Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
3 week old not gaining

my 3 week old just got weighed and she hasnt gained anything in the last 2 weeks :/ I am concerned. She sleeps really long stretches at night and now with this not gaining I have been told to wake her every 3 hours at least to eat and every 2 during the day. She is breast fed. And they will weigh her next week.

Has anyone else delt with this? did your baby go on to gain weight ok? All my others gained really well. And now this one, who was my biggest at birth (8lb 10oz) is not gaining well.

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3 week old not gaining

All of mine were slow gainers. As long as they are happy, and their output is good, I wasn't worried.

ETA: yes, you should continue to wake baby every 2-3 hrs to be sure they are getting enough food. Don't know if my original comment implied not to do that. Just wanted to offer that some babies are just slow to gain weight. My smallest was 8 lbs 2 oz and my biggest was 2 lbs heavier at birth and none of them were more than 17 lbs by a year!

Last edited by paper_girl_76; 08-21-2012 at 06:23 PM.
paper_girl_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My first was this way, I had to wake him to feed every 3 hours also. He was a dozer too, so I had to constantly wake him while he was eating to make sure he got to the hind milk. I pumped and bottle fed him as well so I could see how much he was eating. I bought an infant scale and literally weighed him before and after every feeding so I knew he had consumed at least a few ounces. Granted that was my first do of course I probably went a bit overboard but after a couple of weeks of this insanity he went on to nurse without issue and gained weight at a healthy rate.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

My baby was 8lb 5 oz. She was a big girl. She slept all. the. time. LOVED to sleep. She eventually gained weight and took off in her growth, but for the first month, it was nearly impossible to wake her up for any reason.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I would try & see how doc advice goes. Some just don't gain like others. My 16 mo isn't 20lbs yet & my oldest was over 20 by now by lots.....
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Some babies are happy to starve. With any newborn that is losing weight, you MUST put them to breast, every two hours, without fail. Around the clock.

My first was like this. Never wake a sleeping baby was our first thought. Until we realized he was starving. Literally.

It's not uncommon for a baby to sleep thru hunger. You must be his clock. Starting now. Set an alarm.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
SarahS12
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
Some babies are happy to starve. With any newborn that is losing weight, you MUST put them to breast, every two hours, without fail. Around the clock.

My first was like this. Never wake a sleeping baby was our first thought. Until we realized he was starving. Literally.

It's not uncommon for a baby to sleep thru hunger. You must be his clock. Starting now. Set an alarm.
Yep this. DS was like this in the beginning.
SarahS12 is offline   Reply With Quote