them in the trash though cause I was a little scared I might get in trouble (I never told my mom I was doing that). It was such relief that it quickly became a monthly habit. But I would only do it when the rash was unbearable. I was in my 20's and beginning to cloth diaper our 3rd son when I found out people actually made momma cloth! I immediately set out to sew some for myself and have never looked back. And guess what no more rashes and my cycle is lighter and my aweful cramps and terrible pms are gone! Cloth is awesome

Tara Joyfully serving Yeshua, Happy helpmeet to my dear husband J, Blessed momma to: J - 15, M - 13, D - 10, R - 3, M - 7/31/12 and praying for more!

Last edited by marliah; 08-21-2012 at 03:31 PM.
marliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #72
Blossom of Snow
Registered Users
My Mood:

Oh puberty, such an awkward time. This thread has brought back so many memories I got my first period halfway in 5th grade, I had just turned 11. For months prior I had been on steroids, 4 different inhalers, and a nebulizer to treat a severe case of pneumonia. I freaked out when I saw the blood (lots of it too, so jealous of all you ladies who had light periods!) and thought I was dying! Then, my newly developed 11 year old rationale kicked in and said "this is obviously a side effect to the steroids and will go away once I stop taking them." And I didn't tell my Mom or Dad, I didn't want to be taken to the hospital. One month later we had the puberty talk in school and it was a facepalm moment for me
Blossom of Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #73
Registered Users
My Mood:

i started mine when we were out of town for a my great aunt's house... and all she had were incontinence pads
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #74
Registered Users
I cannot imagine having a daughter. I also started late... A month before 16. My dad bought me tampons and I have only worn pads in emergency situations.
Mom to Isaac born 5-24-11 and Leah 2-19-13
Sarahknavy is offline   Reply With Quote