Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #61
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did you put your child in a front faceing car seat & size question

A 2002 subaru outback and a 2001 chevy blazer. Really, they do NOT fit on the highest upright level allowed for RFing. The newer recline models are huge seats. Do you have the original true fit? It would fit without the headrest, but it has to be on once their head reaches the top and/or reaches 22lbs.

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #62
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

It was an original True Fit and I have fit a True Fit Recline in there as well. The seat can be at 35 degrees for an older rear facer. I was able to install it without the headrest as well as with. I was testing it out for a friend to make sure it fit before she ordered the seat for her DD. The key to getting it in is to install without the headrest, get it as upright as allowed, tighten and close the lockoffs, and then put the headrest in. The Recline and the original are almost exactly the same size. I'm a tech with quite a bit of True Fit experience so I'm confident that it was installed properly .
Old 08-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #63
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, maybe I need to try again So bizzare. I swear, I fiddled with it to try and get it to RFs for hours, I felt like I was going to cry Neither DH or myself is that tall (5'7 and 5'11) but when it's in the passenger has their knees crushed into the jockey box.
I'll try it in the blazer one more time. I honestly can't imagine it fitting in the subaru though. Even with DS2's infant evenflow seat it's horribly uncomfortable for me as the passenger, and impossible for DH
Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #64
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lguillory View Post
I never realized how long most people keep their children rear facing. This was great information; it looks my LO will be staying rear facing a bit longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighmpalmer View Post
Thanks for asking this question, and for all the responses. I ave been wanting to turn my daughter around all week and I do know better. I will keep her Rfing as long as I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcrouse View Post
I turned my DS ff a few months ago, and I have been wondering if that was the right decision... Mainly did it so my niece could fit her nautilus in to ride somewhere with us and never moved it back. I am glad I happened on this thread, and I have a strong feeling that I will turn him back rf for a while longer when I clean out the van tomorrow.
He likes rf and has never complained. He is in a radian xtsl as is my 17 month old DS. . Need to weigh him to make sure he is still in range for rf I guesS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBigMama View Post
All of mine were turned around at one, if not before. I have really tall kids and their knees were pushing up towards their faces making it absolutely unsafe. Had they not been tall I wouldn't probably just waited until they got too tall since I think rear facing really is safer.
All of mine were and still are in the 98% for height and rf'ed with out any problems due to their height and their knees were never in their faces either. And, most importantly that info is false. It is much safer for them to rf than to have their legs bent, crossed, around the seat, or any other position they put them in. Broken legs is better than a broken neck.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #65
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcrouse View Post
I reconfigured my my seats so that my 3.5 year old ds is re-rf. He loves it, and is happy as a clam! Now he can keep his eye on what his sisters are doing in the third row.
Yes, exactly! I'm going to have a heck of a time when I do have to turn him ff'ing.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #66
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I had the opposite problem. When we had my daughter FF in the third row and son RF in the second, the giggles, cackling, and loud shouting drove me absolutely bonkers!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #67
*Kai&Mommy*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you guys so much for the info-I keep seeing all these kids FF and they are wayyyy younger than my son , I mean like a few months old. I Thought maybe I was strange leaving my son RF for so long , but now I'm glad. I know I'm doing the right thing!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #68
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My oldest was b4 yr but was at weight. Second was 17 month for height. Both were cramped & unhappy & very hard to get into seat. I had an accent from hyundai & I think our front is eddie bauer.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote