Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #51
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

My oldest was 3. He outgrew the rear facing on his old carseat and we flipped him. Then my mom bought us a radian and the lint was 40 lbs which he's vastly under. However when we tries to turn him around again it was world war three so we just left him. Little I almost 2 and tall. Still only weighs 28 lbs though. So he'll be Gavin backwards for a good while still.

Advertisement

kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #52
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did you put your child in a front faceing car seat & size question

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBigMama View Post
All of mine were turned around at one, if not before. I have really tall kids and their knees were pushing up towards their faces making it absolutely unsafe. Had they not been tall I wouldn't probably just waited until they got too tall since I think rear facing really is safer.
I am sorry and not trying to be rude but the bolded is absolutely false. FF early puts them at a high risk for internal decapitation. A broken leg is much better than a dead child. There are many things the kids can do with their legs. Also FF before one is illegal and EXTREMELY dangerous. One is the absolute bare minimum for the law and now the bare minimum for recommendations is 2. Sorry but I had to say that because people reading really need to understand that a tall kid still can safely RF well past 1.

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #53
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

its not as side shot, but she was 4 years 10 months in this picture.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #54
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
All of mine were turned around at one, if not before. I have really tall kids and their knees were pushing up towards their faces making it absolutely unsafe. Had they not been tall I wouldn't probably just waited until they got too tall since I think rear facing really is safer.
There are lots of average sized 4 year olds out there that are rear facing. There is no way that your children were bigger than an average sized 4 year old at a year old. We are not talking about infant seats, we are talking about convertible car seats. There have been seats out there for several years now that rear face to 30+ lbs. It's using the right tools to do the job. The child's legs being bent is not a safety issue. No child's legs have ever been broken in a crash because of rear facing. Children have broken their necks because of forward facing. Rear facing protects the neck and spinal cord, delicate body parts that cannot be easily fixed once injured.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #55
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
It is OK that you did what you clearly thought was best at the time, but now that you know better please be careful how you word this. It sounds like you believe a tall one-year-old should be forward facing for safety. In fact, the tall child needs to be moved to a rear-facing convertible that can accommodate the height. Children normally will not put their knees up in their faces; more likely they will prop their feet up on the back of the vehicle seat, hang them over the sides, or cross their legs. If they do sit with their knees bent into their faces, one can only assume this is comfortable for them for whatever reason, and just leave it alone. It is not a safety concern. Forward facing children bash their faces against the front vehicle seats all the time; I've never heard of a rear facing child being injured because his face was too close to his knees.

Hopefully now that you have better information, if you have any more children in your future you will be able to make safer choices for them.
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:35 AM   #56
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I reconfigured my my seats so that my 3.5 year old ds is re-rf. He loves it, and is happy as a clam! Now he can keep his eye on what his sisters are doing in the third row.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #57
mama23boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeGreen2011 View Post
Can someone post a pic of their child RF until 3 or 4 or more? I'm researching ERF now for my baby and can't imagine my 4 year old still RFing. I drive a small car and hubby drives a truck. I can't imagine ERFing in either. Maybe I'm missing something...?

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.
Here's a good photo album of kids ERF'ing. When you click on the indivisual pictures you can see the full shots http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/rfalbum.aspx

My first two, I turned right after a year. I had not heard of ERF and didn't know anyone who didn't turn their child around at a year. I turned my 2yr9mth old ff a couple months ago. I really didn't want to but DH kept pushing. He says it's too much for the other kids to alway have to climp under to get in their seats w/ two rf'ing seats. The thing is that they still climb under the rf'ing seat on the other side instead of getting in on the side w/ the ff seat. I think I'm gonna turn him back and DH can get over it.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #58
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I bought a True Fit Recline for DS when he turned 2 and it wouldn't fit RFing in either of our vehicles I was reluctant, but I turned him. He is large for his age, he was about 32lbs then (the true fit only RFing until 35 anyways, which is why I didn't bother to return it) and he's about 37 or 38lbs now. I plan on getting DS2 a more compact car seat this time that RFs to 40lbs.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #59
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

my DS who will be 3 next month is still RF in my van but FF in hubby's pickup he was 27 months when we got the truck DD1 who just turned 2 is RF in both vehicles
Old 08-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #60
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
I bought a True Fit Recline for DS when he turned 2 and it wouldn't fit RFing in either of our vehicles I was reluctant, but I turned him. He is large for his age, he was about 32lbs then (the true fit only RFing until 35 anyways, which is why I didn't bother to return it) and he's about 37 or 38lbs now. I plan on getting DS2 a more compact car seat this time that RFs to 40lbs.
I am interested to know what vehicles the True Fit did not fit in. I have installed a True Fit in a 2 door Yaris with room to spare so I consider it a seat that works well in shallow back seats.