Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #21
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: How much homework does your First grader have?

None really in Gr1 She had a home reading book that came home and when she was comfortable reading it she took it back and got another.

In Gr2 she also had spelling words that came home on Friday for the following Friday but to be honest we only ever practiced once or twice a week. Her teacher did such a good job teaching them during the week she didn't need to practice much more.

I've heard it will be much the same this year.
I'm glad to see this is the norm from the Cdn moms here. I don't believe in real homework before middle school at the earliest.

Advertisement

isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 AM   #22
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdmama*3
Ok so it sounds like he has more than most others. I'm not really complaining because he does need the extra practice and he is doing well with it. I just think it will get old real quick for him when he has to do this practically every night. I do think some homework is reasonable because they do need to be prepared for later. My ods has no homework at all unless he is studying a study guide for a test. I actually hope he starts having *some* homework soon. He's in 5th.
Couldn't you supplement homework for your 5th grader? He might annoyed at first but he'll get used to it. Like you said, it's good prep for later.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:25 AM   #23
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
Couldn't you supplement homework for your 5th grader? He might annoyed at first but he'll get used to it. Like you said, it's good prep for later.
I think if I'd gotten all my work done in class, and then I'd come home and my mom punished me for it by giving me extra work, she'd have had a seriously rebellious kid on her hands. And I was not rebellious at all. If he's doing a good job taking care of his work efficiently at school, then he's earned his free time.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #24
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtojande View Post
I think if I'd gotten all my work done in class, and then I'd come home and my mom punished me for it by giving me extra work, she'd have had a seriously rebellious kid on her hands. And I was not rebellious at all. If he's doing a good job taking care of his work efficiently at school, then he's earned his free time.
I had thought about this but he does get all A's and reads every chance he gets. I have thought about having him do some lapbooks on historical topics since he really likes history. I will suggest he play some educational games online while yds is doing homework and he will or he will ask if he can finish his book instead. I am going to ask his teacher about math as well. He has 90 minutes for math and he said he is always the first one finished so he reads the rest of the hour. The teacher spends that time helping others who are having trouble so I don't think he is being challenged in math. It is still early in the school year though so it may get more challenging as the year goes on. I do not want him to be like me and have a fairly easy time through high school and then when I got to college I had no idea how to study. This is the only reason I wish he had some type of homework but I know he does not need busy work.

ETA: I would not do this with my 5th grader if he really doesn't want to and it would be more of a weekend project if we did do the lapbook, not a nightly requirement. He is constantly reading about the Civil War and looking up information on it so a lapbook would be an easy way for him to keep track of what he's looking up.
Also the boys have a couple of science experiment books they use occasionally on their own.

Last edited by blackbirdmama*3; 08-31-2012 at 07:50 AM.
blackbirdmama*3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #25
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

even though we are primarily talking about first graders here, this brings back bad memories of 4+hours of homework (luckily I did most of mine during lectures) but ughh the days I didn't I Hated life at night time. I'm not looking forward to when my kids get to that stage in the game.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #26
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

My ds just finished up his first week with no homework. I know there will be homework in the future. I don't foresee it being excessive though. I think some of y'alls lists are too much.

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #27
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by champatlife View Post
even though we are primarily talking about first graders here, this brings back bad memories of 4+hours of homework (luckily I did most of mine during lectures) but ughh the days I didn't I Hated life at night time. I'm not looking forward to when my kids get to that stage in the game.
I don't remember ever really having homework in school unless I had missed for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amegrl520 View Post
My ds just finished up his first week with no homework. I know there will be homework in the future. I don't foresee it being excessive though. I think some of y'alls lists are too much.
I am thinking my ds2 has a lot. I expected spelling words and some reading but not 3-4 other worksheets on top of those.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #28
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdmama*3 View Post
I don't remember ever really having homework in school unless I had missed for something.

That would have been great. Even in college I got the professors that wanted you to write(don't type because then you can copy and paste) out the "key words" for multiple chapters like 3x- sometimes even the night before a test, do it all again. I get that some children/people will not "study" unless they are somehow forced to, but to me it was a PIA- it's not how I learn, but I was forced to suck it up, make me write a paper and be done with it, not something so mindless that's just sucking away time. Anywho whine whine whine, glad that's over with, I just don't look forward to my kids having to do it (if when it happens)