Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #21
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: freezer cooking?

brook-not really just make sure it's moist. Sometimes i will brush the flour tortillas or corn tortillas in the red burrito sauce stuff.

This has some good ones...

http://afrugalsimplelife.com/2011/09...zer-meal-plan/

Advertisement

~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #22
mandymatus
Registered Users

My Mood:

last year a month before my 2nd was born a hurricane (a mild one) came through and our power was out for 3 days! at that point i had a whole over refridgerator full. thankfully we borrowed a friend's generator and my food was safe! at least we won't be in hurricane season this time!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #23
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's my favorite enchilada recipe: http://joyful-mommas-kitchen.blogspo...nchiladas.html

It's great with any kinds of cheese (I've used cheddar and taco mix instead of just the Monterey Jack cheese.) and also can be spiced up to your preference (put spice on the chicken or add it to the sauce) and I also add homemade red chile sauce in mine. It's delicious!
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #24
lisha622
Registered Users
seller

brookglen, my problem isn't meat, it's milk/cheese. I can't have dairy, and SO many freezer recipes have milk and cheese. I did make chicken pot pies last time (limited amount of dairy, so I could handle it). I made one other thing, but I forget what it was now. Anyways, I know there are some other dairy-less options as well, but not many great ones, IMO.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #25
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisha622
brookglen, my problem isn't meat, it's milk/cheese. I can't have dairy, and SO many freezer recipes have milk and cheese. I did make chicken pot pies last time (limited amount of dairy, so I could handle it). I made one other thing, but I forget what it was now. Anyways, I know there are some other dairy-less options as well, but not many great ones, IMO.
My earlier post was all dairy free . I used a roux to thicken my pot pies.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #26
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisha622
Most of the crockpot ones are dairy free. Those seem like a nuce option as all the ingredients are in a ziploc and you just dump it into the crockpot. I get nervous about leaving the house with the crockpot on, but since I'll be home I'm gonna try some.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #27
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

some sort of indian curry with coconut milk instead of real dairy would probably do well
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #28
brookglen
Registered Users

We eat a lot of beans so one of my favorite things to do is to cook a huge pot of dry beans and then freeze them in broth. Then you can grab a small container and toss them in soups, salads, Mexican food etc.

Also my absolute favorite soup to freeze is this red lentil soup with lemon from New York Times. It's probably the best soup I've ever had. I like it pretty thin and soupy with lots of lemon and sea salt.
brookglen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #29
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymatus View Post
last year a month before my 2nd was born a hurricane (a mild one) came through and our power was out for 3 days! at that point i had a whole over refridgerator full. thankfully we borrowed a friend's generator and my food was safe! at least we won't be in hurricane season this time!
Thank goodness you were able to save it. This is why I'm waiting until so close to the end to start freezing stuff. The power goes out here a lot during the snowy season because people wreck into the power poles or big trees take them out during storms and we need to get a 2nd generator in order to run stuff here. I don't know if one will be in the budget until after our birth is paid off, but I can't risk losing that much food so I will have to wait.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #30
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can do a few things for the freezer (stir fry & sweet/sour chix) but being gluten free makes most of my meals un-freezable. I think having most things prepped (chicken cut up, peppers & onions pre-chopped, lots of meat) will make things easier. I love my crock-pot and new rice cooker and that is going to make my life easier.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote