Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hiring a doula

I live in a very small town. There are no midwives and one doula, but she and I have a working relationship on natural birth projects for the community, so I wouldn't feel comfortable with her seeing me during labour and birth.

I'm aware of two other local women with an EDD within the same week as me, so competition for any outside doulas willing to travel here could be an issue (competition for outside midwife support is also fierce but thankfully I got in).

Sooo...when would you start to seek out potential doulas in surrounding cities, given those limited resources?

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm always one to start looking as soon as possible. I like to have everything lined up, planned and able to have one less thing to try to do later. I've already spoken with a friend/doula and I've already hired a birth photographer. There are a bunch of birth doulas here but many book up fast, so the sooner the better--- especially if there is "competition".

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
jackobeano
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hiring a doula

I would say to look now. I always call the midwife I've decided to use almost right after finding out just to make sure I get in before there's an overflow.

ISO/IHA
jackobeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
blushingmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Now. LOL I don't think it's ever too early, and most doula's will be in contact with you through your pregnancy anyway. I happened to stumble upon my doula towards the end of my pregnancy, but even without "competition" if I were to get pregnant again I would secure my doula early on.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I agree to looking now too. FX you find a great match!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
Madame Medina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does your midwife have a doula or two that she works with on a regular basis? If so that's were I would start looking.
The New Spring Catalog is HERE! For every $31 you spend in March get your choice of seven totes at 50% OFF! Thirty-One Gifts All DS mama's who host a catalog party with me earn DOUBLE in Free Hostess Credit. Looking to earn some extra money? Join my team in March and get your kit for FREE. Ask me how.
Madame Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, all, for your feedback! No, midwives here in Ontario, Canada are regulated and free of charge just like doctors, so it's a bit different than what a midwife often represents in the US; they don't recommend specific doulas, for example, as that's an unregulated profession (I know there's DONA and CAPPA, but anyone can actually call themselves a doula since parents pay out of pocket). I appreciate the thought, though! I did find 1 DONA certified doula and 1 working towards her certification who will travel to my town and have sent inquiries to them both, based on what you have all said.