Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The principal has no control of transportation at my school. I would start tomorrow by calling them.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: Not happy with our elementary school!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
The principal has no control of transportation at my school. I would start tomorrow by calling them.
Agreed. Our district has a complete different number and office for transportation. Definitely start there!
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

If there has been a new principal & a sudden one like this it sounds like there is a mass confusion within the school.

here the school division is in charge of the busses, but the schools are responsible for getting the kids on the right bus. In kindergarten they wear a bus shaped tag on their backpacks.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

In our area, the school districts all either have their own bus systems or they contract with an outside bus company. In either event, the school is made aware of which bus the kids are supposed to get on, but otherside, pretty much all transportation issues are the responsibility of the bus company.

First of all, I would not fault a school for not jumping on the first day of school. My kids attend a small (only 100 families - 220 kids in k-8). We have attended there for 7 years now and I definitely avoid trying to get firm answers on anything on the first day back. Even at such a small school, there are still many things going on on the first day of school.

I have never had to provide identification to get my children off of the bus. I don't know anyone who has. So, I'm not sure what you expected the driver to do in that regard. I would expect my 5 year olds to recognize their parents and to be able to tell the bus driver that - yes, I belong to this person.

I would contact the bus garage to learn more about their procedures.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:31 AM   #15
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't call the school. Call the transportation department.

Next year, consider calling prior to school starting. The first days of school are very busy. A lot can be handled before it starts though.

Did your son know to get off at his house? If so, maybe remind him to tell the driver his address so make sure the driver gets it right. Yes, the driver should know or there should be a procedure, but this could reinforce where he is to get off.

I've never been asked for id to get my kids from the bus. They trust the kids know the people they are allowed to go with.

Sorry this is a mess! I hope it gets worked out and goes smoothly soon.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!

Last edited by KrisM; 08-31-2012 at 05:33 AM.
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #16
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll be talking to the principal later today. She left me a voicemail at work and I will contact her later today. If all things should be handled through transportation and not the school, then why didn't they tell us that from the beginning? We were waiting in the office and the lady in the smaller office would gather the info and call transportation directly. When DH went the other 2 days, it all went through her directly from the school.

The only things we knew for sure was that the teacher and the aid would gather the kids who took buses and made sure they got on the right bus. DS knows his address but he wouldn't have been able to recognize his stop since this was the first time.

I basically just want some answers. I don't think it's right that a parent who goes to the office 3 times is never told correct information. Or directed to the right person to call if they are not in the office.

My anger has dissipated at this point. It's a learning experience for all of us, but I am still not happy that our attempts to gather information was made so difficult. I am going to apologize to the principal in case my email came off harsh (I had my sisters read it and they didn't think so) and let her know that this is my first child and I like to be prepared when he is not within my care.

I think a lot of the worry came from the fact that he also has food allergies, and since transportation was such a mess, it made me worry about how careless the school might be in regards to his allergies as well. At his last nursery school, which was a lot smaller, I was given a handout and numerous updates on what was happening and what to expect, so this is very different for me.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #17
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

our school has a bus transportation # that handles everything. You call give them your address, they tell you the bus number and pick up/drop off times. I have always put a 3x5 notecard in my DD's book bag with her name, school name, teacher, bus number, our address and contact information, in case she "forgot" or got stressed out when someone asks her. I check everyday to make sure that card is still in her bag (her first day of school it wasn't, so she used it) so I remade it, and slipped it back in and told her, where it was. Last year when she was in kindergarten, I made two when she first started school one for her bag, and one for her pocket.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #18
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Talking to principal now. I asked her if I should be contacting the bus company directly in regards to this and she said "No, we handle it from our office for you." She is not even sure if they enforce the tag/id policy for bussed students. She states that at her last school in another city, they did require it but she isn't sure if that's done here. She really has no clue at all! I asked if I should be creating one and she wasn't sure about this one.

She explained that the teacher does make sure the student boards the correct bus, however. And now I'm on hold...

ETA: Will def. create a card with all our info on it and the bus info from now on.

Last edited by keonli; 08-31-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #19
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's ridiculous. So far we've dealt with two different schools in the same district and both schools have a complete list of students and their bus routes, numbers, pick up, and drop off times available on "meet the teacher/orientation" day. It doesn't matter whether your child is carpooling, doing afterschool care, or being picked up by daycare vans. If you are in the district, they have the bus route and information ready for you. The ONLY exceptions are kids that live close enough to be walkers. Basically they have it set up for everyone and you kind of opt out of it by filling out a form that declares your alternate transportation.

There should have been a master list in the front office the office staff could reference.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #20
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Melissa, the staff misplaced the Master List that first day and told me they'd get back to us the next. Apparently they couldn't run another because it comes directly from transportation.

Principal also mentioned that I should always contact the school about concerns with bussing issues because I would NEVER be able to reach transportation, who is responsible for over 10,000 students in the school system.