Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #1271
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This is really beautiful! Another mama Pmed me and shared it. I figured you all would love and appreciate it.
One is the web version one is the mobile version.

http://youtu.be/ApGYjkSXDQE

Advertisement

Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #1272
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
This is really beautiful! Another mama Pmed me and shared it. I figured you all would love and appreciate it.
One is the web version one is the mobile version.

http://youtu.be/ApGYjkSXDQE
this made me tear up a little bit.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #1273
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2lucy View Post
I'm curious too. And any websites that state WHY you don't retract foreskin and such? DH is insisting you retract if poop gets in there....
Every intact male will retract their own foreskin in their own time.

Prior to retractability, the foreskin is fused to the glans (so feces cannot get in and contaminate). Not only is premature retraction extremely painful for the babies, it also causes adhesions. Adhesions are open wounds, and open wounds are a breeding ground for bacteria. Breeding ground for bacteria = infections.

Doctors used to (and some still do) recommend retracting a boy with every diaper change and bath. This is how the outcries of abundant infections began to circulate in intact boys, leading to the the mass demands for "circumcise to prevent infections!".

Now that we know that premature retraction is ill advice, infections are being prevented by PROPER care (ie, leave the dang thing alone ).

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #1274
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2lucy

I'm curious too. And any websites that state WHY you don't retract foreskin and such? DH is insisting you retract if poop gets in there....
Think of it in terms of the finger nail analogy. You don't rip your entire finger nail away from your nail bed to clean underneath it. You clean what is not attached and leave the rest alone because since it IS attached, nothing is gathering under there that should be removed. As your nail gets longer, and more is exposed and not entirely attached, you continue to clean all that isn't attached. I can get poop under my nail, but it won't go into my nail bed because there is no way for it to get there.

Same with foreskin. You clean what is seen and exposed to the elements. As your son plays with his penis and foreskin, and begins retracting it on his own, you'll teach him how to properly rinse it as more becomes unattached.

For more information, you can browse medical sites and look for forceful foreskin retraction and the possible issues it can cause.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 08-30-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #1275
Mom2lucy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THBVsMama View Post
Every intact male will retract their own foreskin in their own time.

Prior to retractability, the foreskin is fused to the glans (so feces cannot get in and contaminate). Not only is premature retraction extremely painful for the babies, it also causes adhesions. Adhesions are open wounds, and open wounds are a breeding ground for bacteria. Breeding ground for bacteria = infections.

Doctors used to (and some still do) recommend retracting a boy with every diaper change and bath. This is how the outcries of abundant infections began to circulate in intact boys, leading to the the mass demands for "circumcise to prevent infections!".

Now that we know that premature retraction is ill advice, infections are being prevented by PROPER care (ie, leave the dang thing alone ).

Great explanation! thanks!
Mom2lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #1276
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19072761

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #1277
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie View Post
I hate the title. I agree with Joseph4GI that the media creates this "controversy" or "dilemma" that pits the beneficent doctors against the crazy intactivists. What other body part do we agonize about cutting off? None. And the Jewish mom at the end compared being attacked for circumcising to a gay person being attacked by homophobes: FAIL! Actually, religion is the motivating factor in abrogating the rights of both male children and gay adults.

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #1278
Fellow Traveler
Registered Users

For an annotated version (a work in progress and being updated) of the AAP statement click here: http://tinyurl.com/aapanno
Fellow Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #1279
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
Frankly this is another reason I'm happy to be an atheist. The truth is serious advocates want to circumcise because they think God wants them to do it, not because they think it's an objectively good idea. if I thought God wanted me to cut off my newborn's pinky toes not a doctor in the world would go along. The only difference between that and circumcision is commonality. the fact that something is common isn't enough to make it right.
I'm going to have to politely disagree. I'm Christian and I am incredibly opinionated about why I'm NOT circ'ing my boys. There are some Christians who think they are supposed to circ for religious reasons, but the New Testament states otherwise. M

Jews circumcise because they believe it was commanded of them to do so. But that's a much smaller percentage of the population. I think *most* people in the US circumcise simply because they think that's what they are supposed to do, without any real thought as to why. It's so normal here that a lot of people don't question it. And years ago, when your doctor said circumcision was better, parents couldn't run to the internet to do their own research. They had to rely on what their doctors told them. So when the medical community said to it, people did. I think circ rates are going down because people are doing their own research instead of taking everything their dr says as truth.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #1280
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat

I'm going to have to politely disagree. I'm Christian and I am incredibly opinionated about why I'm NOT circ'ing my boys. There are some Christians who think they are supposed to circ for religious reasons, but the New Testament states otherwise. M

Jews circumcise because they believe it was commanded of them to do so. But that's a much smaller percentage of the population. I think *most* people in the US circumcise simply because they think that's what they are supposed to do, without any real thought as to why. It's so normal here that a lot of people don't question it. And years ago, when your doctor said circumcision was better, parents couldn't run to the internet to do their own research. They had to rely on what their doctors told them. So when the medical community said to it, people did. I think circ rates are going down because people are doing their own research instead of taking everything their dr says as truth.
I can agree with that from personal experience. My mom said that's exactly why she did it. The doctor said to and you didn't question it, you just did it because doctor knows best.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote